Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone want to take a stab at this? Different tests give results as varied as INTJ (this one comes up most often), ISFP, ISFJ and ISTJ. Cognitive profile as follows:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)* *****************(15.6)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si)* *****************************(27.8)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)* **************************(24.9)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)* **********************************(32.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te)* *****************************************(39.9)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti)* *******************************(29.8)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)* ******************************(28.7)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi)* ******************************************(40.7)
excellent use

I am on the line between E and I...depends on the day and I honestly cannot tell you which I naturally prefer. I get energy from people and solitude equally.

Don't know about S or N. Probably T but not certain. Definitely J.

Not INFJ--have a friend who is that and we are definitely different. She described her first impression of me as "reserved and mysterious"(!).

Most personality tests give me INTJ, but I am quite people-oriented. I'm a nurse working in an emotionally-draining specialty, which I love. I'm not sure that I'm as emotionally distant as most INTJs are typed to be.

The more I read about the cognitive functions the more confused and irritated I get. Someone else take a stab at this please!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Cognitive Functions: if you only look at the strongest of each pair, then Fi - Te - Ni - Ti - Fe - Si - Ne - Se can simplify to Fi - Te - Ni - Si. Still, it would take a lot of work to fudge that stack into something with a good 4-letter code (although INTJ comes closest: Fi - Te - Ni - Si versus Ni - Te - Fi - Se), so I think you're one of the people - and there are a lot of them - who would lose too much valuable info for the translation (list of functions => XXXX) to be worth the effort.

MyersBriggs:
I am on the line between E and I...depends on the day and I honestly cannot tell you which I naturally prefer. I get energy from people and solitude equally.
Don't worry about that: human beings are continuous, not binary, so if you're only 49% Introverted / 51% Extraverted or something like that, then saying "neutral" is actually more informative than picking one side or the other.

Not INFJ--have a friend who is that and we are definitely different.
Hitler was an INFJ too, that doesn't mean that Gandhi wasn't :wink:

Most personality tests give me INTJ, but I am quite people-oriented. I'm a nurse working in an emotionally-draining specialty, which I love. I'm not sure that I'm as emotionally distant as most INTJs are typed to be.
Thinking doesn't mean "doesn't have emotions" it means "doesn't use emotionality as the basis for important decision-making." The medical word for "doesn't have emotions" is Psychopath, not Thinker, and Psychopaths only make up 4% of the population, whereas Thinkers make up all of 40%.

Do you love the emotionality itself of your job, or do you love helping people through situations that just happen to be emotional as a side-note?

Still - just going by what you've already said - it sounds like you're a -NTJ who cares about people, but who's taken tests that were biased towards "Feelers care about people, Thinkers don't."

The more I read about the cognitive functions the more confused and irritated I get. Someone else take a stab at this please!
Been there :wink:

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
@5678 I just took a similar test.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.1)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************** (46)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************** (14.7)
unused
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.9)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************************************** (54.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.7)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********** (11.8)
unused
This doesn't actually mean Ti is my dominant function. It just means that on 48 question assessment, my type could become apparent. Cognitive functions are just as much philosophy as they are skills. My Te is pretty good, if I'm having to be efficient, but it isn't how I judge the world. From this one test, alone, I'm not going to say "Yeah, I'm an ENTP who prefers Ti over Ne." That's a dumb conclusion. If I really want an accurate test, then 500 questions would be better and make them multiple choice. Instead, I'm an ENTP with strong supporting Ti. My Fe is also pretty high, as a skill, but poor as a philosophy. This is all do to the fact that I have very little emotions.

These tests give framework, however, so see how you are developing. Your type indicates cognitive preference, but does guarantee cognitive maturity. If you are an INTJ, then you are energized by Ni and Te. You also have your own values (Fi) which is good because it shows cognitive maturity. You're not some weird Fi-Te-Ni-Ti monster that @Simpson17866 believes. The test you took just measured it based on a scale.

If function stacks confuse you, try reading about dichotomies. The pole axis explains our judgment and perception.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cognitive Functions: if you only look at the strongest of each pair, then Fi - Te - Ni - Ti - Fe - Si - Ne - Se can simplify to Fi - Te - Ni - Si. Still, it would take a lot of work to fudge that stack into something with a good 4-letter code (although INTJ comes closest: Fi - Te - Ni - Si versus Ni - Te - Fi - Se), so I think you're one of the people - and there are a lot of them - who would lose too much valuable info for the translation (list of functions => XXXX) to be worth the effort.
Good to know. I had taken the strongest of each pair as well and couldn't come up with much. I definitely started to think I was wasting my time and not getting anything out of it! :) I was not aware that there are people who just don't fit into a code well.

Do you love the emotionality itself of your job, or do you love helping people through situations that just happen to be emotional as a side-note?
The latter, without a shred of doubt. If every patient affected me emotionally I could never do my job. Perhaps it's the T side of me that enables me to split the emotions from the work? But the developed Fi and caring for others which makes me love it?

Still - just going by what you've already said - it sounds like you're a -NTJ who cares about people, but who's taken tests that were biased towards "Feelers care about people, Thinkers don't."
Possible...I guess that bias is fairly common!

I'm still not clear on whether I'm S or N. According to that test I would be N. However I do have a great memory for specific details and conversations, drive people crazy with my eye for errors and typos, and while studying remember what pages look like and where a diagram or sentence was on a page. Do you think this is just part of the S side of me, while N dominates?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Good to know. I had taken the strongest of each pair as well and couldn't come up with much. I definitely started to think I was wasting my time and not getting anything out of it! :) I was not aware that there are people who just don't fit into a code well.

The latter, without a shred of doubt. If every patient affected me emotionally I could never do my job. Perhaps it's the T side of me that enables me to split the emotions from the work? But the developed Fi and caring for others which makes me love it?

I'm still not clear on whether I'm S or N. According to that test I would be N. However I do have a great memory for specific details and conversations, drive people crazy with my eye for errors and typos, and while studying remember what pages look like and where a diagram or sentence was on a page. Do you think this is just part of the S side of me, while N dominates?

intj. really strong Fi for an INTJ. How old are you? Male or female? Female builds Fi easier than most guys.

All the stuff you are mentioning about s vs n is all Ni. You dig deep. Not much Ne in you in this writing. Te. you ASSUMED categories were fixed and non movable, and bin like, just like a perfect little INTJ world.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Which is precisely why I doubted being one!

Female, late 20s.
IQ mid 130's.

Like I said, Fi third function develops early 20's for someone with your brain horsepower, and it develops earlier for female. I work with a female INTJ who has VERY high Fi. Meeting her for a short period of time she comes across as a quiet ENFP. Longer it looks like INFJ. Still longer yet, I was like WTF.

I asked her, and INTJ, then she shared some stuff, and yup. Also dated an INTJ who had lots of something which I call love. Almost fe'ish, but is INTJ with lots of Fi and love.

'tis all good.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Don't worry about it :wink: There are 40,320 ways of ordering cognitive functions from strongest to weakest, and just looking at the strongest of each pair still only brings it down to 384. It is mathematically impossible to cram all of those possibilities into just 16 categories - and believe me, I've tried - without sacrificing a lot of the specific information that would've made looking at the cognitive functions worthwhile in the first place.

I personally am lucky that my cognitive functions even come close to a 4-letter code according to the most accepted system (ENFP is supposed to be Ne-Fi-Te-Si) but a lot of people don't even get that much.

My 4-letter MyersBriggs code is INTP (I = self-contained, N = abstracting, T = impersonal, P = disorganized), and my cognitive functions list is Ne-Fi-Ti-Si. The fact that my cognitive functions list comes so close to also having a 4-letter code (ENxP = Ne-x-x-Si, ExFP = x-Fi-Te-x, Ne-Fi-Ti-Si ≈ Ne-Fi-Te-Si) is simply a freak accident of probability, not proof of some standard that other people should be asked to put above their own identities.

If your MyersBriggs 4-letter code is -NTJ and your Cognitive Functions 4-letter code can only be called "other," then that doesn't mean you're broken, it doesn't mean you're unhealthy, it doesn't mean that you don't exist, and it certainly doesn't make you a monster. It makes you a person.

Sounds good to me.

Yes, yes it is :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me. Spectra (100% S through 50/50 through 100% N), not one or the other :wink:

Anytime. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.If your MyersBriggs 4-letter code is -NTJ and your Cognitive Functions 4-letter code can only be called "other," then that doesn't mean you're broken, it doesn't mean you're unhealthy, it doesn't mean that you don't exist, and it certainly doesn't make you a monster. It makes you a person.
Well said. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts