Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo. My name is Anne and I've been into MBTI for about 2 years. When I first took the test - which was online - I got INFJ. I was never quite satisfied with the description, but I guessed it was accurate enough. The thing that always baffled me about it, mainly, was the idea that since I was an "F", that meant I made decisions based on feeling. Well, no, I don't. In fact, I struggle to believe most people are illogical enough to knowingly make decisions based on feeling. Anyone who studied logic, even remotely, would know that's absurd.

So recently I took the "official Keirsey Bates personality test at 70 questions long" on OKCupid (is anything really "official" on OKCupid?) and got "INTJ". (You scored 27% I to E, 32% N to S, 67% F to T, and 16% J to P!) The thing I struggle with about the idea of me being an INTJ is that they are notorious, personality-wise, for being stoic, unfeeling, and difficult to read. This...is my polar opposite. I am FIERCELY passionate, intense, and expressive. What the heck, MBTI?

So I'm torn. I'm nearly 100% positive I'm an I because, although I've learned to be more extraverted over the years, ever since I was young, it was still my natural proclivity to simply stand by and observe rather than leap in head-over-heels interpersonally. I'm certain I'm a N because I'm a hugely abstract thinker and am stark raving mad about philosophy. Yes, STARK RAVING MAD, caps and all. I also know I'm a J because, although over time I've learned to be less structured, my natural proclivity was to always schedule, decide, & organize - even just for fun. But I'm naturally open to opposing ideas since I'm making a thread like this to begin with. The F and the T is what I'm ambivalent about, for the most part.

Other personality traits:

Extremely independant
Rebellious
Intellectual
Great written and verbal skills (expressive writing style, loves symbolism & metaphors)
Argumentative (because I'm so skeptical - it's a parrhesia/dialogical thing)
Distant (I don't trust people and I think it's smart that I don't, I'm not open to changing, go away)
Blunt and straightforward
Compassionate
Extremely curious
Analytical
Extreme worrier and neurotic (I'm nervous about 95% of the time)
Good conversationalist
Sensitive
Strong sense of integrity

My main interests are philosophy, psychology (going to be a counselor, mainly because it's something I'm passionate about and also something I know I'll be good at), art, and writing.

Guess that'll do it. TYPE ME.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yo. My name is Anne and I've been into MBTI for about 2 years. When I first took the test - which was online - I got INFJ. I was never quite satisfied with the description, but I guessed it was accurate enough. The thing that always baffled me about it, mainly, was the idea that since I was an "F", that meant I made decisions based on feeling. Well, no, I don't. In fact, I struggle to believe most people are illogical enough to knowingly make decisions based on feeling. Anyone who studied logic, even remotely, would know that's absurd.

So recently I took the "official Keirsey Bates personality test at 70 questions long" on OKCupid (is anything really "official" on OKCupid?) and got "INTJ". (You scored 27% I to E, 32% N to S, 67% F to T, and 16% J to P!) The thing I struggle with about the idea of me being an INTJ is that they are notorious, personality-wise, for being stoic, unfeeling, and difficult to read. This...is my polar opposite. I am FIERCELY passionate, intense, and expressive. What the heck, MBTI?

So I'm torn. I'm nearly 100% positive I'm an I because, although I've learned to be more extraverted over the years, ever since I was young, it was still my natural proclivity to simply stand by and observe rather than leap in head-over-heels interpersonally. I'm certain I'm a N because I'm a hugely abstract thinker and am stark raving mad about philosophy. Yes, STARK RAVING MAD, caps and all. I also know I'm a J because, although over time I've learned to be less structured, my natural proclivity was to always schedule, decide, & organize - even just for fun. But I'm naturally open to opposing ideas since I'm making a thread like this to begin with. The F and the T is what I'm ambivalent about, for the most part.

Other personality traits:

Extremely independant
Rebellious
Intellectual
Great written and verbal skills (expressive writing style, loves symbolism & metaphors)
Argumentative (because I'm so skeptical - it's a parrhesia/dialogical thing)
Distant (I don't trust people and I think it's smart that I don't, I'm not open to changing, go away)
Blunt and straightforward
Compassionate
Extremely curious
Analytical
Extreme worrier and neurotic (I'm nervous about 95% of the time)
Good conversationalist
Sensitive
Strong sense of integrity

My main interests are philosophy, psychology (going to be a counselor, mainly because it's something I'm passionate about and also something I know I'll be good at), art, and writing.

Guess that'll do it. TYPE ME.
you seem more INTJ than INFJ. INTJs can definitely be passionate about things. They can be sensitive, expressive[im one example], opinionated[ok, that sounds extrovert-ish, but i will tell my opinions to anyone who will and will not listen XD]. also, the fact that you're "blunt and straightforward" as well as "argumentative because you're skeptical" is definitely NT.
i think you're INTJ. thinkers are not unfeeling and feelers are capable of being rational.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Your problem is that you're reading stereotypical profiles where traits are of course over exaggerated. Feelings are not illogical by the way neither subjective (it is the perceiving functions that are called illogical, and the introverted functions that are subjective). They are different kind of logic that comes into play when relating to people. This is why T-types especially introverted ones may have difficultly grasping some of the social rituals because they do not naturally have a sense of this kind of social logic that feelings grant.

Main distinction between INTJs and INFJs is that INTJs use TeFi as their decision making functions - extraverted logic, and introverted feeling. INFJs use TiFe as their decision making function - introverted logic and extraverted feeling. So for INTJs their logic is objective and conforms to outside standards of what is logical to do, but their feeling is subjective and internal. For INFJs their feeling is objective and conforms to outside standard of what is logical to do, but their logic is subjective and internal. I've ran into a conflict with an INTJ recently about this - he refused to do something because he personally didn't feel like doing it. Here he exercised his subjective feeling Fi. While I felt it was the right thing to do for the group we both belonged to given the circumstances. I exercised my objective feeling Fe. So I disagreed with his decision to opt out and felt it was selfish. He probably felt that my Fe is conformist and pushy. I am also pretty sure he thinks my introverted logic is essentially illogical because it doesn't really orient by what is considered to be logical like his Te does. In this sense we are sort of filling in each other's blind spots, but there is also obviously potential for conflict.

If you can decide which system you use for making decisions TeFi or FeTi then you will know which type you are, INFJ or INTJ. Here is an article that may help you decide:
personalitycafe.com/articles/28997-explaining-ti-fi-types.html

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You definitely don't sound like an INFJ to me... Can't put my finger on anything specific, though...

And also, have you considered INTP? Testing for the different aspects is just the first step (as you probably know) so have a good look at INTP and others, in case you haven't already written them off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts