Personality Cafe banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tell me how much do you agree with this hypothetical description of yourself, in a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is "that's not me, not even in the slightest" and 10 is "are you freaking reading my mind?":
Sorry for the slow response. Needed some time to think.
I did it this way. I rated each individual paragraph from 1 to 10. I added them and the average rating for the whole thing is 8.25. The first time I read it as a whole I rated it with a 7. I wish I had more time to think but it's getting late.

The detachment thing is very true for me. I've often said things like "I don't care which ideas make me happy and comfortable. I care about what's true"

I'm also guilty of trying to detach myself from my own being and trying to analyse myself to find hidden motives and delve into my subconsciousness.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sorry for the slow response. Needed some time to think.
I did it this way. I rated each individual paragraph from 1 to 10. I added them and the average rating for the whole thing is 8.25. The first time I read it as a whole I rated it with a 7. I wish I had more time to think but it's getting late.

The detachment thing is very true for me. I've often said things like "I don't care which ideas make me happy and comfortable. I care about what's true"

I'm also guilty of trying to detach myself from my own being and trying to analyse myself to find hidden motives and delve into my subconsciousness.
That's very INTP-ish.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's very INTP-ish.
I can't ignore that there might be some bias since this is the INTP forum. Maybe the best thing to do is to make the same thread on the INTJ forum as well and see how they think.

I think the best thing for me is to conclude that I'm actually a dead squirrel lying on the side of the road. Watching the traffic pass my dead squirrel body with my dead squirrel eyes. Also that dead squirrel happens to be an ESFP.

Thank you for you responses. Everyone who responded helped me a lot but I still feel like I can't conclude.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't ignore that there might be some bias since this is the INTP forum. Maybe the best thing to do is to make the same thread on the INTJ forum as well and see how they think.

I think the best thing for me is to conclude that I'm actually a dead squirrel lying on the side of the road. Watching the traffic pass my dead squirrel body with my dead squirrel eyes. Also that dead squirrel happens to be an ESFP.

Thank you for you responses. Everyone who responded helped me a lot but I still feel like I can't conclude.
Idk man...
After reading through all of the posts in the thread, especially yours, it's starting to seem to me like you may just be an...
INTX-Man
cdn(.)screenrant(.)com/wp-content/uploads/x_men_team_pin_up_by_rkw0021.jpg
youtube(.)com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM
For greater effect load both links at the same time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes, i also think you should do that.

I disagree, because of statistics. It's extremely rare for someone to actually and totally be an exception and thus not type-able through MBTI. Most often than not, believing to be some kind of "middle" between two types is nothing other than misunderstanding about how the theory of MBTI works. INTJ and INTP for example, pose in entirely different functional axes. Being a middle between the two makes no sense. It would be more likely to be a middle between INTP and ISFJ (as absurd as this may sound to you) or between INTP and ENTP, because they lay down on the same functional axis.

I suggest this video

You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
However, when I looked into INTP I realized there are plenty of things I can relate to as well.
The two types seem very similar in a lot of superficial ways, being the biggest competence-mongers of the MBTI types and all. But we're also complete opposites.

I'm more convinced with each comment you post. There's no question. You are describing INTP exactly. Hang around INTJs and you'll see.
Have to agree. Spend some time on the xxTJ boards and see how charming you find them (and vice versa).

As someone who's neither INTP or INTJ but knows people of both types, I'll just say: just accept your INTPness
A person who can stand people of both types!? I find that somewhat rare (not that I ask every single person)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Every test but the one you took has given me INTJ, when I took this test way back it said INTP. I'm inclined to think it is this particular test.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It just keeps getting more complicated.
I delved into philosophy during my early teens and I came in contact with nihilism, existentialism and many other concepts that are similar in nature. It's rather possible that I wasn't emotionally ready for these things and they might have impacted me in a negative way.

At that time I started not caring for a lot of things. I chalked it up to some form of depression created by not having a goal in life. It made sense because I thought I was an INTJ. INTJs are goal oriented and it would make sense that I would become depressed and uninterested due to the lack of direction in my life.

I'm not so sure right now. I could be lying to myself. It's quite possible that I was lying to myself this entire time. For the last 2 weeks I've spent a lot of time thinking about MBTI for fun. I typed people I know and have them take the test to see if I was right. I looked into the functions and spent a good chunk of my time lurking the forum. I also have the tendency to research random stuff and just cycle through videos for hours, accumulating random knowledge.

