Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you out there? Do you think personality influences the success or failure of a specific method of quitting? Or is this just one of those things that doesn't vary between personalities and purely a physical thing. Any thoughts? Just curious. Any INTJ ex-smokers? How did you get it done?

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Ex smoker, but never excessive. I don't really think I have an addictive personality.

Mostly during social occasions, and still have the occasional puff.

Breakfast used to consist of an espresso and a cigarette. Following in my parents' footsteps I suppose.

I stopped smoking one day, because I thought it was a waste of money. The end, never really put much thought into it, when I decide to do something I can get very tunnel visioned.

As for whether or not this is effected by MBTI I cannot say, as I don't know enough about the other types but I can give my own assumptions. I do think judgers could have a higher success rate in quitting due to their nature to make up their mind and stick to it as opposed to wavering from one thing to the next.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have an addictive personality. I've never let myself take part in hard drugs even though I've been around it because I knew if I had a taste, knowing me, I'd spin out of control.

As for whether or not this is effected by MBTI I cannot say, as I don't know enough about the other types but I can give my own assumptions. I do think judgers could have a higher success rate in quitting due to their nature to make up their mind and stick to it as opposed to wavering from one thing to the next.
I really do hope your assumptions are right about judgers in my case.

I am really glad you didn't let it get to a point of excess. Smoking is terrible, and I wouldn't want anyone to get addicted to this crap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quit smoking as of March 1 of this year, with one occasion of falling off the proverbial "wagon, as it were. Now to get off these disgusting nicotine tablets so I can get on with my life, lulz.

Basically, I began by cutting back. By the time I was down to five per day, I couldn't just...stop.... So, I got on these nicotine tablets and they helped tremendously, but not without withdrawal at first. As time has passed, the "nicotine fits" have decreased dramatically. However, occasionally, I will walk by a smoker and want to inhale their fumes- Lovely, eh? So yeah, I presume this will take years to fully be free of that twenty year long habit... Le sigh.

I'm not going to presume my ability to quit has anything to do with my personality type as that would be pure speculation, but I will say that it's well worth the pain associated with quitting. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time. Expect relapses (or at the very least, some pretty strong temptation to relapse) and as conventional wisdom would recommend, remember to take it one day, one nasty, chalky nicotine tablet at a time.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Jomama

INTJ/Enneagram 5w6/RCOEI

·
Registered
59 Posts
Smoking pipe , Cigar, Hookah , from time to time on the occasion or during the mood swings . I am not an addictive individual , I am capable of abandoning this addiction any time :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any of you out there? Do you think personality influences the success or failure of a specific method of quitting? Or is this just one of those things that doesn't vary between personalities and purely a physical thing. Any thoughts? Just curious. Any INTJ ex-smokers? How did you get it done?
It's funny but when I was younger my friends all smoked, and I tried hard to get addicted to it-- but never could. I would just bum a cig or two off my buds when they smoked, but would go months/years in between a smoke. I do smoke a cigar on occasion though.

I'm not sure INTJ has anything to do with whether you have an addictive personality or not. I know that I don't have one--- I can't seem to get addicted to anything really.

Are you a smoker trying to quit?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I've quit multiple times, often for years. I once quit on the spur of the moment and never touched another for 2 and a half years. I most recently quit about 3 months ago.

Not a time to quit smoking kids, hahaha But I fucking did it. And yes, I miss' em. It is hard to quit smoking. Everyone of them looks real good to me right now. Every cigarette looks like it was made by God, rolled by Jesus, and moistened shut with Claudia Schiffer's pussy right now Wwwww. "Golly that looks tasty".

- Bill Hicks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Smoking pipe , Cigar, Hookah , from time to time on the occasion or during the mood swings . I am not an addictive individual , I am capable of abandoning this addiction any time :wink:
Now that stuff, or shisha as I'd call it, I strictly haven't quit. Have only found the time to do it a few times in the last few months, but I used to do it several times a week.

As I live in the Middle East, it's hard to avoid as it's everywhere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now that stuff, or shisha as I'd call it, I strictly haven't quit. Have only found the time to do it a few times in the last few months, but I used to do it several times a week.

Hookah's rock! Especially when you replace the water with wine. :happy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quit smoking as of March 1 of this year, with one occasion of falling off the proverbial "wagon, as it were. Now to get off these disgusting nicotine tablets so I can get on with my life, lulz.

Basically, I began by cutting back. By the time I was down to five per day, I couldn't just...stop.... So, I got on these nicotine tablets and they helped tremendously, but not without withdrawal at first. As time has passed, the "nicotine fits" have decreased dramatically. However, occasionally, I will walk by a smoker and want to inhale their fumes- Lovely, eh? So yeah, I presume this will take years to fully be free of that twenty year long habit... Le sigh.

I'm not going to presume my ability to quit has anything to do with my personality type as that would be pure speculation, but I will say that it's well worth the pain associated with quitting. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time. Expect relapses (or at the very least, some pretty strong temptation to relapse) and as conventional wisdom would recommend, remember to take it one day, one nasty, chalky nicotine tablet at a time.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Jomama

INTJ/Enneagram 5w6/RCOEI
Thanks so much, I really welcome the support. And CONGRATS on quitting, it's no easy task! Keep going and stay strong. You are pretty much out of the woods. These things can really be quite a struggle to quit, and it's commendable you've done so well. Maybe I should really give those nicotine tablets a go.

Thanks for the luck and the good advice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's funny but when I was younger my friends all smoked, and I tried hard to get addicted to it-- but never could. I would just bum a cig or two off my buds when they smoked, but would go months/years in between a smoke. I do smoke a cigar on occasion though.

I'm not sure INTJ has anything to do with whether you have an addictive personality or not. I know that I don't have one--- I can't seem to get addicted to anything really.

Are you a smoker trying to quit?
You're very lucky. I must have an addictive personality; from that, I question, what exactly causes one to form an addictive personality? I'm sure there are many variables and psychologists still have yet to really pinpoint an all inclusive answer. But definitely, I think at this point, I can pretty much confirm I have an addictive personality.

Yes, I am a smoker trying to quit. Have been trying to for years now and failing over and over again :crying:

·
Banned
183 Posts
Smokers create a need for something they didn't enjoy in the first place, spend lots of money on it and then die young as a result.
Smoking is highly illogical, most certainly for INTJ's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
People need addictions in order to be happy. If I had no addictions, I would have no desire to do anything, because there would be nothing waiting for me at home.

People, who say that smoking is bad because it's unhealthy, aren't ( in most cases ) living any healthier themselves. People think smoking is unbeneficial in all cases, but they are just focusing on the negative effects. If you think smoking is the only thing that saves you from depression or something else, keep doing it.

I don't smoke.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
A lot of people choose New Year's Resolution as a way to stop smoking but judging from a thread earlier that isn't an INTJ way of doing it. When I decided to stop drinking I didn't think: "It's only four weeks to New Years Eve - let me wait until then". No, I decided to stop and I stopped.

That makes sense to me.

I found it interesting how women in the Middle East would demonstrate equality by lowering themselves to the level of men and smoke.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not criticizing anyone in this thread, but I can't picture an INTJ smoking.
As xMA pointed out, it's so...illogical.

The other two INTJ's I know IRL wouldn't touch a cigarette with a 10-foot pole, either.

It seems that with Ni as our primary function, we'd be too preoccupied with the future impact of smoking, both financially and on our health.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I smoke cigarettes. I have quit several times, but I keep going back to it. Currently I am researching the electronic cigarettes to see if they might be something I would consider. I don't like the smell, the cost, or the health risks that go with smoking. For me it isn't the nicotine addiction that I have trouble with, it is the hand-to-mouth part that is hard. I've tried keeping my hands busy but it doesn't always work. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I don't consider myself a smoker - it takes me two months to get through a small pack of Belmonts.
I really only smoke socially. That is I smoke when I need to talk to someone who smokes in private, when I've really had too much to drink, or when waiting outside and I don't want to look weird.

Seriously, you see a guy waiting outside, you get suspicious. If he's smoking you just ignore the poor guy who needs a fix. Lately, it's been winning brownie points with one of my professors but as per addiction, not really.

I keep in mind what happens if this indulgence is entertained too often but the less I think about smoking, the less I need to. Finding something to keep you mind off of it helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts