Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The majority of the time I love my job =)

I do bookkeeping/payroll/taxes in a year-round accounting office.

Things I love about it:
- Limited client interaction
- I'm given specific assignments w/very manageable deadlines
- I'm constantly learning new things
- I'm given a lot of freedom/space to do my work at my own pace
- Every day is a bit different (it's not really repetitive)
- It's a Mon - Fri day job (I'm free on the evenings & weekends)
- The work requires actual thinking rather than just being mindless work
- It also requires specialized knowledge
- If I choose to stay in this career, there are practically unlimited options for certificates/further education
- My boss is an Introvert (lol)

There are more things but those the things that first come to mind.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The majority of the time I love my job =)

I do bookkeeping/payroll/taxes in a year-round accounting office.

Things I love about it:
- Limited client interaction
- I'm given specific assignments w/very manageable deadlines
- I'm constantly learning new things
- I'm given a lot of freedom/space to do my work at my own pace
- Every day is a bit different (it's not really repetitive)
- It's a Mon - Fri day job (I'm free on the evenings & weekends)
- The work requires actual thinking rather than just being mindless work
- It also requires specialized knowledge
- If I choose to stay in this career, there are practically unlimited options for certificates/further education
- My boss is an Introvert (lol)

There are more things but those the things that first come to mind.
I like the quote in your signature pic. Is it yours or from somewhere?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the quote in your signature pic. Is it yours or from somewhere?
Thanks. I didn't write it, I just ran across it online a few weeks ago. It didn't have an author listed but I just did a quick search & found that it's from Frank Herbert's Dune book series (which I've heard of but never read). It's called the "Litany Against Fear" & the entire quote is:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
@JadenAria, Dune is an excellent series. Worth reading.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Thanks. I didn't write it, I just ran across it online a few weeks ago. It didn't have an author listed but I just did a quick search & found that it's from Frank Herbert's Dune book series (which I've heard of but never read). It's called the "Litany Against Fear" & the entire quote is:
Many thanks, it's years since I attempted to read dune.
I have someone who may benefit from this quote, thanks for the effort of finding its origin.

I will stop derailing the thread now, sorry to all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Currently, I'm working as a clerk for a small town 'mom-and-pop' video rental store with a selection of groceries. While it's not my ideal job, it does allow for a good deal of personal time and provides a high degree of autonomy. It's nice to clean and improve the entire store in small ways, while developing ideas in my head for after my shift. Dealing with people becomes tedious, after a while, but it's better than no job.

For schooling, however, I'm going into law enforcement. Likely, as a member of the RCMP, there will be myriad opportunities to improve society.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love my job. Working for a small start-up in charge of marketing. Complete creativity and budget allowance to hire SJs to do all the mindless work.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Working Loss Prevention at a high-end retail store. I'm thoroughly enjoying my job right now - there's a couple of ISTJ/Ps on the team, so they're great for paying attention to the details and I can generally get along with them just fine, my boss and I are both INTJs so we're usually on the same page about things, and then there's our one ENFJ who, although the odd woman out, she provides a smiling face to the other people who work in the store and is much better at forming those relationships than the rest of us.

Part of what I enjoy so much is the fact that it's not typical loss prevention - we are much more about "prevention" than "lay in wait." Having an INTJ for a boss is a huge asset as well, since I can definitely follow his thought processes and vision. Being high-end retail means decent pay for the position, plus good benefits.

This job really combines my previous experience and wraps it into one job. It's also challenging with enough to learn to keep me busy for years. The fact that my boss has his law degree and is still choosing to stick with this company says a lot about the company and what they are like to work for. I also get along well with his boss from corporate, and she and I have motorcycles in common, which creates an instant bond.

Overall, I'm liking it...granted, I'm just approaching the 3 month mark, but I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon.

Since I'm still planning on doing 3D modeling on the side, I have other outlets for my education and other skills as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am currently job-hunting but I can say from what I experienced from my clinical placements that I will have a love hate relationship if I become employed in my field of study.
I'm a personal support worker or nurses' aide.
I enjoy the people and what I do...but the gossip circles, policies/procedures/laws to remember and also the fact that it is a largely female dominated profession (what happens when you have many women competing for the same thing) ophodrngiwungehfi.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The fact that my boss has his law degree and is still choosing to stick with this company says a lot about the company and what they are like to work for.
It's common to do a JD in lieu of an MBA. There is so much law involved in business now - any business - that people love having a lawyer around (or at least someone with a JD).

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
While we are on the topic, what would be the potential good things, and pitfalls for an INTJ who wanted to take up journalism. I am mostly referring to hard news, digging up stories, and the ability to write objectively on a topic... staying away from entertainment/sports type things.

In "celebrity intj" it says Christopher Hitchens and H.L. Mencken were journalists, personally I love these two guys!

I am considering a career shift in this direction, have been for awhile. Personally I think it is a good fit and gives some autonomy.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hmm... found this,

not the best data.

The present study adds to the definition of broadcast journalists by analyzing the personality types of 138 journalists in 29 Ohio broadcast newsrooms. Respondent’s personalities were assessed using the four personality preferences that constitute the Myers-Briggs Personality Indicator (MBTI) – Extroversion/Introversion (E/I), Sensing/Intuition (S/N), Thinking/Feeling (T/F), and Judging/Perceiving (J/P) – through a Web-accessible survey distributed electronically by newsroom directors. Challenging popular images of the narcissistic, egotistical, power-hungry journalist, the results showed a dominance of service-oriented personality types, ESFJs, followed by ENFPs, ENFJs, ISFJs, and ISTJs. Reporters/anchors were found to be the most extroverted group in the broadcast newsroom compared with producers, editors, meteorologists, and news directors/management. The majority of newsroom personnel indicated an extroverted personality preference.

http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi?acc_num=ohiou1193078984
Though that is broadcast, which I'm not concerned with... and could just be high percent of people in general.
The full text is unavailable.

I'm more into doing research...(e.g. what I just did)

Though from a random Blog...

"In my opinion, the essential personality traits for journalists to perform their valuable watchdog role in a free society are intellectual curiosity, a healthy skepticism of establishment thinking, and a distrust of centralized state power."

and I definitely feel that way, might have to do more with my type 5w4 enneagram.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know about journalism. I wouldn't want to do it, since I'm an introverted and dealing with people is not my strength. I don't know I think that Extrovert could be better for that area. I might be wrong though, because I don't know almost anything about it. I always felt that it's not good fit for me.

I personally love my job and I'm in the company for almost 4 years now and it's not the money that keeps me there (I could work somewhere else for more money, but that is not the most important factor for me).

Short description - I'm Software Developer and work in company that offers business travel solutions. Specifically I'm working on a project that reimburses the expenses made during the trips. The interesting part is that this application could seem and work different for the different customers since they could have different fields in the user interface, different lists of possible receipts types and different workflow processes. Besides anything else actually I'm responsible for this framework that allows configurable settings for the customers and I implemented almost the thing.

What I like about the job?
1. The team speaker is an N - I don't know what, but I know that he is INT, probably INTP. We could understand each other pretty easily and he doesn't act like a boss that gives orders, but other coworker that could give just an opinion. He never tells me what to do, we actually discuss our options and find together the best solution (well sometimes he just takes my word and agrees with my opinion).

2. Since I'm responsible on the project I get the opportunity to prepare the projects tasks for the other Developers - this means that I perform Technical review and give them instructions how to implement it. I also have to perform Code Review after they are done, so that I could check their work (this means dealing with people, but it's not that bad since it's actually totally logical work. I have to tell my opinion about their job no matter if I like them or not.)

3. Part of my job is communicating closely with the project manager. He also doesn't act like a boss to me and considers my opinion always. In fact he asks for it. Like right now his team is doing some project that replaces the framework I used to make the application configurable. And I don't feel good about it, because they will do it good for the customer and not useful for me (and it's important since I will fix the problems when they arise). So I told him that I need to see this application, because it should work for me. He agreed with me in an instant and told me that there is no problem telling them my opinions. He even sheduled meeting where I can check what they've done and tell them my opinion. He also changes the tasks definitions when I convince him that it needs to be done (which is almost always).

4. I have to participate in regular weekly meetings to discuss the status for the projects our team works on. Here the team speaker and the analyst that is working with our team again let me do the talking when it comes to my project. They even prefer me to do it. So they give me the freedom to plan my own work.

5. They also don't tell me what's more important. Like yesterday I had a task with highest priority, but our customer also reported problem on production. So basically I started working on the reported problem and I just mentioned it to the team speaker afterwards. He didn't say anything, he knows that I deliver my tasks always on time. So they don't check up on me and don't breath in my neck (I can't stand this).

What I didn't like? The moments where I have to write documentation (it's a bit boring for me) or the moments where I have to deal with other coworkers' incompetence - like I should check if the test cases are well defined (sometimes they completely miss valid cases and don't test the functionality properly, other times they have wrong expected results, and in the end they could even misunderstand the whole concept). That happens in every company though. I can't find 100 persons that know what they are doing. So at least I'm happy that in my team there is only 2 not so competent coworkers (amongst 25) and I don't get to work with them, so I don't care too much except for the whole incompetence and inefficiency low tolerance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While we are on the topic, what would be the potential good things, and pitfalls for an INTJ who wanted to take up journalism. I am mostly referring to hard news, digging up stories, and the ability to write objectively on a topic.
I considered journalism many years ago. The things that stopped me from going for it were the deadlines, the fact that, depending on who you work for, you normally don't get to choose your topics right off the bat, and it seemed to be more of an Extrovert's job. And I didn't want the criticism (but that's more of an individual preference).

What attracted me to it was definitely the research side of it & looking at large amounts of information & coming to conclusions about it.

I've considered many, many jobs and I would do pro/con lists (written or in my head) about them. The thing about that is, no matter how good your lists are, or how good you think you understand what a job is like, it's hard to know for sure whether you'll like it until you've actually tried it.

If it's something you really want to try, go for it. The worst that can happen is that you'll realize it's not something you want to spend years doing.

Maybe try freelance journalism? That way you have a bit more control over things & can leave more easily if you decide it's not for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was preparing for my job since design high school to Art Academy.
I do it because it inspires me, I have talent for it and makes me fulfilled, i love what I do and I am always leaving everything else when I get new project I am excited and enjoy designing, to me it is more play then work...
And last 2 years I am freelance with suits me nice since I can not stand to be in office when it is sunny day made for walk outside I work after lunch in morning my favorite part of day I am out:).
What I dont like is client often lack in taste, and constant waiting for pay&irregular earnings, luck of safety.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts