Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I realized something today at work - I really already knew this about myself, but today it just really came to light. I like to think I'm pretty tolerant and flexible about a variety of things, and while I hold high standards, I do realize mistakes happen, and generally I can be fairly forgiving.

Today it just really came to light, however, that when someone else chooses to head in the wrong direction, does not get permission to do so, and is not authorized to do so, and in doing so, ends up making me look bad, I have absolutely no tolerance for it. None.

Backstory:
For some context, I manage a lease administration group for a large contract client for my company. I am one of two "on-site" people for our group, and the lion's share of the work is handled by a company hub in Tennessee. Because of this, I end up being the one interfacing with the client and, ultimately, the one held responsible for things happening. Biggest issue being, I have zero actual ability or power to force actions on the hub-based team.

Someone on that team made a decision to try to delay the payment in order to reduce their workload (with no authorization to do so) that delayed a payment (that was sent through as urgent) and the Landlord and Business Unit are all looking for this payment. Since I'm the one in between, and the information I had said it was being processed, finding out otherwise and now the payment is delayed several days from when it could have been made - well, needless to say, I'm irate!

Now I'm sitting here running around, trying to appear calm and orderly while stamping out all the various little fires all the while knowing that those who already don't like having contractors here are just adding this to their list of things to complain about - and guess who ends up sitting in the trial chair? Yours truly.

To add fuel to the flames, I go to vent on my FB (I know, stupid, but I needed to vent somewhere) and two people immediately jump on and tell me I shouldn't be posting those kinds of things on social media (I used the word "murder" in my post, but it was CLEARLY a vent about work crap, not something insensitive to what has happened here lately other than using that particular word) and they got all butt hurt that I would use that word - so ended up deleting that post, which just made me all the more p!$$ed off.
So, in thinking about my reactions to this, and wondering why it got me so upset that I was almost picking up the phone and chewing someone out in a one-way conversation, I realized that it wasn't the scramble, or the mistakes, or even the bad decisions that got me so upset. It was the fact that they are completely and utterly removed from the situation and have no care whatsoever that they make the rest of us look like idiots.

Fellow INTJs, what are some work-related intolerance you may have? I have clearly defined one that, again, I kind of knew about but hadn't really defined.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
This is why some people prefer to work alone or in very small teams where things are a bit more natural and less responsible overall while allowing the work to be done without wasting too much if any energy on social things.

·
Registered
638 Posts
"Too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome, basically, is what I find sets me off most currently. If I have work I prefer it to be my work, and everyone else leave it be, let me sink or swim alone. Meetings that involve 5 people of roughly the same job description trying to do the same work just result in everyone tripping over everyone else's feet. It slows everything down, effort gets duplicated, people talk more about work than they actually work, etc. I know "efficiency" is such an INTJ buzzword that this will sound cliche but... the inefficiency of it is insufferable.

Unfortunately I work in tech and "collaborative" work environments are in vogue right now. I'm rather at odds with the culture.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
People who act helpless about a situation when it's their own laziness to blame. Similar to you.

I had a problem with one of our reference labs. Contacted the rep. She fed me some bs and I found out (through a little light investigation).

Now, I have two styles of incendiary anger:

1. Fact propelled: I get all of my facts lined up, double check for accuracy (there's no stupider reason to lose an argument than your own carelessness, esp at the hands of emotion), and prepare to unleash my airtight argument in a way that paints them more and more tightly into a corner if they try and continue with their lies/bullshit. This stage still allows room for forgiveness/amends.

2. Action propelled: fuck you. I gave you your chance and either you think I'm an idiot or you're just a phenomenal idiot and I apologize for not giving you your due credit (sometimes both, I guess?). Now I just do the thing - follow through on whatever alternative action I threatened (I rarely enter a serious argument without an alternative plan at least somewhat in motion. This type of argument is futile if you're not going to yank the carpet out from underneath them). You won't hear from me because I'm too busy putting your stupidity on display for everyone to see.

So this rep, I start with method 1 and just aggressively put her into a figurative corner until the voice on the other end was silent. I got my way (or so it seemed!) buuuuuttttttt always have that ace up your sleeve. Met with another lab that offered insanely competitive pricing (I'm talking like half price on average). Set up that account, started moving business over. Rep 1 fell through with her promise and I yanked all of our business from that lab. So now she's more than welcome to explain to her boss where our $60k/annual lab account went and why.

Like you, I'm level-headed (imo) but boy, when someone hits that button I'm like Liam Neeson from Taken but on PCP level of vengeance. It's probably not my best look :laughing:

And if I am in your position where I'm in the hot seat and completely powerless AND not responsible, I can probably spit nails. I get so angry. There's no way I could've sat through that and not had to relieve steam somehow.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Endless conference calls where everyone talks about the minutiae of their jobs and I have zero input. Happened at my previous work place. Toward the end I'd set the volume real low, and space out while staying on the line just for appearances sake.

I like to get to my goals rather than understand exactly how everyone operates, 'I don't care how you do it as long as it's done' type of idea.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I worked as a Business Analyst, so a lot of my work (outside of individual projects) was performing data analysis that was requested from other employees. The main thing I wouldn't tolerate in the office was people being stupid for no good reason.

If I create a piece of analysis for you, don't piss around with the document and then come back to me confused when it looks a mess. The number of people who do not possess basic Microsoft skills in a professional environment is bloody shocking.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
I like to get to my goals rather than understand exactly how everyone operates, 'I don't care how you do it as long as it's done' type of idea.
can't help it. i disapprove of the sentiment so much and i still find myself silently singing guy davis to myself all the time. 'it don't matter how you do it, just as long as you get it done'.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
'it don't matter how you do it, just as long as you get it done'.
^ This. My previous supervisor was INTJ and he would just be like "please do X", and I'd do X (probably differently than he would have done it, but same result in the end), and everything would be great, end of story. I detest being micromanaged, and he most certainly did not. He told me what he wanted and clarified questions, but otherwise cut me loose to get it done.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
People who won't leave shit alone and waste time picking at something that does not warrant the time/effort/resources they're expending.

I have an employee who I'll mention something is a problem and it's evident that it's an issue based on superficial, basic evidence. No investigation needed. I'll ask her to write up a thing on it and instead of just writing up what needs to be done, she wastes her time combing through all this stuff, nitpicking, making spreadsheets that are unnecessary. Like what are you doing?!

The prior office manager was similar - she would not drop shit. Made unnecessary busywork (similar to what aforementioned employee does) because she just dragged things out forever. Let. It. Go.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The super-powers of INTJ Intuition and Analysis can spot them all: losers, slackers, manipulators, gamers, opportunists, and fakers. And, the weak, the insecure blowhards, the braggarts, the whiners, the complainers, the permanently misguided, the flakes and the airheads.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Where to start?! How's about I pick apart the nitty-gritty of every miserable job I've ever had. All my jobs have been miserable, so this might take a while.

First job, 1997-98. Some mom and pop restaurant (which will remain nameless, plus it's gone now anyway since they retired). Had two bosses, husband and wife, and they were both authoritarian assholes. Of course, it was a fast-paced multitasking environment, so no matter what I was assigned to do, there was plenty of "peripheral happenstance" going on. I did my best, but I really resent being talked down to.

Second and third jobs, late '90s. Cashier at Walmart (then known as "Wal-Mart"), followed by Housewares clerk at Meijer. Yes, I used to be a Housewares clerk just like my hero Ash Williams. First, the Walmart cashier job. I was so enthusiastic about it at first because it seemed to be so much better than my previous job. People liked me and I liked them and we all got along. But then my co-worker, who was also my friend and college roommate at the time, attempted to steal and ink ribbon and got caught. So they fired him and me because they knew I was his roommate, so they assumed I was in on the "caper." Never mind that I did my job just fine. Anyway, being the "merc" I was at the time, I decided that the best way to get back at them was to go to work for their closest regional competitor in northeast Indiana - Meijer. I was offered two positions and went with Housewares and Gifts & Lamps (basically two sections of one department) because I wanted to be just like Bruce Campbell's most famous character, Ash. I was good at that job too, because I'm meticulous and fastidious and I always kept the department tidy. One night, I went to the restroom and came back to find that, within five minutes, customers had "trashed" the entire department. Not literally trashed, but it looked like children had gone through and left the place disorganized. Well, the night manager just happened to come in at that very moment and chewed me out, assuming me to be a lazy good-for-nothing. Aside from that, I'd also been told the tragic story of one of my co-workers. He'd gotten a flammable liquid on his hands and it caught fire, so he kicked a door open to gain access to the employee restroom so he could deal with the problem. They fired him because they regarded his kicking the door open as a "violent act." He sued to get his job back and won, but they treated him like dirt ever since. Anyway, I ended up getting fired and they never told me why. I asked them and they said, "We don't have to tell you why."

Fourth job (first "real" job), early in the year 2000. First after-college job as an ad composer for an automotive catalog. You know, those free used vehicle catalogs you get in grocery stores and such. Once again, my fastidious nature seemed to make me an ideal fit for this sort of thing. But I also had a tendency to socialize. I always came in about 15 minutes early. At the time, I worked the night shift, and since I always came in early, I'd take a few minutes to socialize with the second-shifters during the end of their shift. I did my work just fine, but the second-shift supervisor didn't like me, so she got me fired some time in December of 2001. My boss liked me, but this supervisor had enough clout to sway his judgment against me. I didn't hold it against him.

After that, early in the year 2002, my college placement department got me another job within a month. This time, as a proofreader for a company that made ads for the Yellow Pages. The HR lady told me that I held the company record on the proofreader exam with a score of 99% (pretty sure the Soul of Perseverance would give me a nod of approval on that one). I only missed one thing and it was something everyone misses. Several of my "friends" from college worked for this company as typesetters, so I ended up proofreading their work a lot of the time. I developed a good working relationship with a fellow proofreader. She was just a little younger than my mom and I was just a little older than her son, so that certainly had something to do with it. It didn't take me long to find out that, even though we did the same job, she was making 50 cents less per hour than me for no reason. That was the beginning of my demoralization in this particular environment. That, plus it looked exactly, I swear, like Office Space. Anyway, my sort-of "friends" from college had apparently developed some sort of attitudinal dysfunction and were constantly on my case over trivial things. My supervisor too. Again, one of those authoritarian conformist "Nurse Ratched" types. Are all female Catholics like that when they finagle their way into positions of middle management? I ended up quitting that job after just over a year because I couldn't withstand the toxic environment anymore, plus it wasn't worth it for $8.50 an hour. I didn't go to college to be making $8.50 an hour. And this was a job my college placement department found for me!

I was unemployed for three years after that. Between the years of 2003 and 2006, I couldn't even get a job at a department store. My college placement department couldn't find any work for me either. Plus, they kept making me change trivial details on my resume. So I'd do what they said, then they'd tell me to change something else. So I'd do that, then they'd tell me to change something else. They kept this up for at least a year til I gave up on them entirely. Keep in mind that my college boasted a 99% placement rate. Of course, I'd end up as part of the 1% exception.

In 2006, I decided to try a temp agency. It simply had never occurred to me before, perhaps because I assumed I'd always be able to rely on my college placement department. Or perhaps some part of my mindbrain assumed that temp agencies were for people who didn't have professional degrees. By 2003, my education was already obsolete (less than four years after I'd earned it), so I might as well have never bothered going to college. Anyway, that temp agency found me a job within a week. Granted, it was a blue-collar job, but that was what I wanted (or what I thought I wanted) since I'd given up on the Office Space malarkey (mostly due to tedious office politics). It was at a mattress factory and it was just like the movie 'Graveyard Shift'. There was even a machine nicknamed "The Mangler," possibly as an homage to the movie of the same name. I developed brown lung within the first week of working there, and I kept that job for four years. A lot of us were laid off in 2010.

Hold on. Let's rewind. At some point in the early 2000s, my friend (that college roommate I mentioned earlier) and I got jobs as vacuum cleaner salesmen at the behest of this other friend of ours. We learned early on what this sort of company was all about because we were led to believe that the people we were sent to visit to do our presentation for the product were clientele who were actually interested in the thing. As it turns out, that was an outright fabrication. The first "customer" we were sent to - sent to - kicked us out of his house. Verbally, that is. He gave us a forceful, "Get out." That was within a minute of our arrival.

Back to the mattress factory. Once again, I was really enthusiastic at first. Everyone was impressed with my work ethic. They were also at least as impressed with my ability to withstand pain. This being my first blue-collar job, I tended to get injured a lot for the first half of a year or so. I sustained three injuries during a certain time span, and would have been classified as a "high-risk" employee had I sustained another. Those injuries included a double contusion on my right forearm, a cut on my right ring finger, and the real doozy - a gash across the right side of my scalp. That last one was really something. What happened was like this. There was a forklift propping up a bale of cotton (typically propped up with a metal pole so we could cut the binding wires off with bolt cutters), so like a fool, I tried to shimmy up under the forklift's bale clamps to get at the binding wires, but I rose up too fast and bonked myself on a bale clamp. I fell back on the floor kinda hard and thought I'd just hit my head really hard, but then it started to bleed. They took me to the occupational health center where they stapled my scalp with eight staples (no anesthetic) and I went right back to work within the hour. One guy said I was crazy not to take the rest of the day off, but truth be told, I kinda wanted to prove myself "worthy" (at least to myself). After a couple years, this job just kept getting more miserable because they kept expecting me to do more and more different tasks as part of my everyday job for the same pay. Plus, I'd grown tired of the toxic environment of Mexicans hating on blacks and vice-versa. Seriously, white people in blue-collar environments aren't typically the most openly vocal when it comes to racism. It wears down the soul after a while.

After I was laid off in 2010, I got some job shoving nails into boxes in some nondescript factory in the middle of nowhere. I had to take a handful of nails and shove it in a box and it had to be the exact right number of nails totaling out to a specified weight. And I had to be able to do this within about a second and had to it continuously. No time to sort the nails to get the weight and number just right. I didn't even make it through the first day. They told me to go after six hours because I couldn't do it.

Hold on. Let's rewind again. This time back to the Office Space job (proofreading Yellow Page ads). Something I really couldn't stand about that job was the pointless meetings. I never understood what I was supposed to talk about, and I was always expected to talk about something. Wasn't it enough that I was doing my job? What was it they wanted me to report? There was never any specificity in that. But screw that noise. It's long gone.

So by this next point, it's 2012. I've moved in with a friend in a different town - a friend who I met through that other friend who was my college roommate who did that one thing that one time that got us both fired (seriously, they couldn't write sitcoms better than this). I'm set up to start a job at a fiber optics company. I'm led to believe that I'll be working with and doing the same job as the younger brother of that friend who was my college roommate who did that one thing that one time, et cetera. So I get there and find out that they're having me work in an entirely different department stripping down fiber optic cable. At one point, two different guys stood about two feet away from me, each within earshot of each other, so the three of us formed a triangle, and those two guys attempted to give me two sets of contradicting instructions at the same time, apparently unaware that they were talking over each other and I couldn't make out what either of them was saying. I was so stressed out every day I went in there and they fired me after three days because I just couldn't do the work fast enough. Plus, I had to keep reviewing in my mind what the correct procedure was because of all the contradicting information I'd been given.

After that, the same temp agency that got me the fiber optic job got me a job working the "Graveyard Shift" at a book bindery. The very first night I went in there, I was getting chewed out by yet another "Nurse Ratched" type, this time one with sort of a hilljack persona. And, as per typical, the first job I was doing was one where the information I was given was confusing. Fortunately, I ended up working in other departments a lot more often than that one. But that, in itself, was a conundrum, because I couldn't retain all this information. Why couldn't I just be given one job to do instead of having to do the work of five or more people for $10 an hour? After a year, I was "promoted" (sort of) from material handler to forklift operator. I finally thought I'd made it. Finally thought I was secure. Finally thought I'd found a place - my niche. Well, that lasted about half a year, then I was laid off again. I was told I'd be going back to work there, again as a forklift operator, within two months. The day before I was scheduled to go back, I was told I'd be going back as a material handler. The misery began again, but I stuck with it for another year. After that term was up (since I was still a temp), I gave up on that place and told the temp agency I wanted to work somewhere else.

After that, they got me a job working as a packer at a company that made modular ducts and dog tunnels. Yes, dog tunnels (basically for training dogs or just to give them something fun to do) are basically repurposed ductwork. This job was so strenuous that my wrists felt they'd been injected with battery acid every morning for the entire duration I worked there. Thankfully, that job only lasted a couple months. I had to deal with the ducts coming off five production lines, plus stuff that was done on a long table in the adjacent room. Depending on the type of ducts being produced, I sometimes also had to reshape metal C-rings (I think that's what they were) to go in certain types of ducts. To do that, I had to go over to the adjacent room (past that long table) with a bucket of these metal C-rings, put them one at a time in a vice grip, then use a pair of pliers to twist them into the right shape, then I had to cart them all back and insert them into the duct, all while the other ducts were being constantly produced. Oh, and this job also paid $10 an hour. On the upside, I was the one designated to deal with any infiltrating lifeforms that got into the building. I've always managed to develop sort of a "Dr. Doolittle" reputation everywhere I go. One time, this one young woman spotted an adorable toad on the floor and she freaked out. I calmed her down and told her I'd handle it, so I gently scooped up the adorable toad and let it go in the grass outside. There was a similar situation back when I worked at the book bindery, except it occurred outside and the creature was a crawdad. I let it go next to a stream. The next day, a young woman told me she thought she was hallucinating because she'd never seen a crawdad before. She thought it was a small lobster. Technically, it's more like a freshwater cousin of the lobster.

After that, they got me a job working as a different kind of packer in the sterile lab of a reputable orthopedics plant (the term "clean room" refers to the room between the sterile lab and the factory floor where we gear up and sterilize). This was Warsaw, Indiana, the orthopedics capital of the world (basically like what Detroit used to be for the automotive industry). The plant will remain nameless, since it's one of many, and these environments are all basically the same. Everyone thinks these places are dream jobs with security and benefits or whatnot, but they're really just glorified dungeons. As per typical, I was expected from the get-go to be able to do complex tasks quickly-go-fast. Oh, and I started out making $7.75 an hour. Yep, not even $8 an hour. And this wasn't a "McJob" either. Eventually, they started paying us more. I forget what the circumstances were that brought that about, but our wage was raised from $7.75 an hour to $11.35 an hour. It wasn't much of a relief, though, because I was still stuck in the same income bracket, and it was still a high-stress job. After a year, since I was still a temp, my assignment was terminated, but no one bothered to tell me. So once I saw that I'd been working without pay, I went to HR and they got me back on the payroll, not realizing that my assignment was supposed to terminate. And since I hadn't been told that either, neither did I. So this keeps on for a couple weeks til one of the gals at the temp agency finally calls me and tells me that my assignment was supposed to be over. This was December of 2016.

I haven't worked for a corporation or temp agency since then. Now I live in the basement of that friend who was my college roommate who did that one thing that one time, et cetera, and I help with any handiwork and also act as a "manny" for his and his wife's kids, especially during the summer.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Back when I worked at a mattress factory, one of my bosses was really into 'Call of Duty'. I always tried to get him into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (which is completely different and has more fantastical elements to its story), but it just didn't take. When I worked in the sterile lab of an orthopedics plant, I had a co-worker who was a fellow Borderlands 2 enthusiast, but I couldn't get her interested in the first one.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Fellow INTJs, what are some work-related intolerance you may have? I have clearly defined one that, again, I kind of knew about but hadn't really defined.
my version of your thing is general lack of accountability, which always arrives in my lizard message-processing cortex as a lack of respect. i can adapt to anything (or at least i claim i can:tongue:), so long as the other person has enough respect for me to look me in the eye and acknowledge that what they're springing on me is a change. crazy-making is when they say one thing one week and then the next week, with no visible memory of that at all, suddenly the whole picture we're painting is new.

it's not really that my brain isn't capable of adjusting. as i say, it's the lack of accountability to objective historical fact. 'but you saaiiiiidddd' is a childish whine i try to keep inside my head while at work. but it's there :laughing:.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So I realized something today at work - I really already knew this about myself, but today it just really came to light. I like to think I'm pretty tolerant and flexible about a variety of things, and while I hold high standards, I do realize mistakes happen, and generally I can be fairly forgiving.

Today it just really came to light, however, that when someone else chooses to head in the wrong direction, does not get permission to do so, and is not authorized to do so, and in doing so, ends up making me look bad, I have absolutely no tolerance for it. None.

Backstory:

So, in thinking about my reactions to this, and wondering why it got me so upset that I was almost picking up the phone and chewing someone out in a one-way conversation, I realized that it wasn't the scramble, or the mistakes, or even the bad decisions that got me so upset. It was the fact that they are completely and utterly removed from the situation and have no care whatsoever that they make the rest of us look like idiots.

It was an

INTJ

who done it!!!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Dominance games and bullying. I mostly ignore this behavior, but sometimes it is targeted at someone vulnerable and then I feel compelled to step in and stop it. It is not fun and also stupid. If you want a promotion at work, the best approach is to do a good job and get along with people.

Also, don't waste my time with problems you invented and don't mess with my desk.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dominance games and bullying. I mostly ignore this behavior, but sometimes it is targeted at someone vulnerable and then I feel compelled to step in and stop it. It is not fun and also stupid. If you want a promotion at work, the best approach is to do a good job and get along with people.

Also, don't waste my time with problems you invented and don't mess with my desk.
Ya.....this is something we are dealing with at work right now....new leadership is busy flexing their muscles, basically revoking any and all "privileges" we had, but ironically, it only applies to the groups/those unfortunate enough to work in the two locations they work out of. They claim it is "account-wide" but actually it's only 2 locations where they actively sit.

It feels like boot-camp changes - "you minions are the mice, and you better scurry when we tell you to, to where we tell you to, and don't bother asking us why because "we have our reasons.""

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People who expect you to be the middleman or play telephone. I hate the back and forth.
LOL, that is basically about 3/4 of my job (if not more). There's reasons for my position (someone needs to be the checks and balances and keep track of the hundreds of things flying around each day and make sure everyone else is actually doing their jobs), and basically that's my role. It actually fits my ADD and work styles pretty well which is why I've stuck with it - I don't hate what I do, and while I have ZERO passion for it, I don't hate it, either, even a few years into it. It plays to my strengths and works well with my weaknesses, although the loss of our previously held flexibility is pissing me off, the work itself is going well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts