Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering do you truly see yourself as a 'mastermind'?

My INTJ best friends, they've been kind of a 'mastermind' behind a few of the plans in my life. They just pointed me in a direction where I should be able to plan more skillfully and I'm quite grateful.

Towards others, they don't like it for their strategic plans to be predictable. They tend to get cold because they hate the idea of their ''planning space'' to be intruded by unwelcome visitors. However, to me they've taught me a lot because I'm someone important in their life. That's normally INTJ right?

Just curious :happy:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
A big factor is to ensure that no one can disrupt the plan. This results in our keeping as many details about the plan to ourselves as possible. INTJs open up more to people we trust. We are humans and as such we do need to talk to other people sometimes about our own hopes and aspirations. On the other hand, INTJs offering strategic advice should not be seen as a sign of personal affection because we do enjoy offering advice and insight to many people (in much the same way that NFs enjoy offering warmth and friendliness.) However when an INTJ lets you in on their own plans, then you are someone important.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A big factor is to ensure that no one can disrupt the plan. This results in our keeping as many details about the plan to ourselves as possible. INTJs open up more to people we trust. We are humans and as such we do need to talk to other people sometimes about our own hopes and aspirations. On the other hand, INTJs offering strategic advice should not be seen as a sign of personal affection because we do enjoy offering advice and insight to many people (in much the same way that NFs enjoy offering warmth and friendliness.) However when an INTJ lets you in on their own plans, then you are someone important.
One of the best descriptions of me I've ever heard. Want advice on how to proceed? I'm happy to give it to you, even if I don't like you much. My own plans for my future are very secret, often even from my completely supportive ENFJ spouse. It's a big deal when I let him know what I want to do with my future. Nobody else gets to hear it. I don't want anyone else's input or point of view or pressure. It's MY plan, for ME. Sounds pretty odd written out like that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm a mastermind when I need to be (which is very often), but when it comes down to not caring about people's problems, I give them a bullshit excuse on why I can't do it so they'll leave me alone.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh wow, talk about resurrecting the dead...

I've said this before, but I truly despise the "Mastermind" label. It doesn't really suggest anything other than "clever" and it's not very helpful in that respect. As a label, mastermind doesn't really tell you much about personality, and it's not even accurate. Not all INTJ's are masterminds. I certainly don't consider myself one. I'm very good at what I care to know, but at most other things I'm pretty average. Mastermind, to me, suggest knowing everything about everything, or damn close at least.

This is why I prefer Scientist (and analyst to a certain extent) because - even if not all INTJ's are scientists - it at least demonstrates our sort of scientific approach. For almost everything, I'm noticing that I observe, make a hypothesis, then test.

Reactions: Mind Swirl

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I prefer "Puppet Master".

Dance, puppets, dance. Mwahahahaha!

Sorry. It's late and I can't sleep.

·
Registered
517 Posts

I've said this before, but I truly despise the "Mastermind" label. It doesn't really suggest anything other than "clever" and it's not very helpful in that respect. As a label, mastermind doesn't really tell you much about personality, and it's not even accurate. Not all INTJ's are masterminds. I certainly don't consider myself one. I'm very good at what I care to know, but at most other things I'm pretty average. Mastermind, to me, suggest knowing everything about everything, or damn close at least.

This is why I prefer Scientist (and analyst to a certain extent) because - even if not all INTJ's are scientists - it at least demonstrates our sort of scientific approach. For almost everything, I'm noticing that I observe, make a hypothesis, then test.
I prefer "Mastermind" if just for the dramatic flair, it's definitely not accurate in most cases (including mine), but it's got a nice ring to it. It's certainly better than scientist.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I wouldn't go around telling others that I am a mastermind, but if they claim that I am one, who am I to dispute it?

Reactions: Aaron Boal

·
Registered
67 Posts
My friends tend to look to me for all necessary group planning functions, so in that respect I guess I'm a bit of a mastermind. They'll always overlook some logistical problem, so now they just ask me to plan everything because they know I'll think of everything and we'll stay on budget.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

I have a similar opinion on the Mastermind title. It's not that accurate and I've never really related to the Mastermind title either. I agree, the Scientist is a somewhat better title to describe a way of thinking, though it still misleads some people into assuming INTJs should be scientists (by occupation) and cannot be artists/actors/garbage collectors/etc.

Sometimes I think there shouldn't be any titles, so as not to make one type seem more appealing than another when trying to type yourself. Really, who would want the title "Duty Fulfillers" when they could have "The Visionaries" or "The Inspirers"? Some of the titles just sound 'better' than others unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've said this before, but I truly despise the "Mastermind" label. It doesn't really suggest anything other than "clever" and it's not very helpful in that respect. As a label, mastermind doesn't really tell you much about personality, and it's not even accurate. Not all INTJ's are masterminds.
There is nothing that may be true of a population in general that is true of every individual member of a given population. You can randomly select a member of a population, and what's true of the whole is not necessarily true of every part of the whole. So I'm unsure as to how this is even a complaint. "Not all _________ are _________." You can fill in the two blanks with anything and it will still be true.

Fallen Nocturne said:
I certainly don't consider myself one.
Then if you're not, you're not. As I said, even things that are known to be true of a given population as a whole aren't true of every single member of the population.

Fallen Nocturne said:
I'm very good at what I care to know, but at most other things I'm pretty average. Mastermind, to me, suggest knowing everything about everything, or damn close at least.
That's your own conception based on your dislike of the name.

mastermind n a very intelligent or clever person, esp. one with the ability to plan or direct a group project

That's all it means, no more, no less. "Knowing everything about everything" is something you added, not something that is inherently there as part of the meaning. Not to mention the fact that it is impossible to know "everything about everything," or come "damn close" to it. There is simply too much knowledge for any one person to have all of it or even most of it. People spend a entire lifetime specializing in just one thing, and still don't know everything there is to know about it.

Fallen Nocturne said:
So, essentially, even though it is equally true that "Not all INTJ's are scientists" as it is that "Not all INTJ's are masterminds," you prefer the former and despise the latter because the former applies to you whereas the latter does not.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Whenever I was leading in a project things worked much much better.

I think when people look at Mastermind what they are really thinking about is:

Although we are good at leading in general, we are not masterbaitors. Narcisists are the real masterbaitors.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is nothing that may be true of a population in general that is true of every individual member of a given population. You can randomly select a member of a population, and what's true of the whole is not necessarily true of every part of the whole. So I'm unsure as to how this is even a complaint. "Not all _________ are _________." You can fill in the two blanks with anything and it will still be true.
So, essentially, even though it is equally true that "Not all INTJ's are scientists" as it is that "Not all INTJ's are masterminds," you prefer the former and despise the latter because the former applies to you whereas the latter does not.
The reason I prefer Scientist is because it describes the INTJ mindset of generating ideas, possibilities and applying them in some way. Observing and forming hypothesis, if you will. That may not be true of every INTJ (though it probably should), but it's definitely descriptive of the INTJ type itself. The personality types were never meant to be used as a measurement of intelligence, and personally I think doing so is a pretty bad idea. Mastermind only really describes intellect, which is why I don't like it. Not because one applies to me personally and one doesn't.

If you'd like to suggest another title which similarly suggests this without the scientist connotations, then that'd be rather perfect.

For the record, like @Mind Swirl, I don't like any labels because they're almost always misleading, I just find Mastermind to be even less helpful than Scientist.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
The reason I prefer Scientist is because it describes the INTJ mindset of generating ideas, possibilities and applying them in some way. Observing and forming hypothesis, if you will. That may not be true of every INTJ (though it probably should), but it's definitely descriptive of the INTJ type itself. The personality types were never meant to be used as a measurement of intelligence, and personally I think doing so is a pretty bad idea. Mastermind only really describes intellect, which is why I don't like it. Not because one applies to me personally and one doesn't.

If you'd like to suggest another title which similarly suggests this without the scientist connotations, then that'd be rather perfect.

For the record, like @Mind Swirl, I don't like any labels because they're almost always misleading, I just find Mastermind to be even less helpful than Scientist.
I call those labels bull shit since they are all just to buffer up's people's superiority complex and lead to more mistypes than ever. Going with the pathetic truth is better, and that is something along this:

Abstract Rationalizer, Crackpot theorists...
XSTXs are the most rational types since their analysis is concrete driven by realistic and tangible data.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts