Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Okay, so I was confused due to some UNRELIABLE source. Ahem. Anywho, still trying to figure out my wing, but I'm definately an 8, level 6... which is the first step to average. I'm almost unhealthy. So that explains all that 5 crap.

Okay, so I just retook the Enneagram Test and I ended up with a type 8w5. The two were very close. I used to be a 5, but apparently an ill 8 can act like a 5 and I'm just now seeing a good psychologist. Anywho, if there are any INTJs out there type 8 wing 5, I would very much like to hear from you. I couldn't find one, or a thread on them, so I'm creating a tiny gathering point for our species before we're wiped out! Ah!

I don't want comments from INTJs saying 'Oh, I'm a type 5, does that help?'. No! I've met my share of them, thank you. Sorry.

I don't want comments from some ENTP saying 'Oh, I'm a type 8w4!'.

I just want what I asked for, because that is specifically what I am looking for. Understood? Here I wish to meet people like me, and have people like me meet people like them. Maybe makes some friends. I dunno, just don't ruin my thread for no reason. I really want to know if my type is uncommon! And... I'm anxious. Nervous, anxious - not excited, anxious. I mean, what if I'M THE ONLY ONE?!?!

GASP.

So prove me wrong. ;)

(My other thread is [INTJ] An INTJ Has A Reason For Everything - Psychological Issues)

·
Registered
838 Posts
How about a comment from an ENTP that says "What?" I doubt there is anyone like you because the way the current system is set up to behave says that you cannot exist.

You're either a 8w7/8w9 or 5w6/5w4. I'm leaning toward 8w7. You have that cocky 'authoritarian' attitude.

Sigh* An ENTP defending an abstract system because it is being broken. It is a sad day in hell.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
EDIT: Dammit! Someone beat me -_-

You could only really be an 8w7 or an 8w9...or more rarely, an 8 with balanced wings. The same way you could only be a 5w4 or a 5w6...They could both be part of your tri-type, however. Your tri-type would include your dominant enneagram from each triad...heart, head, and gut.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
With the enneagram the goals are different. It focuses on why we are the way we are rather than just throwing us into categories. It has growth paths built into the system. 5's path of integration ro growth is to go to 8. It's path of disintegration or stress is to go to 7. I'm sure you've noticed this. Although MBTI and the Enneagram are completely unrelated, the only place where INTJs theoretically should place is type 5 with ot without a 6 or a 4 wing although sometimes it will seem like we're type 1 because we're such neat freaks. ENTJs usually fit into type 8. Female INTJs will often get mismatched as Enneagram 8 because they often feel the need to be agressive but at the end of the day, they are still type 5.

Also, where type 8 goes in it's path of duress is to go to type 5 and it grows to type 2. ENTJs and INTJs have a really neat understanding between the two and if you didn't know better you would say it's the same thing between 5s and 8s. 8s go to 5s for advice all the time when they don't know what to do. Unhealthy 8s have a tendency to develop anti-social disorder and so on. They're pretty gel that way.

However, don't make the mistake that they actually do overlap or have any relation to each other. The Enneagram is heavily philosophical while MBTI is more psychologial. The point of the Enneagram is to grow. With the paths of integration and disintigration, it aims to prove at all these personalities are just superficial. It wants to say that we can grow to becaome ALL the personality types and therefore if we are all of them, we are actually none of them. Ergo, we are all the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, you sound like an ENTJ.
Hah, yeah, whatever. I'm only this way on paper, as I call it. And I know it might not be possible, and I saw the whole "under stress thing", so maybe that's why I was a 5? At first I could've said for sure I was 5w6 or at least 5w4.

Maybe I should go and look up the other enneagrams...

Or maybe I defy the laws of physics and all that crap. Not to say that's crap, I mean I want to be a psychophysicist.

Yeah I'm going to go and look it up now...

·
Banned
156 Posts
you cant be an 8w5. the way the system works is it is a spectrum in 2 ways. also type doesnt change, but as you evolve as a person you are bound to develop new coping mechanism, some associated with different types. i think its likely you are several types but likely not an 8, especially if you think it is a new development. if you think your functioning at a lower level (espcially if your a 6w5) yyou may experience alot of aggressive impulses and act on the but that alone does not qualify you as an 8. 8 is a type obsessed with thier own survival, and the ego expansion is a result of a deep insecuirty involving that survival. while their tendancy to openly display their anger is one of their most noticable characteristics, it is not limited to that type as everybody does this from time to time especially during stress (just as 8s are not always litterally fighting, nobody is "their type all of time"). the test is also not designed to determin your wing. the test determines your dominant type with which your wing interacts in very specific ways. the 9 wing in an 8w9 emphasizes emotional detachment, callousness and suppression in unbalanced states. however, an 8w9 especially unbalanced is highly unlinkely to score high in 9 because individually the two types have many defense mechanisms that go in completely opposite directions. even 8 and 7 while more obviously similar have many defense mechanisms that go in the opposite direction. if your set on determining your type i recomend rereading the material.

INTJ 7w8 or 8w9

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/4791-enneagram-triads.html <---this is the post that helped me figure out my type for sure - it's a source I go to if anyone I know is stuck between 2 enneagram types.

I have an INTJ friend who has not taken the enneagram test, but I'm 80% sure he's a type 8 just from the description. It's mostly in the context of gaming, as he's just an online friend that I game with, so I could be wrong....
>.> He is extremely perfectionist. If he is not doing the best, then his entire team must be doing poorly, even if that is not the case. He will preemptively attack people before they can make any comments on days he may not be playing as well. If anyone else is doing well, it is because they have sabotaged him. If he is doing well, then he is the most magnanimous person ever, full of good will, good cheer, and apparently good gin. However, with friends he is less hostile unless provoked, although provocation can be entirely unintentional. He enjoys taking the side of devil's advocate to the point where it seems like he disagrees no matter what the conversation is about, and if he concedes, it's a terse "fair point" or something to that effect. When he does take a stance, regardless of whether he believes it, he takes it very personally and will sometimes escalate to a yelling match. Generally, in game, if a friend is doing better than he is, they will get a somewhat dejected "good job."

From the description of a type 8, he's a bit of an unhealthy one, if that is his type.

Need
You need to be your own authority, and seek independence to be master and commander of your own life. You have the need to feel confident, self-reliant and in charge of your emotions. You don’t need to be liked, but you do have a strong need to be respected. You also need a sense of fairness and justice in your dealings with others, or you are likely to assert your willful and stubborn nature.
I think that highlighted part is what can make a type 8 INTJ read like an ENTJ. ENTJs can be a bit bull-headed and kind of need someone to stand up to them in order to gain their respect. The type 8 doesn't necessarily need to be stood up to, but they do need to have boundaries put in place to keep them from steamrolling over people.

Avoid
You avoid being weak, vulnerable, controlled or manipulated. Secretly, you fear being caught off guard, harmed and/or humiliated. Being mistreated and at the mercy of injustice are among your deepest fears. You resist and defy anything that is imposed upon you. Fearing deprivation, you avoid ever having to go without what you deem essential to your survival. You do everything in your power to avoid being dependent on anyone or anything. You have a distaste for mediocrity and anything that feels contrived.
This is what I most often see in that INTJ. Personally I don't think any random jerk on the internet should have the power to drive him into a defensive posture... He hasn't quite discovered that the defense mechanisms of high school aren't necessary in the real world. He doesn't have to associate with people who mock him...and he certainly doesn't have to start typing things about their sexuality because they don't think he is as good of a player as he usually is. -.-

Virtue
Your greatest strength is your sense of justice and desire to protect the weak, vulnerable, down-trodden and under-represented. Big hearted and generous by nature, you willingly protect others even at your own expense. A person of your word, you stand up for what you believe in and deliver what have you promised. You have the ability to quickly assess a situation, cut to the chase and ‘call a spade a spade’, simplifying what initially appears to be complex and confusing. This ability to instinctively see the truth in any given situation and act decisively makes you a natural born leader.
From what I know of his real life situation, he's great with kids. He's very creative and gets so excited about teaching little ones about astrology. They made little miniature telescopes for the kids this week and he was just so pleased telling me about it, especially when he said they were cheap so the kids got to keep them. While it's not readily apparent in a gaming setting, I think he does have an big, generous heart.

Vice
Your vice is excess and going to extremes. Whatever you like, you want more of and whatever you do, you overdo at full speed. Quick to respond, you can over react and come on too strong. You can be too much, too intense, and unwilling to self-limit. This can lead to escalating conflict due to an over reliance on your own truth and self-defined justice. Under stress you can become myopic, believing your truth as ‘The Truth’. Seeing life as a battlefield or a contest of wills, you can become confrontational and have difficulty backing down or admitting defeat. You have a tendency to push things to the edge and sometimes may run over others in the process.
Yea.... I see this considerably with him. He does tend to drink to the extreme.... It's become a joke to him that he won't do well until he's had more gin. And the second part relates back to his playing devil's advocate. Once he takes a stance, it's the TRUTH and he won't accept defeat. It will just escalate and escalate until the other person is forced to back down simply because the argument has passed the point of being a meaningful discourse and is simply a shouting match and a demanding will trying to crush the other person's side.

If you are the Enneagram Type 8 with the 7 Wing, you desire to appear commanding. You see yourself as outspoken, innovative, intense, daring, striking, attractive and tenderhearted.

If you are the Enneagram Type 8 with the 9 Wing, you desire to appear solid. You see yourself as earthy, simple, honest, practical, authoritative, solid, wise and considerate.
http://personalitycafe.com/type-8-forum-challenger/10123-enneagram-type-8-leader.html <---if you want to read more on type 8

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Zombie threads sometimes end up with some of the best debates, even if the OP doesn't come back to them. XD
They NEVER turn into debates. I disagree with your point of view and challenge you to defend it.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
I acknowledge why you would make such a claim, yet offer a contrary statement supporting my initial point of view.
But despite my statement offering unintended support for your initial point of view, your initial point of view is without merit. I have yet to see a zombie thread turn into a debate sandbox. It just doesn't happen. Your conclusion is supported neither by hearsay nor evidence and is, therefore, without merit.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I like creative wings systems too.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
But despite my statement offering unintended support for your initial point of view, your initial point of view is without merit. I have yet to see a zombie thread turn into a debate sandbox. It just doesn't happen. Your conclusion is supported neither by hearsay nor evidence and is, therefore, without merit.
I will concede that more often than not, the debates that spring from zombie threads are loosely, if at all, related to the initial topic. However, that is often the case even in live threads....especially when ENFPs are involved.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts