Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that I've seen over the couple of years I've known MBTI is that I have had a very high tendency to simply "clash" with the INFJs I have encountered. Well, in a certain way.

On a superficial level, me and INFJs get along just fine - we joke around. I poke fun at them, say some ridiculous shit - they laugh, tell me something interesting maybe.

Then when it gets into something serious, it gets very ugly.

I'll express my opinion over a matter, and the INFJ will try and wring me from my 'cold' way of thought. They'll often offer uncalled for advice (which I appreciate little), and interject their opinion.

That opinion often clashes with my opinion, and I will tell them that I do not believe in that opinion, and that I don't like that value that they hold.

The INFJ sometimes tries to clarify their opinion somehow, with an example or by telling me why they obtained it. I reenforce my opinion.

Eventually, the INFJ tells me that I'm being overly indignant, and starts with the ad hominem.

Of course, it all goes to hell from here.

I at first thought this was only between me and my father, but as I've spoken to more INFJs, it seems I have a tendency to fight with them also. It is never a pleasant matter.

Does this happen to you guys?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Yes it has, and you've characterized the behavior quite well. An INFJ and I do clash, but in a superficial jocular way...it's kind of like two atoms or identically charged ions repelling eachother; with great force they can coexist but it's easier to let your outer electrons mingle and repel. I extend my friendship and give her attention, but doesn't know how to receive it and snaps back with facetious epithets. It's almost like childish flirting..."you know X likes you because X is being mean to you". She puts on this mask of toughness, snobbery, and dignity to mask her weakness, shyness, and inability to connect with people. She also lies a lot and manipulates in order to alter people's perceptions of her to make them favorable. This is focusing on the negative aspects of our relationship though, as there are definitely admirable sides of the INFJ I know and her personality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts