Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the major differences between an INTJ and an INFJ? I first tested out as an INFJ but gave little thought to MBTI when I first heard about it (mainly because it was during a busy finals period). The next time I took it, I tested out as an INTJ (which was taken during a really busy school semester). I got really into it, and I could almost relate to everything and for a while I was convinced i was an INTJ.

However, once school ended, I tested out as an INFJ one summer - i was only taking one class (so less school-minded/thinking-oriented) and not working, so I had a lot more room to express myself (and not my thinking side) I guess. When I read about the INFJ, I related to everything on there and even now, it is amazing to see how well I relate to the other INFJs on here. Like dejavu said in one post, "In fact, it hits so close to home sometimes that it makes my head spin."

The thing is, sometimes I don't know if I really am a "F." I'm so aloof and I can sometimes be rigid when it comes to what is right and wrong. I know there's a lot of INFJ threads/post on us being the most aloof and coldest of the "F" types (or perceived as aloof/cold), but it bothers me sometimes when I feel aloof.. when I was younger, I would sometimes practice expressing my "happiness" or "surprise" for birthday gifts. This is because I rarely react emotionally and giddy and whatnot, but I was always very calm and collected. I got the sense that my mother/some relatives felt hurt, so I'd try my best to visually show my genuine happiness. Also, in my mind there are some things where right and wrong is so distinct (for example, teachers who give an F for any unexcused late paper; and they clearly state this in the syllabus and explains that there are no ways to get around this). I'd feel bad for someone whose computer crashed and couldn't finish, but in my mind it's what the teacher said and what the rules are. I have a hard time admitting this, but in my mind, if that person gets an F, then there's nothing that can be done to get around the rules. He could've turned in at least the most recent draft, or even turn in as much as he was able to write, but it wouldn't be fair to the other students. It's kind of his fault if he waited until the night before his paper was due and his computer crashed. If he started the paper 4 weeks ago when it was assigned, he'd still have old drafts and ideas in his mind, so that even if his computer crashed, he still had something to go off of.

I guess I prefer the consistency when it comes to right/wrong, and I hate it, but I am rigid when it comes to this. Even if I like the person this happened to, I would say the teacher was right in the case. I'd do everything to make that person feel better, like listening to them talk, hugging them if they're crying, buying them ice-creamm, planning an outing to make that person feel better, but I would say that the teacher was still right and the F is a legitimate grade. Even if it happened to me, I wouldn't hold a grudge on the teacher because she clearly stated at the beginning what's wrong/right, and I would agree with the grade because it's logically, reasonably arrived at (even though I'd be miserable since it affected my gpa). And that this experience can be a lesson that we apply to life. So I'm not sure if this rigidity is a T or J thing.

However, this is what makes me think I'm not INTJ -- I consider myself reasonable and rational, but not logical. In fact, I really dislike it when I see people doing irrational things. However, for me, sometimes I have a hard time thinking logically. I think in circles and it usually takes me a great deal of effort/down-time to sort my thoughts out. I can't see the logical explanation of a situation; instead I make assumptions and am usually influenced by my feelings about the situation. Sometimes, even when I know what is the "logical" explanation or method, I go with my gut feelings, ignoring logic. And my dad, who is an INTx, points this out to me... he always tries to show me the logical way of doing things, because I always make assumptions and go off of my feelings. Sometimes, I don't do things because I don't "feel" like it. For school/work/other responsibilities or promises, I always do things because I have to, but when it comes to myself, I'm always like "should i? eh, but i don't really feel like it though... i should... but..."

When I go into the INTJ forums, I relate to some of the things, but then I feel confined by the walls of logic. For example, a lot of their conclusions are reached in a very logical manner. I'd say that I'd reach the same conclusions myself but their explanation, but it frustrates me how there has to be a logical reason for everything.

So anyway, sorry for the long description, but does anyone relate? and can some of you wise fellow INFJs and INTJs provide me some help in figuring out the differences.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
The thing is, sometimes I don't know if I really am a "F." I'm so aloof and I can sometimes be rigid when it comes to what is right and wrong. I know there's a lot of INFJ threads/post on us being the most aloof and coldest of the "F" types (or perceived as aloof/cold), but it bothers me sometimes when I feel aloof.. when I was younger, I would sometimes practice expressing my "happiness" or "surprise" for birthday gifts. This is because I rarely react emotionally and giddy and whatnot, but I was always very calm and collected. I got the sense that my mother/some relatives felt hurt, so I'd try my best to visually show my genuine happiness.
INFJ. I doubt an INTJ would do this... maybe they would, but acting for the sake of others is very much a use of extroverted feeling. You feel that you had caused disappointment to your parents when you did not mean it, so to facilitate family harmony and happiness you put on an act. Acting is something INFJ's can be very good at.

I guess I prefer the consistency when it comes to right/wrong, and I hate it, but I am rigid when it comes to this. Even if I like the person this happened to, I would say the teacher was right in the case. I'd do everything to make that person feel better, like listening to them talk, hugging them if they're crying, buying them ice-creamm, planning an outing to make that person feel better, but I would say that the teacher was still right and the F is a legitimate grade. Even if it happened to me, I wouldn't hold a grudge on the teacher because she clearly stated at the beginning what's wrong/right, and I would agree with the grade because it's logically, reasonably arrived at (even though I'd be miserable since it affected my gpa). And that this experience can be a lesson that we apply to life. So I'm not sure if this rigidity is a T or J thing.
That's neither T nor J. That is your introverted intuition working. You have this model in your mind of how things should be in the world. You build this model using your extroverted feeling and your introverted thinking. INFJ's very much have a tendency to want things fair for everyone. We don't like loopholes in rules because that means someone is getting away with something unfairly. The model that introverted N builds, is a model of feelings, and not just anyone's feelings but everyone's. The decisions we reach are often the best decisions on a societal level and not an individual level.

---------------------

As for INTJ's, the only thing we share in common with them is introverted intuition.

INFJ top three functions are:
Introverted N
Extroverted F
Introverted T

INTJ top three functions are:
Introverted N
Extroverted T
Introverted F

We apply our feelings with the outside world, facilitating social harmony, and using them to present ourselves to the world in an acceptable manner. We can restrain our feelings with thought.

INTJ's apply their thinking to the outside world, facilitating the accomplishment of their goals which are defined by introverted intuition. Since we have introverted intuition, we can adopt similar goals, but ultimately we have more difficulty on the follow-through because we're relying on extroverted feeling. Goal-oriented INFJ's exist, and they can accomplish a lot, but I think the more mature ones tend to not pursue some idealized societal goal for the perceived benefit of the masses. Just an example, Hitler was probably an INFJ. Then again, Jesus probably was too. Normal INFJ's just learn to live here on Earth and don't pursue some ambitious introverted N goal. INTJ's almost invariably have goals they pursue when they're young, that are usually quests to become the absolute masters of a certain field of study.

INFJ's are the masterminds of people. We exemplify this ability when we bring all 4 of our cognitive functions into play and gain great insights into the minds of other individuals.

Ni - Mature Ni can develop a system that understands the workings of society and individuals in society.
Fe - Can interact with society and present whatever image of ourselves we wish to present.
Ti - Can logically analyze our Fe and Ni at work, making corrections, and changes that ultimately improve our Ni model. It can also implement tactical restraint over Fe.
Se - This allows for real time perceptions of the world, which can then be fed through the rest of our cognitive processes. I perceive something with my eyes, accessing my Ni, that perception fits in with a pre-defined model of human interaction. I instantly understand the meaning of the small clue that I saw. I can then use Ti and perhaps the shadow function Ne to formulate any possible holes in my reasoning. If Ti and Ne at work agree with Ni's conclusion, then I can respond using Fe.

The thing is, when you get good at this, you wont even realize what sensory data you are reading to make you reach a conclusion. You'll just magically know things about people because your Se + Ni analysis has become superb.

Reactions: kelar

·
Registered
76 Posts
You tested as INTJ while you were in school? What were you doing at that time? Using your brain and thinking a lot, were you? Not thinking so much now that you're not in school? It may be a very simple explanation.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It is only natural to assume that your test results will correspond with your state of mind, as you have stated

It is actually quite difficult and requires a lot of insight to get the best of these 'tests' I find

Or you could have someone whom knows you well do it in your place

1 - 4 of 4 Posts