Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is INTJ know other people’s personality type? Can they easily tell their surroundings people’s personality type correctly most of the time?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, especially when they've never heard about typology.

Seriously though, I have no problem with knowing people's type but I do have some knowledge. In general, INTJs are good with patterns so we should be pretty good at it.
If someone has no interest in it whatsoever... then nope? We are good observers though. We also have good analytical skills.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How is INTJ know other people’s personality type? Can they easily tell their surroundings people’s personality type correctly most of the time?
MBTI is based on questions, then further observation is required. You can't just tell by looking at people. Sure you can get used to certain behaviours that would lean towards an educated guess, but that in itself is still an assumption.

Jung said himself, that ENF looks alike, even though one is irrational and the other is rational, where MBTI chose to use the words judgement and perceiving, even though Jung also used those words, but in a different context.... wait where am I going with this... oh yes typical introvert stuff.

Questions are required, because they need to test their own hypothesis in their head. So if they are approaching you to ask questions, then obviously they have an idea, otherwise known as assumptions and then testing you against that idea. To see how right they were. If not, then go back, regroup. Do more research, then research to death, that leads no where, instead of just asking the person and getting to know them. Been there, too many times.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do it. Not only is it kind of fun, but trying to understand how people function helps me get along with them. When I spend a lot of time with someone, like a co-worker, I observe their patterns of behavior, and think about what type that fits. Sometimes I'll ask a leading question or two to get some insight. I tackle it a letter at a time - is this person more a P or a J? More an E or an I?

Some people are easy to categorize, but it usually takes about a year before I have any confidence in my typing, and with introverts I am rarely sure - I find them much tougher to figure out. How accurate I am is unknown, but when people I have privately typed happen to know their type (or think that they do), it usually matches, or is very close.

Age also plays a factor: I find people in their 20s and early 30s easiest to type. Younger that that, they are still immature and adolescence has messed with their behavior. Older people behave less like the type descriptions, because they have developed their own individual patterns and quirks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just use the force:

You are an ESTJ

No, I am not

You ARE an ESTJ

I am an ESTJ

You are also going to give me money...

In all seriousness, I just know things. Perhaps cause I can see a pattern. I think maybe INTJs have a similar method.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I am rather adept at the practice, and often correctly type people. However, I use it in conjunction with my observation of that person's behavior. While I can "sing-the-praises" of the Myers-Briggs system, human beings are as a whole too dynamic to put into boxes, and hence the above can only be used as a guideline for future friendships/relationships.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Most people, even people who are of a certain age, have not sufficiently grown their personality beyond the definitive tendencies that characterise their 'type'.

INTJs can easily discern patterns, so once you read up on a type and have a chance to observe a couple typical cases, identifying similar(ly undeveloped) types of the same kind becomes a very easy exercise. It's not even an exercise as it happens automatically most of the time.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Most people, even people who are of a certain age, have not sufficiently grown their personality beyond the definitive tendencies that characterise their 'type'.

INTJs can easily discern patterns, so once you read up on a type and have a chance to observe a couple typical cases, identifying similar(ly undeveloped) types of the same kind becomes a very easy exercise. It's not even an exercise as it happens automatically most of the time.
You have single-handedly elaborated what happens to me most of the time after reading the terminology. Well struck indeed, sir.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts