Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and researching for the longest ever since i learned about MBTI and i just came across reading about INFJ and it kinda sounds like me because i do care for people although when i read about INTJ it described me to the T.
so i took tests on different sites and i either came up with intj or infj so im kinda confused. and today i saw a post with this quote

INTJ = World domination
INFJ = Saving the world

INTJ = Decisions via objective results
INFJ = Decisions via subjective feelings

INTJ = Providing people with solutions to their problems
INFJ = Empathising with people to help them feel better

INTJ = Interest in understanding how things work
INFJ = Interest in understanding how people work

INTJ = Values rationality and intellect
INFJ = Values instinct and psychological insight

and it seems awesome but the only problem is i am in the middle of all of that
like i have interest in how things work as well as i have interest in how people work
proof of that is i downloaded all i could about all 16 types trying to understand how that goes
and then who ever i would meet of my few friends or others who try to get to know me i put them through the test to see their results and how they react and so on
so could anyone please help me because i am wondering am i the only one who can have two opposites at the same time or be in between something like that

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The difference between aux Te and Fe with respect to dom Ni is how the symbols get objectified v.s. personalized. I'll illustrate an example: I was reading Jane Eyre and was mulling over the concept of the universality of 'God' and its relation to the protagonist. In Te speak, my Ni threw out a pyramid structure separated by different planes with some type of relation between the levels. This relation I attempted to explain away via childhood cognitive development, the neural-chemical reasons for what constitutes pleasure/comfort/wellbeing, and reinforcement learning via societal conditioning. Basically, I was attempting to infer why humans form concepts of a higher order authorities.

Now in Fe speak, the relation between the planes would have been a concept of love amongst fellow human beings with an argument that ideal love is the presence of God as its position ontop the pyramid allows his aura to permeate all the underlying levels. This would then be corroborated by anecdotal evidence of why people often turn/feel God's presence in times of desolation or dire need when bereft of all over love.

Now flipping back to Te, I'd argue that God's presence is no more than 'background noise' of priors instilled by societal conditioning. I'd argue that if one was never taught the concept of God, a man would not have the same religious experience under identical conditions.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
That quote is not a particularly good one. You have to remember that being an INTJ does not mean one is not emotional or subjective at times. Similarly, being INFJ does not mean you're a hormonal mess.

Try reading some descriptions of both types and see which one you relate to more to start off with. I like the ones here as these were the first ones I came across and found them quite useful:

Portrait of an INTJ
Portrait of an INFJ

Also, hang around both the INTJ and INFJ subforums. You'll see by the tone of conversation which one you fit into more. If you're still not decided after that, the next thing to do is read up on the cognitive functions. I would recommend reading up on the differences between Fe and Fi, but hopefully you won't need to go that far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well since i havent read the book i cant relate to it at the moment
but i was doing futher research after i posted this post and i came across a video speaking about this very issue.
so it was conversation between an INFJ woman with her INTJ husband
the similarities were fine with me so im sure im a IN-J but when it came to the differences the started to speak about things that they couldnt stand
as far as the INTJ he loved to book flights and find the best route and the ins and outs of the trip and the planning etc.
His INFJ wife could not handle that
I find it amazing myself and i love doing that and when a flight or any plan i have is canceled I already have plan B , C and maybe even D
and as far as the INFJ she would consult people over the phone and listen to their problems and try to fix them or comfort them and hear them weep and cry and at the end of the call feel happy that they were there for that person
I also love doing this as a matter of fact i just applied the other day for a call center for people complaining about bills and what not.
well someone will say if you care that much for people then ur probably an F but there are times where i can careless about what anyone has to say regardless like sometimes a stranger will come up to me and just start complaining and i be saying to myself why me?
so please i really want to know where am i on the scale INFJ or INTJ

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
so im sure im a IN-J

What makes you sure you're Ni dom? The examples that you cited elaborate only on behavior and not intent or underlying needs.

well since i havent read the book i cant relate to it at the moment
I didn't refer to the book in my elaboration, only the phenomenon of a concept called God as seen though Ni and instantiated via Te and Fe functions.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Both INTJs and INFJs feel, but how they feel is different. INTJs are Fi (introverted feeling), while INFJs are Fe (extroverted feeling). Fi works as a filter, deciding what is worth believing in, what is worth valuing, and what is worth wanting. They may be seen as selfish because they're more concerned about the way things feel to them. They are more concerned with individual values. Fe is more concerned with others, and more concerned with social values.

Have you recently got into a fight/argument with someone? If you have, were you more concerned with sticking to your values (Fi), or more concerned with stopping the conflict (Fe)? Is inner harmony more important to you, or social harmony?

Are facts more important to you, or are the people involved more important?

With INTJs Fi comes Te. Jung described Te by saying ‘It is therefore it is.’ He then described Ti as 'I think therefore I think.’ Te seems more about learning for the sake of applying; knowledge is useless if it doesn't apply anywhere. Ti seems more about understanding for the sake of understanding.

Because INTJs have thinking first, they are more objective, and don't use how they nor others feel as reasoning. INFJs would be more concerned about values and about others involved. Do you notice inconsistencies? Do you tend to weigh pros and cons? Do you want to be fair, or do you want to be compassionate? Is telling the truth more important to you than preserving others feelings?

INFJs are generally very empathetic, whereas INTJs can be seen as cold. The fact that strangers approach you on the street seems odd; a stranger would never approach me on the street because I look very unapproachable. I am told I look colder than the moon, and that prevents strangers from coming to talk to me. I'm sure there can be warm INTJs, but it seems unlikely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both INTJs and INFJs feel, but how they feel is different. INTJs are Fi (introverted feeling), while INFJs are Fe (extroverted feeling). Fi works as a filter, deciding what is worth believing in, what is worth valuing, and what is worth wanting. They may be seen as selfish because they're more concerned about the way things feel to them. They are more concerned with individual values. Fe is more concerned with others, and more concerned with social values.

Have you recently got into a fight/argument with someone? If you have, were you more concerned with sticking to your values (Fi), or more concerned with stopping the conflict (Fe)? Is inner harmony more important to you, or social harmony?

Are facts more important to you, or are the people involved more important?

With INTJs Fi comes Te. Jung described Te by saying ‘It is therefore it is.’ He then described Ti as 'I think therefore I think.’ Te seems more about learning for the sake of applying; knowledge is useless if it doesn't apply anywhere. Ti seems more about understanding for the sake of understanding.

Because INTJs have thinking first, they are more objective, and don't use how they nor others feel as reasoning. INFJs would be more concerned about values and about others involved. Do you notice inconsistencies? Do you tend to weigh pros and cons? Do you want to be fair, or do you want to be compassionate? Is telling the truth more important to you than preserving others feelings?

INFJs are generally very empathetic, whereas INTJs can be seen as cold. The fact that strangers approach you on the street seems odd; a stranger would never approach me on the street because I look very unapproachable. I am told I look colder than the moon, and that prevents strangers from coming to talk to me. I'm sure there can be warm INTJs, but it seems unlikely.
i am in between both yes i get into arguments and i stick to my values but at the same time i make sure that i dont hurt your feelings and i actually enjoy debates so inner harmony and social harmony are equal to me
when considering facts and people i go with what ever is better because for that certain case im just always able to keep the two measured
i believe that knowledge is there for us to seek it understand it and of course apply it
i love for things to logically make sense and at the same time be fair when it comes to telling someone the truth about something i do my best to to hurt any one unless they really deserve it but i dont Bull S... about it i find a way to break it down in a simple way that they will understand and still not change what i want to say and manage not to hurt them
and i dont know how so people see me to be warm because i always look angry as heck and many of my classmates were afraid to introduce themselves to me cause i looked like a devil but others say that when they see me they feel comfort
as u can see im really messed up here
have you ever seen anyone i like me as complicated?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You could be an INTJ with F better developed by society/family. It's not uncommon, particularly among female INTJs. Based on your posts to date, it's still hard to tell, but your style of writing (and the thinking it suggests) doesn't strike me as INTJ.

Things aren't as cut and dry as the OP quote suggests. INTJs can be be similarly interested in psychology, for example.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You could be an INTJ with F better developed by society/family. It's not uncommon, particularly among female INTJs.
This is very accurate, I do believe.
My mother is an INFJ 9w1 and I am an INTJ 6w5.
For a very long time I thought I was INFJ due to having an Fe influence in my life to the point where I actually thought it was a function I used. The noticeable difference seen in public between my mother and I is that she's very good with small talk and everyone knows her- it seems like she can create a community of "family" in twenty seconds or less anywhere in the world that she goes and she's often described as, "too nice to be true". I've even noticed other people trying to find something "wrong" with her just to have some sort of internal fulfillment I suppose. She also won Miss. Congeniality in the Miss. (I forget the name of the pageant- that typical one) when she was in University. For me, I keep to myself, my opinions are my opinions, I'm terrible with small talk and when I'm forced into a small talk situation I feel awkward whereas my mother is comfortable (she is often mistaken as an extrovert for these reasons). My mother (as a child) would do what she was told when her ISTJ mother would punish her with repeatable tasks. Whereas my grandmother (same woman) would try to punish me without my mothers consent when she would babysit me and I would not conform. No one could tell me what to do or make me do anything. Not at home, not at school, not anywhere. They still can't. My mother on the other hand, would take the Ni-Fe approach and she would try to see where I was coming from and try to understand instead of the "you're grounded and I'm not dealing with you" or "go to your room" approach. She likes to have "harmony" in her life therefore, she just takes it when people are mean or negative toward her as to "not disturb the peace". A common sentence that's said from me to her is, "Stand up for yourself!" Also, this is a big one: emotions. My mother claims to "collect and carry" the feelings of others. There are no boundaries. She and the other person(s) blur within herself until she can no longer figure out what she's feeling and what emotions are actually her own. Whereas, I'm the complete opposite. I believe that emotions are your own responsibility and therefore, yours to deal with. It's not to say that I don't care if someone I love is hurting... I am there for them, but it doesn't internally affect me the way it seems to affect my mother. The other thing about emotional differences is that my mother is okay with crying, she's okay with feelings, she trusts her feelings, she makes decisions with her feelings. Again, I am the complete opposite, I hold my logic above feelings and I don't trust them. I certainly don't trust them to make my decisions with them either. This lead to many 'a conversation with my mother telling me that "feelings are okay". I've also noticed that Fe-users generally claim that they're so busy doing for everyone else, they have no time for themselves.
In summery: Believing that I was INFJ before discovering my true type was a lack of understanding cognitive functions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hm I'm interested in psychology, but not because I want to help people, but because I want to understand myself.

Sometimes it's really hard to understand myself, especially when it's about feelings. I'm an INTJ (at least that's how I feel), but I do have some empathy. I just don't apply at first. I mean I'm empathic, but only when my logic weighs the situation and decides that the situation is really unfair and I have to sympathize with the person. I don't do it naturally. And I help people, but honestly I'm happy more about me that I was able to help than that someone feels better. It's not about harmony with me, it's about problem that should be solved.

I know that it sounds cold, but it's how works with me. Also I'm some kind of impersonal when I help people. I mean some friend comes to me about problem and they clearly invest feelings and emotions. And I look into the whole thing as a problem that I should solve. And as I usually would do, I would start with asking questions to know the situation. Then I would come up with a plan and try to brainstorm. Then I would name different solutions and will see the reactions. In the end I might go into the feelings, but they usually don't help me. Just the opposite.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hm I'm interested in psychology, but not because I want to help people, but because I want to understand myself.

Sometimes it's really hard to understand myself, especially when it's about feelings. I'm an INTJ (at least that's how I feel), but I do have some empathy. I just don't apply at first. I mean I'm empathic, but only when my logic weighs the situation and decides that the situation is really unfair and I have to sympathize with the person. I don't do it naturally. And I help people, but honestly I'm happy more about me that I was able to help than that someone feels better. It's not about harmony with me, it's about problem that should be solved.

I know that it sounds cold, but it's how works with me. Also I'm some kind of impersonal when I help people. I mean some friend comes to me about problem and they clearly invest feelings and emotions. And I look into the whole thing as a problem that I should solve. And as I usually would do, I would start with asking questions to know the situation. Then I would come up with a plan and try to brainstorm. Then I would name different solutions and will see the reactions. In the end I might go into the feelings, but they usually don't help me. Just the opposite.
I don't think the first part sounds cold at all.
Have you considered INTP?
The brainstorming bit seems very Ne and a lot of what you're describing seems to fit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've considered it too, but I'm on the fence, because I'm more judger. My parents taught me to respect others' opinions (as a kid I was a lot more reckless), but I still think that there is only one right opinion for me. I'm just trying to not be stubborn, when I help other people.

I mean I usually tell them what I would do, but the brainstorming is because they need it. So I try to tell them their options, so that they can choose. And I try to not push them in my direction, because it's their life.

But that's something that they taught me and I try to do it this way, because otherwise I won't have friends. As a kid I was only about my way. I just couldn't accept that some people won't think like me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've considered it too, but I'm on the fence, because I'm more judger. My parents taught me to respect others' opinions (as a kid I was a lot more reckless), but I still think that there is only one right opinion for me. I'm just trying to not be stubborn, when I help other people.

I mean I usually tell them what I would do, but the brainstorming is because they need it. So I try to tell them their options, so that they can choose. And I try to not push them in my direction, because it's their life.

But that's something that they taught me and I try to do it this way, because otherwise I won't have friends. As a kid I was only about my way. I just couldn't accept that some people won't think like me.
The more you type the more INTP I'm seeing.
Portrait of an INTP

I just couldn't accept that some people won't think like me.
introverted Thinking (Ti).

My parents taught me to respect others' opinions (as a kid I was a lot more reckless), but I still think that there is only one right opinion for me. I'm just trying to not be stubborn, when I help other people.
Inferior extroverted Feeling (Fe).

extroverted Intuition (Ne) and Inferior extroverted Feeling (Fe).

But that's something that they taught me and I try to do it this way, because otherwise I won't have friends.
Inferior extroverted Feeling (Fe).

You seem to follow direction, even if it annoys you which is inferior extroverted Feeling (Fe).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks, I will check it out. You might be right.

Edit : Well, as it turns out I have in common with INTP, but there are certain things that are definitely not me - like running late. That's something I would never do. I'm so in touch with the time that I sleep with my watch. Also as a kid I was definitely more INTJ than INTP. So yeah I have in common with both, but INTJ fits a little bit better. Usually in test I'm like 47 % on the J/P scale, maybe that's the reason why I might look like INTP. The other thing is that I actually know what I don't know (I always know that).

·
Registered
277 Posts

Could someone outline the major differences between INTJ/INFJ? After having seen many INFJs I'm starting to doubt myself -- Nobleheart suggests that I have an underdeveloped Fe.

When it comes to actually expressing emotion through conversations I feel awkward and somewhat tired. But I'm pretty kind, or rather -- honest? I can make myself tell white lies if I'm interested in the person, know that if I do otherwise the person might ignore me.

ADD: Sorry if I'm intruding on your post Secretk, I think we have something in common.

·
Registered
INTP / LII
1,312 Posts
Ethics
Both extraverted and introverted ethics describe influencing and influences on people's feelings through vocabulary such as offend, make happy, enthrall, infuriate, scare, get interested. It appears that individuals with strong extraverted and introverted ethics emphasize somewhat different aspects of this influence: the former are focused on external action as a way of changing the emotional atmosphere (saying or doing something), whereas the latter are focused on changes in the subject's emotional state and feelings as a result of this impact.

The same is true of emotional states. Extraverted ethics emphasizes external manifestations (facial expressions, gestures, words), while introverted ethics emphasizes internal feelings, though the theme itself is a part of both aspects. Also, all ethical types are prone to personification - the "animation" of unliving things ("bad computer!" "the computer is acting up again," "this fence doesn't seem to want to fall over; it's still alive"). The field of ethical aspects also includes evaluatory or emotionally charged oaths, for example "creep" or "mean person."

Overlapping themes:
Verbs describing relationships between people
describes external manifestations of relationships (meet, date, make friends, be friends, flirt, break up, make up, break off, suck up), while
describes the subject's experience of relationships (be grateful, admire, love, fall in love, hate, be offended, be embarrassed, value).

Verbs describing influencing feelings
focuses on the external (observable) actions associated with emotional interaction (excite, praise, get going, hurt, fool, offend, cheer up, scare, make laugh, comfort, calm down), while
focuses on internal feelings (trouble, get tired of, make nervious, offend, let down, scare, irritate, make mad, make upsent, calm). Note that the same words can be used, but with a different emphasis.

Abstract nouns for expressing emotions
focuses on visible emotional states (edginess, gloominess, breakdown, boredom, quietness, ecstasy, horror, panic, enthusiasm, sarcasm), while
focuses on internal feelings (guilt, unrest, delight, pride, annoyance, fright, love, hate, hurt, feeling, shame, embarrassment).

Adverbs describing how actions are performed and one's attitude toward them
, again, focuses on visible emotional attitudes (gladly, dismally, wonderfully, half-heartedly, discreetly, sarcastically), while
focuses on internal attitudes (frankly, honestly, dishonestly, decently, in a friendly way, in a good way, in a bad way, tactfully, tactlessly).

Source: The Socionist: The Information Aspects Revisited

·
Registered
539 Posts
i am in between both yes i get into arguments and i stick to my values but at the same time i make sure that i dont hurt your feelings and i actually enjoy debates so inner harmony and social harmony are equal to me
when considering facts and people i go with what ever is better because for that certain case im just always able to keep the two measured
i believe that knowledge is there for us to seek it understand it and of course apply it
i love for things to logically make sense and at the same time be fair when it comes to telling someone the truth about something i do my best to to hurt any one unless they really deserve it but i dont Bull S... about it i find a way to break it down in a simple way that they will understand and still not change what i want to say and manage not to hurt them
and i dont know how so people see me to be warm because i always look angry as heck and many of my classmates were afraid to introduce themselves to me cause i looked like a devil but others say that when they see me they feel comfort
as u can see im really messed up here
have you ever seen anyone i like me as complicated?
I would take a swing and say you're not an INTJ. Along with the things the others said, you're also doing something that's rather odd for an INTJ; you're asking for help. More so, you're asking for others to help you define who you are. Are you asking because you're worried you are wrong? Are you worried that someone else will tell you that you are wrong?

You also don't seem very good at picking up inconsistencies, which is a general Fi trait. You seem very general and very fair, being sure to state that you use both thinking and feeling, that you're both internal and social, etc. You do seem balanced, but I think an INTJ would be better at pinpointing which is stronger in them.

Many INFJs in the forum have stated that they often look irritated and angry. Cold =/= angry. Cold is more aloof, detached, impassive, unresponsive, disinterested. remote, unfriendly, etc. Often times 'cold people' are described as looking arrogant, self-confident, proud, or stuck-up.

It's also possible that you are an INxJ, meaning you cross over equally (or almost equally) between Thinking and Feeling, although I don't think these occurrences are very common. Take your time in figuring it out though, and feel free to continue asking questions. I know it can be very frustrating trying to figure oneself out. :3

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could be an INTJ with F better developed by society/family. It's not uncommon, particularly among female INTJs. Based on your posts to date, it's still hard to tell, but your style of writing (and the thinking it suggests) doesn't strike me as INTJ.

Things aren't as cut and dry as the OP quote suggests. INTJs can be be similarly interested in psychology, for example.
Maybe you are correct about that and well as of my posts i can easily explain that , that's because I learned Arabic and managed to prefect it even better than my mother language English. so words may appear in unusual forms due to culture exposures
I',m sure i have INTJ in me Pinky and the Brain was one of my favorites as a kid
I'm not sure about Pokemon but i its still my favorite till today!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.