Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retook a familiar test, and got INTJ twice when really thinking about the questions. I got INTP with slight preference of Perceiving over Judging, but the results were slightly reversed for this one. I noted small things in my life. Do I prefer to plan every single thing I do? Yes. Do I like being bound by obligations? No. No I do not. But, I do plan, and follow through. I think it's like with the I&E for me. It's balanced. I am not a quiet, non risk taking stereotype of an Introvert. I can speak up, and sometimes speak too loudly without self awareness of that. I've been a backpacker, traveling around wanting to see more of the world, and enjoying conversations with people I share rooms with at hostels. Yet, I still like solitude. To get away and think by myself. This goes well with my view on personality: that it can be fluid. Same with the gender identity of some people, it can be fluid no matter your biological gender. Some people take the personality typing TOO seriously and define themselves by their typing, rather than see themselves as individuals.

I saw an argument about ENTJs being more common in business leadership positions. And I can see that being valid, in terms of how those in executive positions would begin to think in their roles. Same could be said about technicians and engineers starting to think more like sensors, even if in another line of work, they might think like intuitives. I both plan like an INTJ, and keep my options open like an INTP, though prefer working alone like both, while I can lead others as an Extrovert when needed. The right persona, for the right role. So, is your type your type, or is there room for fluidity?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's all about the functions.

Some people are going to come in here and say the functions don't matter. Don't listen to them.

INTJ and INTP are quite different.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It's all about the dichotomies.

Some people are going to come in here and say the functions matter. Don't listen to them.

INTJ and INTP are quite similar.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I retook a familiar test, and got INTJ twice when really thinking about the questions. I got INTP with slight preference of Perceiving over Judging, but the results were slightly reversed for this one. I noted small things in my life. Do I prefer to plan every single thing I do? Yes. Do I like being bound by obligations? No. No I do not. But, I do plan, and follow through. I think it's like with the I&E for me. It's balanced. I am not a quiet, non risk taking stereotype of an Introvert. I can speak up, and sometimes speak too loudly without self awareness of that. I've been a backpacker, traveling around wanting to see more of the world, and enjoying conversations with people I share rooms with at hostels. Yet, I still like solitude. To get away and think by myself. This goes well with my view on personality: that it can be fluid. Same with the gender identity of some people, it can be fluid no matter your biological gender. Some people take the personality typing TOO seriously and define themselves by their typing, rather than see themselves as individuals.

I saw an argument about ENTJs being more common in business leadership positions. And I can see that being valid, in terms of how those in executive positions would begin to think in their roles. Same could be said about technicians and engineers starting to think more like sensors, even if in another line of work, they might think like intuitives. I both plan like an INTJ, and keep my options open like an INTP, though prefer working alone like both, while I can lead others as an Extrovert when needed. The right persona, for the right role. So, is your type your type, or is there room for fluidity?
P vs J

INTP
INTJ

[url]http://www.dunning.ca/blog/mistyping-is-your-natural-preference-judging-or-perceiving/[/URL]
[url]http://www.dunning.ca/blog/what%E2%80%99s-your-preference-judging-or-perceiving/[/URL]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@PaladinX I think the functions are important. When looking at something, you must look at the smaller parts that make up the whole. But do I believe the functions themselves can be more fluid than stress induced shadows? Yes, yes I do. Honestly, I feel more comfortable when I do regulate my own life. I feel powerful, in control. But, I also like to be open ended and abandon plans that don't respond well to external factors, as long as my long term vision, my grand plan I have been nursing for years even when off the rails in my life, is still what is being built up to in my life. The plan is what matters, but, I'll get there as fluidly as possible. I think you have a point, but in a different way. See, I agree with you, but, not in the way you have stated the matter. The functions can be fluid imho, but they do matter as they work in conjunction to bring about a Perceiver or Judging dom personality. Let me paint you a vision of what I see: think of the many functions, imagine them as forking off from one another, but coming from the same source, the ocean that is our soul, our psyche. Now, what if some forked out again even further, converging separately in different permutations? This is how I think functions might work.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@PaladinX I know our two visions might not be exactly the same, but the image is beautiful, isn't it? I love art. I know some may also say that makes me a Sensor, or whatever they're called, but, I don't think aesthetic appreciation can be typed. Music, poetry and painting, are universally loved. What if that is the soul? Fluid like electricity. There's beauty in everything.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
@PaladinX I know our two visions might not be exactly the same, but the image is beautiful, isn't it? I love art. I know some may also say that makes me a Sensor, or whatever they're called, but, I don't think aesthetic appreciation can be typed. Music, poetry and painting, are universally loved. What if that is the soul? Fluid like electricity. There's beauty in everything.
Actually, as further discussed in this post and the first post it links to, lots of data, from multiple studies (MBTI and Big Five both), has pretty consistently shown relatively strong correlations between an N preference (and/or the Big Five equivalent) and artistic interests — not to mention various kinds of non-artistic creativity.

But getting back to the J/P issue, and with apologies to Cesspool...

If you're interested — and only if you're interested — in quite a lot of input from me on J/P, see the spoiler in this post.

And if you've let anybody bamboozle you into thinking that INTJs and INTPs are waaay different (because functions!) or that you can't possibly be an INTx (because functions!), you may want to look at this post.

As noted in that last linked post, "Am I INTJ or INTP?" is the most common dilemma in INTJforum type-me threads by a wide margin — and that's because, contrary to what some of the cognitive function kids will tell you, INTJs are probably more like INTPs than any other type.

Finally, in case they're useful, I've put roundups of online INTJ and INTP profiles in the spoiler.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

As an Ni-Se type, this is how I approached most things in general. When I am interested in something, I have this tendency to dig very deeply into it and I feel this compulsive desire to know everything about it. And then once I know everything about it, I start losing interest in it and I start moving on to the next thing. And the entire process repeat itself again, I will try to dig deep into it and I would feel this urge to know everything about it.

Like previously before learning about mbti, I used to be an avid fan of astrology. I spent years reading up about astrology, the planets, the houses, the synastry and aspects etc. Then after knowing everything about astrology, I started abandoning that interest and I started learning about mbti. I started learning about cognitive functions, and I have also started reading about socionics lately.
Being an Ni-Se type, when I am interested in something, I have this compulsive need to dig deeply into it and know everything about it. I am not the type who can just accept things at face value.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
So far, my impression of your mbti type is either ISTP or INTJ (perhaps leaning a little more to ISTP), somehow I have ruled out INTP as your type because you seemed like an Ni-Se type to me. But again, this is just my impression and I'm not sure how accurate my impression is. Try reading this socionics website below, I think this website here is very detailed and it might help you in figuring out your type.

Socionics - the16types.info - Information Elements: Descriptions by Functions

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Schizoid Based on self analysis, I've narrowed it down to ENTP, INTP, INTJ(though that's only because I'm having trouble figuring out on whether my intuition is Ni or Ne and if my thinking is Te or Ti, as I tend to be very plain about myself and just see thinking as thinking and call a gut feeling a gut feeling) or INFP(though someone I know said they don't see much Fi in me, I'm still unsure about whether I am a Thinker or Feeler and have stated as such on a few threads.) And honestly, I think I actually switch from deep Ti and face value Te depending on what is being thought about at the time. I really think all of this is fluid, and typology is not an end all, be all to personality studies.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
@Schizoid Based on self analysis, I've narrowed it down to ENTP, INTP, INTJ(though that's only because I'm having trouble figuring out on whether my intuition is Ni or Ne and if my thinking is Te or Ti, as I tend to be very plain about myself and just see thinking as thinking and call a gut feeling a gut feeling) or INFP(though someone I know said they don't see much Fi in me, I'm still unsure about whether I am a Thinker or Feeler and have stated as such on a few threads.) And honestly, I think I actually switch from deep Ti and face value Te depending on what is being thought about at the time. I really think all of this is fluid, and typology is not an end all, be all to personality studies.
If you've never taken the official "Step I" MBTI, there's a link to that here.

I think it's pretty common for INFs to test as INTs, for the reasons explained near the start of the spoiler in this post — so if you test F, I'd take that as a reasonably good F indicator, but if you test T (and even a relatively "clear" T), I wouldn't see that as a very strong reason to abandon the F possibility.

Especially if you test T, and if you're otherwise interested, there's a lot of additional discussion of T/F issues in the first spoiler-within-the-spoiler in that same linked post.

In light of your latest post, to supplement my previous links roundups, I've added roundups for the other six N types in the next spoiler.

INFJ Profiles
MBTI Manual (2nd Ed.)
MBTI Manual (3rd Ed.)
Keirsey (Please Understand Me)
Kroeger & Thuesen (Type Talk)
Hirsh & Kummerow (Lifetypes [abridged])
Berens & Nardi
personalitypage: Portrait
personalitypage: Personal Growth
personalitypage: Relationships
personalitypage: Careers

INFP Profiles