Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you an INTJ and a nurse? (RN) I've got some questions for this specific group of people.

Do you enjoy your career?
What's your biggest fear?
What's your greatest dream?
Any regrets?
How do you cope with work stress?
What's the biggest perk and disadvantage of being a nurse?
How well did you do in school?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I'm not a nurse but I do work in the helping profession (youth worker) so there are some similarities. I like some parts of my job, like being able to plan and organize events, and I do like helping people in a problem solving sort of way. However, I find the work can be very draining sometimes as I always have to interact with people, and also the classic "cold" attitude can be an issue when trying to connect with people as well.

I did fairly well in school though, and my favorite part of my job again is being able to plan for events or activities before they happen.

·
Grim Reaper
944 Posts
My grandmother who raised me is an INTJ Nurse. That said, she got her masters and spent a large majority of her career working in nursing supervision positions or teaching. She is at the tail end of her career (Retired from two different jobs but still teaches part time).

She likes her job despite not being the most nurturing person by nature. She is the type of nurse that may not always be the most liked or adored, but she gets results and is often remembered and thanked deeply by people she has helped. I have MANY memories of strangers coming up to us when I was younger thanking her for helping them in the hospital or somewhere else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've never taken the *real* MBTI, but just about every time I take an on-line MBTI-esque test, I get INTJ as my result. Full disclosure: I've gotten INTP a couple of times- go figure. Anyway, I'm an LPN. I work in an OBGYN clinic.
1- I love my career. I find it extremely rewarding.
2- My biggest fear is causing a patient harm in some way. I think all nurses fear that.
3- My greatest dream is to be a mentor to new nurses, because I really hate that "nurses eat their young" shit. It's kind of true and it needs to change.
4- I have no regrets.
5- I cope with work stress by going home at the end of the day and not speaking to anyone or having anyone speak to me for about an hour. Then I work on creepy dioramas and interact with my family.
6- Biggest perk: I've learned a lot of useful information. Biggest disadvantage: Sometimes I know too much.
7- I did extremely well in nursing school, but I was a piss-poor student when I was in high school.
I don't think being an INTJ who is also a nurse is a big deal and I don't think I'm terrible at it. Being plainly spoken isn't a bad thing, and its not like I'm incapeable of empathy or compassion. Not everyone responds well to saccharine sentiment - often a matter-of-fact approach is the appropriate response. The doctors I work with seem to respect me and I respect them, too. When I'm asked to do something I don't feel is correct or appropriate, I don't do it until and unless I understand why was asked to do that thing. My most important role is that of patient advocate. I do what needs to be done and say what needs to be said. I can soften when I need to, but the only thing I change is my approach. I think a lot of people would be surprised to find out that its not hard to be both a shoulder to cry on and the ramrod down someone's back, and that nursing requires both simultaneously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts