Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know there have been threads on this topic, but I'm still confused and am hoping that some of you could help me if I say a little about myself. I have taken many tests, and they tend to give me a very slight preference for introversion and flip-flop between P and J. Now I'm basically certain that I am an introvert, since I prefer spending time alone and recharge myself by doing so. I'm not so sure about J or P or whether I primarily use Ni & Te or Ti & Ne, though, despite the apparent large differences. I just took a Cognitive Functions test twice, because I was not quite sure about certain answers; the first time it suggested Te & Ni, the second time Te, Ne and Ti came out on top...

I'll try to describe myself a little: My main trait is curiosity. I am highly curious about basically everything, and it helped me to do very well at school, which I just finished as the best of the school. I was fairly disciplined in preparing for school tests; more so than my ENTP friend who would usually start to prepare a day before, but less so than my presumed INTJ friend who would start weeks if not months earlier. I always wanted to be prepared for everything and made sure there would be no surprises for me in the test, which I suppose points towards J-ness.

I love trying new things to see how well they work and am very good at determining what will catch on. I was one of the first to listen to music & watch videos on my phone, and the first to use a Tablet PC in class. If it works and makes things more efficient, I will use it.

My desk is not very organised and my computer, at which I spend most of my time, is well-organised but I don't take pleasure in organising it.

I love generalising things and seeing the underlying concepts. I spent the last evening trying to reduce all of today's society to basic human needs and tried to see the system behind everything. Now that I think about it, I love seeing the underlying patterns in things, which is also why I particularly love Physics, since it reduces everything to as little principles as possible.

I am nearly always punctual and I want to have everything taken care of. I want to know that all decisions I need to make are taken and don't like having things undecided, although I can spend a long time trying to work out what is the better option, and sometimes regret the decision later.

Well, I hope that that's enough for you to work with!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you don't know which of N or T you prefer, did the cognitive functions test show any preference between your bottom functions Fe, Fi, Se or Si?

Also I suppose you have considered and then dismissed ISTP? It covers both Ti and Ni which is a bit of both INTJ and INTP but only the good parts:tongue:

Seriously though does any of the following groups (grouped by functions) contain the top 4 types you are most like? Like if you were an IS, ES, or EN do you know which you would be?
(ISFP, ESFP, INTJ, ENTJ)
(ISFJ, ESFJ, INTP, ENTP)
(ISTJ, ESTP, INFP, ENFP)
(ISTP, ESTP, INFJ, ENFJ)

Reactions: noctilux

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It is not a matter of just 1 letter difference at the end. It is a complete revamping of cognitive functions between the two. INTPs are Ti primary and INTJs are Ni primary and if you read about how Ti and Ni manifests itself with concrete examples you will be able to determine which function is your primary. Their workings are quite different. By your description I would say that you are INTJ. NJs are on average less orderly than SJs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

I've now read INTJ profiles, and I don't find myself nodding as much as I did with INTP profiles. I think I may have written my INTJ-ey attributes and possibly missed some of my INTP-ey ones.

@pc3000: I love ISTPs! One of my best friends is an ISTP, and I have a wonderfully uncomplicated and funny time with him. I think I'm a little too abstract and head-in-the-clouds-y to be one, though. Haven't thought about your list yet, am about to do so!
I think I'm an INTP who transforms himself into an ENTP now and then. That's possible, isn't it, because of the shared but reversed primary functions?

EDIT: OK, your list - first off, there's an ESTJ missing there somewhere - 3rd bracket I think, so I corrected it:
(ISFP, ESFP, INTJ, ENTJ) --> ISFP not so much; ESFP not sure, but not really, INTJ obviously, and ENTJs have always seemed a little too practical for me
(ISFJ, ESFJ, INTP, ENTP) --> INTP & ENTP I can obviously relate to; can't really deal with ESFJs (at least I presume they are), and am not particularly keen on presumed ISFJs (so I don't think I'm like an ISFJ)
(ISTJ, ESTJ, INFP, ENFP) --> Not at all like ISTJ and ESTJ, some INFP properties, not really like an ENFP
(ISTP, ESTP, INFJ, ENFJ) --> not really like an ESTP, but I can see some ENFJ, INFJ & ISTP aspects

I can identify with INTJ, INTP, ENTP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ, ISTP. Blimey. Should I narrow it down more, or does that already point towards something?

EDIT 2: All right, I've now tried to make sense of it. This actually helped a lot since I have discarded every Te option except the INTJ, making it more unlikely!(?)

I've discarded all the primary/secondary sensing types except the ISTP. I've left all Ni types except the ENTJ. I've left all Ti types except the ESTP. And I've left all the Ne types except for the ENFP. I suppose that could mean that since the lack of Sensing eliminates the ISTP, INTP is the type that fits best... Or what do you think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You sound like an INTJ to me. INTJs like having things decided, as you mentioned in your initial post.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Or what do you think?
Go hang out in INTP forums and meanwhile continue reading about the cognitive fuctions and how they manifest in real life. You will either become firmer in your belief that you are INTP or switch to another personality type. Might take a few weeks, but imho this is the best way of determining which type you really are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot, all of you! I'd like to update this thread; I've got further in some respects, but I'm still a little confused.

I retook the Cognitive Functions test and got this result:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************* (25.4)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************************** (46.9)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.6)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.2)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (17)
limited use
Which would suggest me being an INTJ. What is putting me off a little, though, is that I seem to be more comfortable in the INTP Forum than in the INTJ Forum. A lot of people there seem to be a little aggressive. Also, I enjoy the way topics like religion are treated in the INTP forum, with everyone presenting their logic and ideas in a tolerant way, which is not always the case on the INTJ board.

I observed myself a little yesterday and was wondering if you could help me identify the functions involved. I'm on holiday at the moment, so I can't really watch myself doing serious work, but I devised and implemented a system to order my completely disorganised bookmarks.
I went about it roughly like this: I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do, but started right away without elaborately planning a system first. As I was moving things about and seeing the different bookmarks, ideas of how to sort things came into my head. Then, I often have to make a bit of an effort to take all the information and think about the ideas rather than just continuing. This is where I will possibly write something outlining the system (That would probably be Te?). With this in mind, I go about implementing the ideas, allowing others to come up to refine the system even more, moving closer to the end result.
In the end, I sometimes wonder if I couldn't have thought about all the things at the beginning before starting to actually sort and saved some time, but I just seem to like doing it this way.
Also: Once the system is established, I judge it by how efficient it is. I constantly strive to make myself and everything I use more and more efficient -- is that Te?

Is this an Ni approach to things? I seem to do it a lot; I start working and then refine, although I have taught myself to plan before starting and can do it if I have to.

Thanks in advance for your help!
EDIT: I should add, perhaps, that my low Ne score is new. This is probably because I decided to go for "Little Me" or "Not Me" whenever I wasn't exactly sure what the question means -- but perhaps I did not answer correctly because of this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts