Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here (okay, you can see that, but ... I thought I'd say it just to add to the awkwardness), and I'm trying to figure out which type I am ... ISTP or INTJ. I wasn't sure where to go ... is this a good place to ask for some help? :)

I went ahead and grabbed some questions.

My Answers:

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

No mental illness or medications. I am a teen, so it's possible that my personality isn't fully developed. I'm a female 16-year-old, and I wouldn't call myself depressed or anxious or anything. Maybe a little annoyed at myself, but then I always am. ;)

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

(I can't post the image, but it was the first one that came up when I went to Flickr: Explore!)

First, that girl's body looks ill-proportioned. Like, her head and neck seem overlarge for her little body. Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me, though.

It's pretty, although I dislike the telephone wires/city in the background. I don't know what else to say. I like the mist. *shrugs*

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My thoughts would be disappointment and maybe disbelief that I was going to miss out on the concert I'd been looking forward to and planning for. I'd be upset, but outwardly I'd keep quiet or ask questions about how to get out of it. How far are we from a town? Can we walk it? Can we hitchhike? Do we have cellphones/service? etc. Mostly, I'd be disappointed about missing the concert, but I'd never let anyone know or show any outward signs of disappointment. I want to play it cool. :p

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I don't want to go. After a long day, I just want to go home and read! If the driver were, say, a dear friend of mine, I'd go just to make her happy, but I'd mostly sit in the corner and watch her. And make sure she doesn't drink. Or simply offer to drive back myself.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

It depends. With my close friends, I'd probably immediately protest and tell them they're wrong and why I'm right (using my own logic system, of course, haha ... it doesn't always make sense), but if I didn't know them that well, I'd sit quietly in the back seat and stare out the window.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Well, if I saw someone doing something that clashed with my beliefs and such, I'd just ignore it unless they tried to force it upon me, in which case I'd have to pull out my logical thoughts and angry self-defensiveness and all that and present a logical argument ... although it'd come out wrong when I tried to put it into words.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I'm a Christian, and I decided to become a Christian based mostly on it just making sense to me. I mean, I was raised in a Christian family, but I wasn't able to accept being a Christian based on what people told me or all that spiritual stuff that's supposed to happen. I'm a Christian because it's the only way to make sense, because I don't believe there's any other way, because when I do research in other religions or evolution or whatever, it doesn't make any logical sense to me the way Christianity does. On the other hand, I'm super stubborn, so getting me to change my beliefs one iota requires me "realizing" that I just need to, um, see things a different way. Not that I was wrong; I was just putting it in the wrong words. ;)

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I'm very frank. I'm introverted, but I do enjoy being with my friends - especially my best friend - to a certain point. After a while, I start to burn out. I either wonder off by myself or simply get quiet and go into my own little world. I don't cry or show emotions often, and never in public. I say things once, and then never again. I hate repeating myself.

If I could change one thing about my personality, I wouldn't. Honestly, I think I need to deal with myself as I am. God made me this way. I am this way. Nothing's changing that. (But being less introverted would be nice.) (Except when I'm not with people; then I want to be even more introverted.)

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I don't feel like I get a lot of hunches or gut feelings. I'd rather figure things out in a logical way or simply not think about it at all. Sometimes I have a gut feeling about what I need to do with my writing (I'm an author); for instance, this character needs to do this, and I don't know why, but she's going to and we'll figure it out later.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I don't feel like anything energizes me at this point. xD Really, though, not being with people ... or sleeping ... or eating. Find those all exhausting. I love reading and blogging and writing. All those kind of relax me ... but sometimes they're stressful. I simultaneously love and hate deadlines for that reason. :-/ I also love having a serious conversation in which I get to figure things out with someone, from moral quandaries to fixing plot holes. Oh, talking about my books! That's always super relaxing. Though it must be annoying for the person who has to listen!

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Everything? I always feel like I'm acting now, even when I'm not. I have no clue why. I think perhaps I just don't want to have to deal with people judging my every little move all the time. (I have two older sisters who are both ... I don't know what they are. But they're very opinionated.) I think I kind I can't really trust anyone with all of myself. (Which is a maturity issue, I'm sure.) I'm very conscious about everything I do, and at the same time I'm pretty laid-back and relaxed.

Thanks for any help you're able to give me!

~Kell

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi, I'm new here (okay, you can see that, but ... I thought I'd say it just to add to the awkwardness), and I'm trying to figure out which type I am ... ISTP or INTJ. I wasn't sure where to go ... is this a good place to ask for some help? :)
Between the two, ISTP fits not INTJ.

tell them they're wrong and why I'm right (using my own logic system, of course, haha ... it doesn't always make sense),
I'd just ignore it unless they tried to force it upon me, in which case I'd have to pull out my logical thoughts and angry self-defensiveness and all that and present a logical argument ... although it'd come out wrong when I tried to put it into words.
I'm a Christian because it's the only way to make sense, because I don't believe there's any other way, because when I do research in other religions or evolution or whatever, it doesn't make any logical sense to me the way Christianity does.
Hi, I'm new here (okay, you can see that, but ... I thought I'd say it just to add to the awkwardness),
Ti/Fe. Te is more straightforward, and.. well obstinate. Less apologetic. Ti tends to be more confusing when voiced cause it makes sense to you and inside your head but is frequently very hard to state in a straightforward manner than makes sense to others. I have this issue alot. lol. Plus you mentioning having your own 'logic system' is a Ti statement to make. Ti is all about subjective logic.

Everything? I always feel like I'm acting now, even when I'm not. I have no clue why. I think perhaps I just don't want to have to deal with people judging my every little move all the time.
Low Fe use. Low Fe tends shows up as either accidentally hurting people's feelings and realizing after the fact or self consciousness.

I honestly didn't notice anything that specifically indicated Se/Ni but I noticed the two types you picked shared those functions so that's a hint that you probably have them. Your being young could by why I'm not seeing it very strongly.
Have you looked into the functions?

Side note that is irrelevant to typing you:
I'm a Christian because it's the only way to make sense, because I don't believe there's any other way, because when I do research in other religions or evolution or whatever, it doesn't make any logical sense to me the way Christianity does.
I'm in agreement with this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, @Hunter1611! I think I'm probably ISTP. One of the major reasons I doubt it is because my sister insists I'm J, and she always seems to know what she's talking about ... sometimes. I suppose because I didn't like it when she wandered into my room and messed with my stuff, and also because I'm very determined that what I think is right is right & that my absolutes are the right absolutes (which annoys her ENFP self, I think). I also tend to keep my mouth shut around her because it never seems to go well. :dry:

I just read a little about Se and Ni, and they both seem a lot like me. Especially Ni ... the "epiphany moments," haha.

(In response to the side note: awesome! :happy: )

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you, @Hunter1611 ! I think I'm probably ISTP. One of the major reasons I doubt it is because my sister insists I'm J, and she always seems to know what she's talking about ... sometimes. I suppose because I didn't like it when she wandered into my room and messed with my stuff, and also because I'm very determined that what I think is right is right & that my absolutes are the right absolutes (which annoys her ENFP self, I think). I also tend to keep my mouth shut around her because it never seems to go well. :dry:

I just read a little about Se and Ni, and they both seem a lot like me. Especially Ni ... the "epiphany moments," haha.
Ha ha, so I have an INFP sister and when were still at home, she also liked to mess with my stuff, assuming it was ok. When I got it into her head that that is wasn't, she would then take the hurt and offended route because I "didn't trust her with my stuff". I would be like.. "Yup... I've seen the way you treat your laptop. Don't touch mine".
Having personal boundaries does not equal J.

Absolutes tend to point toward Te/Fi, but at the same time, we all have our own standards and morals so only a real unhealthy human being has no moral absolutes. So it's going to span beyond morals.. and be more about how you are at home vs in public..because we all get judgy at home where we're comfortable. There's this guy in my church who is an INTJ, and every statement he makes sounds absolute. It's hilarious. Whether he's making a joke, and stating an opinion, he is stating it like it's a fact. He also tends to be pretty straightforward and speak his mind, so combining that with the aforementioned and his witty, dry humor, he has accidentally offended people in the past. The sarcastic ones in the lot (including myself) laugh it all off cause we just know the way he is and that he doesn't actually mean anything by it.

But branching away from speech patterns, Te in general tends to extravert order and structure. So a Te user will appear to have a natural sense of order and structure. They'll be relatively consistent in what they do, and how they do it. They'll go for the more efficient way possible, and only switch up what they do if they find a more efficient way.
I, as in ISTP, am just kind of.. random. I do things one way one day..and another way another day. Drives my ISTJ husband crazy at times. I'm organized enough for my liking, usually...Sometimes I wish I could be a bit more consistent and structured and scheduled but overall, schedules feel like a cage so I can't do it. I also hate explaining half baked thoughts cause my thoughts are not linear so it's very hard to explain why I'm thinking what I'm thinking and sometimes what I'm thinking is wrong cause I'm still working my way to what makes sense or I haven't yet managed to put words to the impressions I have... My ISTJ husband is the opposite.

But yeah, glad you've figure out your type. I probably didn't need to type all that stuff out. >.>

Reactions: KellBell

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Thank you, @Hunter1611! I think I'm probably ISTP. One of the major reasons I doubt it is because my sister insists I'm J, and she always seems to know what she's talking about ... sometimes.
ISTPs are J types.
They're "inner" J types, leading with an introverted judging function, Ti.

All the J stereotypes, apply them to your own inner world and the way you think and come to decisions.
That's an IxTP.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
You're an ISTP. Too much Se to be an INTJ and I don't see a whole lot of Te.

Reactions: KellBell
1 - 7 of 7 Posts