Now the question is: Am I a directionless INTJ sifting through random knowledge out of sheer desperation. An INTJ who has forced himself to enjoy random knowledge to cope with reality or an INTP who genuinely enjoys knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

It's just so complicated.
Not being goal oriented in life in general does not mean you're not INTJ. I'm talking about every little behavior. Is your responsiveness to your environment such that you make decisions based on what you come across. Say you come across an inconvenient electric bill in the mail (this is my take on it at least):

Ti response - why does this matter again? Oh yeah electricity runs things I like. Why do I like them again?
Te response - the shit I do so that I can keep doing the shit I do...
Fe response - WHAT?! omg I have so many things I need to keep doing
Fi response - eww... fuckers.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Not being goal oriented in life in general does not mean you're not INTJ. I'm talking about every little behavior. Is your responsiveness to your environment such that you make decisions based on what you come across. Say you come across an inconvenient electric bill in the mail (this is my take on it at least):

Ti response - why does this matter again? Oh yeah electricity runs things I like. Why do I like them again?
Te response - the shit I do so that I can keep doing the shit I do...
Fe response - WHAT?! omg I have so many things I need to keep doing
Fi response - eww... fuckers.
I didn't learn anything from this post.

·
King of Seduction
7,199 Posts
This is an example of madness:

1) I am too easy going for an INTJ
2) I am too goal oriented to be an INTP
3) I am too outgoing to be introverted
4) I am too sexy for my shirt

Just accept your sexiness and move on

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I didn't learn anything from this post.
:laughing: I wasn't really doing it for you. I was trying to give a concrete easily distinguishable feature to tell Je from Ji. The idea is Ji runs through an internal judgement from the bill, while Je runs through an external judgement from the bill. That is not to say for instance "the shit I do so that I can keep doing the shit I do" can't be a form of internal judgement, especially if "keep doing shit" stands for something internal. When you use behavioral responses to tell judgement apart it gets a little iffy. Instead of dwelling on the accuracy of a particular J, look at the way I tell them apart from each other and it is in this way I was attempting to be accurate. for Te "so that I can keep doing" is defaulting to something more external in comparison to Ti that will default to how "doing it" internally ends up mattering.

Unless you are just saying you know all of it already, in which case it seems kind of like a meaningless statement to say that it's meaningless to you even though it could be useful to someone else.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
:laughing: I wasn't really doing it for you. I was trying to give a concrete easily distinguishable feature to tell Je from Ji. The idea is Ji runs through an internal judgement from the bill, while Je runs through an external judgement from the bill. That is not to say for instance "the shit I do so that I can keep doing the shit I do" can't be a form of internal judgement, especially if "keep doing shit" stands for something internal. When you use behavioral responses to tell judgement apart it gets a little iffy. Instead of dwelling on the accuracy of a particular J, look at the way I tell them apart from each other and it is in this way I was attempting to be accurate. for Te "so that I can keep doing" is defaulting to something more external in comparison to Ti that will default to how "doing it" internally ends up mattering.

Unless you are just saying you know all of it already, in which case it seems kind of like a meaningless statement to say that it's meaningless to you even though it could be useful to someone else.
My point was that you didn't provide a conrete, easily distinguishable feature to tell Je from Ji.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My point was that you didn't provide a conrete, easily distinguishable feature to tell Je from Ji.
I guess I care too much about accuracy rather than stereotyping.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I guess I care too much about accuracy rather than stereotyping.
Hah, good one. No, you just gave some really poor examples of what people who use those functions might say. But feel free to explain how any of this will be remotely helpful to someone who isn't already familiar with the functions and MBTI. (Incidentally, I would probably describe them as "stereotyping" but definitely not "accurate" to anything but crude caricatures.)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Hah, good one. No, you just gave some really poor examples of what people who use those functions might say. But feel free to explain how any of this will be remotely helpful to someone who isn't already familiar with the functions and MBTI. (Incidentally, I would probably describe them as "stereotyping" but definitely not "accurate" to anything but crude caricatures.)
Why are you saying no? There is accuracy between them. But I do agree they are really poor (more like extremely limited) examples in and of themselves, seeing as they are behavioral examples. You can only do so well with behavioral examples.

Well in case the person doesn't know - seeing as he was reading a lot of mbti to begin with so I assumed he did - the "J" in mbti stands for having an extroverted judging cognitive function. As INTP it really means

Ne Ti Fe Si

where the bold stands for an emphasis on introversion ("i", whereas extroversion is "e"), the itallics stand for the judging function at the top half of the stack, and the underline stands for the top half functions, i.e.

Ne Ti Fe Si = INTP.

And for:

INTJ = Ni Te Fi Se.

Yes the F and S are the familiar feeling and sensing. The more emphasis placed on a function the more a dominant role it plays in your personality. So you can see how not only is every function different, but crucially the judging function is different. It was so important to Jung he designated it a letter. Extroverted thinking relies on external facts/judgements, while introverted thinking relies on internal principles/judgements. Hence why I said "why does this matter" for principle judgement vs. "doing this for this" for fact judgement.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts