Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to type someone for a while now and narrowed down to these two types. I haven't discussed typology with him so I only have impressions to go on.

Appearance/Body Language
- Dresses very casually and doesn't take care of his appearance (though not very sloppy by any means. Just casual). Told me he owns zero formal garments, which is surprising.
- Constantly hugs himself, which says to me he's not very confident, or not very open. Closed off.
- When he smiles, it's a kind of tight smile which never looks very natural to me.
- Face is very expressive when conveying disgust/surprise/sarcasm (not much of anything else though). He has a very distinct "disgusted face".

Social
- Again, seems closed off. We got to know each other accidentally but he would never talk to me first. But once we start talking we wouldn't stop for a long time, which indicates some level of interest in socializing at least. Sometimes seems to invite me to start talking by eye contact or a smile, but when I first knew him, he wouldn't initiate. It got better as time went on.
- Loves to talk about his field, but sometimes holds himself back for fear he talks to much (this is my conjecture). Can be encouraged with pointed questions, but otherwise checks his talking pretty tightly.
- Doesn't laugh much; smile doesn't reach his eyes.
- Seems to prefer one-on-one conversation, though he says he enjoys being with friends.
- Much more talkative online. Prone to writing long emails.

Personality
- He seems intellectually curious; he chose his field because it unites arts and sciences and he didn't want to be stuck in one way of thinking
- Very honest, if not brutally so. He has strong feelings/opinions about even trivial things. Likes/dislikes are usually very clear. But he doesn't tend to express that when he first meets you. After a few days of knowing him, that all came out. He doesn't care whom it offends.
- Doesn't joke much, but whenever he does, it's very witty. Wordplay. Seems serious in general (he even characterizes himself as "serious"). Has a silly side. He also invents English words (his native language is not English) and tries to do creative things with the language even if he's not 100% proficient.
- Knows many languages, gifted with it in general
- Likes to make snide comments about people and things (he also makes nice comments, but more snide comments)
- Not attached to family/siblings
- Generally dislikes group work
- Believes self to be superior in terms of academic aptitude, but official metrics bear this out.
- Likes to tease, but it took a couple of days before he seemed comfortable with it. Even then, he does it sparingly.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
An INTP that is still feeling things out, maybe. Could be why he cuts himself off. I'm usually this way around people when I'm first getting to know them.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought INTP at first too... But the vocal way he always takes a side on everything just contradicts what I know about other (confirmed) INTPs in my life. The other ones always try to carefully appear neutral, even if they're not.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've been trying to type someone for a while now and narrowed down to these two types. I haven't discussed typology with him so I only have impressions to go on.

Appearance/Body Language
- Dresses very casually and doesn't take care of his appearance (though not very sloppy by any means. Just casual). Told me he owns zero formal garments, which is surprising.
- Constantly hugs himself, which says to me he's not very confident, or not very open. Closed off.
- When he smiles, it's a kind of tight smile which never looks very natural to me.
- Face is very expressive when conveying disgust/surprise/sarcasm (not much of anything else though). He has a very distinct "disgusted face".

1) Owns no formal garments: indicative of lack of respect for titles and authority. INTJs tend to move past this "disregard" knowing that some level of respect and preparation for formal engagements is necessary in life.

2) INTJs (that I have known) have a value system based on their Fi and Te, which ends ups only impacting very specific values. The INTP tends to generate dislikes based on "untruths," their Ti and Fe having decided that "humans should never be lied to." Thus, especially in our younger years, we can be very judgmental on smaller things.

Social
- Again, seems closed off. We got to know each other accidentally but he would never talk to me first. But once we start talking we wouldn't stop for a long time, which indicates some level of interest in socializing at least. Sometimes seems to invite me to start talking by eye contact or a smile, but when I first knew him, he wouldn't initiate. It got better as time went on.
- Loves to talk about his field, but sometimes holds himself back for fear he talks to much (this is my conjecture). Can be encouraged with pointed questions, but otherwise checks his talking pretty tightly.
- Doesn't laugh much; smile doesn't reach his eyes.
- Seems to prefer one-on-one conversation, though he says he enjoys being with friends.
- Much more talkative online. Prone to writing long emails.

Personality
- He seems intellectually curious; he chose his field because it unites arts and sciences and he didn't want to be stuck in one way of thinking
- Very honest, if not brutally so. He has strong feelings/opinions about even trivial things. Likes/dislikes are usually very clear. But he doesn't tend to express that when he first meets you. After a few days of knowing him, that all came out. He doesn't care whom it offends.
- Doesn't joke much, but whenever he does, it's very witty. Wordplay. Seems serious in general (he even characterizes himself as "serious"). Has a silly side. He also invents English words (his native language is not English) and tries to do creative things with the language even if he's not 100% proficient.
- Knows many languages, gifted with it in general
- Likes to make snide comments about people and things (he also makes nice comments, but more snide comments)
- Not attached to family/siblings
- Generally dislikes group work
- Believes self to be superior in terms of academic aptitude, but official metrics bear this out.
- Likes to tease, but it took a couple of days before he seemed comfortable with it. Even then, he does it sparingly.

1) The INTP generally avoids "hard sciences," as we feel limited and bound within the field. Combining philosophy and "spiritual" undertones to scientific concepts is not uncommon for the INTP, but much more unusual in the stereotypical INTJ.

2) The INTJ and INTP both can be rather brutal, but you'll find that mostly to exist on the Internet (in fact the INTJ seems to be more brutal, often). But in person, the INTJ's Fi core generally prevents the harsh "I don't care" that many INTP types can give off. This is mostly because early in their lives, the INTJ often decides one of their values is respecting friendships, and have identified (often in their selves) that being offended may be a shift in the "respect" field. The INTP looks at it differently, assuming that "untruth" is much more disrespectful, and often gets in trouble "being too blunt" because of this.

In the online world, the INTJ gets to "let his/her brutally honest flag fly," as Fi and personal relations are not a risk of being hurt.

3) Both can be word play artists, really. But I have found that INTPs focus on it a lot more than INTJs.

4) Inventing words? An INTJ wouldn't dare. A nack for learning new languages and being good at it? A notorious INTP stereotype. (That I don't personally get, lol.)

5) Attachment to family: let me put it this way. My INTJ father, brother, and twin sister all have very powerful bonds with each other, and with the concept of family. It's a powerful Fi concept, enforced by the Te idea that families and friend-systems are of the utmost importance. Most INTPs evaluate their family as they would any other; I do this, in fact, to the point where I find my family annoying. I have more respect, and would jump in front of a bullet first, for a few of my friends than family members. o_O

Well I began saying "I'll put INTJ in red (because they are evil) and INTP in green (because they are good), and "both" in blue." But honestly there is very little INTJ-only traits, and a few INTP-only stereotypical traits.

Having said this, everyone's different and blah blah an INTJ could do all this too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts