Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any dependable sure fire way to tell if you are INTJ v. ISTJ

I was certain I was an INTJ, but some recent occurrences have been causing me to rethink and a personality test even pointed me towards ISTJ/IXTJ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I don't think so.
But I was just reading through the ISTJ profile and it actually really annoys me....

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Which laws do you break? (if not a secret)

I don't think that there is a sure way to tell if you're an N or an S. I know that I am an N because I tend to think about tomorrow a lot. In fact thoughts about tomorrow and next week and next month and several years ahead are the primary drive for things I do at the moment, in the here and now. S-types get fueled by goals which are shorter-term in comparison to mine I have noted. In comparison to other people I tend to see more of the long-term consequences for my actions. This makes me less decisive and more doubtful than an ISFJ, but other times I am amazed at what stupid things people can do. INTJs on average are very prone to this type of thinking that other people are stupid. The INTJs I know have no trouble following rules and policies and laws as long as they make sense - if they don't make sense to the INTJ he or she can confide to somebody how stupid and short-sighted some rule X is. INTJs tend to be the nerdy type in school as well as late bloomers. I think ISTJs have an easier time fitting into society and feeling more adjusted to the world around them. One of the INTJs I know when he watches TV drunk he sometimes gets into philosophical discussions that always culminate with him wondering how strange the world is. ISTJ is probably less likely to feel this way because as a sensor he or she would be thinking in tune so to say with the majority of people.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Is there any dependable sure fire way to tell if you are INTJ v. ISTJ

I was certain I was an INTJ, but some recent occurrences have been causing me to rethink and a personality test even pointed me towards ISTJ/IXTJ.
Pretty simple. If you take facts for absolute truths, you´re an ISTJ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha... well I know a few ISTJs and they are coincidentally all involved with law enforcement. Hm.
I tend to drive like a crazy person (because I'm usually thinking about something else) and break, you know, the usual laws for a girl my age living in SoCal.

yea highschool I was the oddball, and in my family I'm definitely the black sheep. I'm thinking the tests were full of crap. Also I do consider the future a lot, although I become more absorbed with "now" abstract thoughts v. "later" abstract plans.

Maybe I occasionally display S tendencies but for the most part I'm very much INTJ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe I occasionally display S tendencies but for the most part I'm very much INTJ.
I read your profile and you mentioned being a "student / librarian".

I work with academic librarians and the ones I've beaten/tricked/threatened/coaxed into taking a quickie online inventory show them to be almost uniformly ISTJ. It's a bit disconcerting how uniform the results were.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Eh just thought I'd add my two bits. It has been my experiance that after repeatdly taking many tests and in my own studies...I flip...I'm more of INTJ but I have been known to get ISTJ often on tests

Reactions: aprilkutie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read your profile and you mentioned being a "student / librarian".

I work with academic librarians and the ones I've beaten/tricked/threatened/coaxed into taking a quickie online inventory show them to be almost uniformly ISTJ. It's a bit disconcerting how uniform the results were.
well I'm a student worker in a library hah, DEFINITELY not a career. Yes, more or less you find A LOT of weirdos and S's in the library. I'm 90% sure my boss is an esfj.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I wouldn't go by the type descriptions- I am a sure ISTJ but definitely do not relate to the description. You would have to research Ni and Si and see which one you believe is your dominant function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering about this too, regarding myself. When doing the test to see what type I was, the ITJ was pretty obvious, but the questions regarding sensing and intuition were hard - it's like I was a bit of both. At the end it turned out I was an INTJ with intuition being between 10% and 20%, don't remember exactly. When I did the test again I gave a different answer to the questions at which I doubted and it said I was an ISTJ.

Overall, the description of the INTJ was more similar to me than the ISTJ. The independence of mind, being a good planner, having a unique world view and I didn't care much for rules and regulations either. I don't break the law often, I follow rules when they make sense, but in the end they strike me as a something humans created themselves and are totally subjective. I also have almost no memory of detail. The things that they were trying to stomp into my brain at school are almost all forgotten, only the big pictures and the systems remain.

The only thing that didn't really add up was the supposed extreme confidence that INTJ's seem to radiate. I had feelings of inferiority for most of my life (thanks to the damn people in my surroundings telling me I should open up more and stuff >.<). That's over now though. Although when something bad happens I still have a tendency to close myself off from the world and mentally beat myself up. Nor am I very scientist-like or creative. My thoughts are mostly very lineair and I rarely think of a different way or perspective to tackle a problem. the opposite is true, everything is pretty routinised.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering about this too, regarding myself. When doing the test to see what type I was, the ITJ was pretty obvious, but the questions regarding sensing and intuition were hard - it's like I was a bit of both. At the end it turned out I was an INTJ with intuition being between 10% and 20%, don't remember exactly. When I did the test again I gave a different answer to the questions at which I doubted and it said I was an ISTJ.

Overall, the description of the INTJ was more similar to me than the ISTJ. The independence of mind, being a good planner, having a unique world view and I didn't care much for rules and regulations either. I don't break the law often, I follow rules when they make sense, but in the end they strike me as a something humans created themselves and are totally subjective. I also have almost no memory of detail. The things that they were trying to stomp into my brain at school are almost all forgotten, only the big pictures and the systems remain.

The only thing that didn't really add up was the supposed extreme confidence that INTJ's seem to radiate. I had feelings of inferiority for most of my life (thanks to the damn people in my surroundings telling me I should open up more and stuff >.<). That's over now though. Although when something bad happens I still have a tendency to close myself off from the world and mentally beat myself up. Nor am I very scientist-like or creative. My thoughts are mostly very lineair and I rarely think of a different way or perspective to tackle a problem. the opposite is true, everything is pretty routinised.
I can relate to you on the confidence issue. I never thought I exuded confidence at all, but several people have told me I exude confidence to the point of coming off extremely arrogant.
After some grueling self-examination (arrogance is acharacteristicI would never tolerate) I realized this is how and f personality ( I know quite a few extreme f's) perceives a seemingly unempathetic and coldly calculating INTJ ( particularly a female one).
Where people see the confidence (and perhaps arrogance) comes from our systems of knowledge. I pull the "did you know..." "hey that..." a lot, and remove emotion from the issue. If I'm challenged on the fact I'll just say, well I COULD be wrong, but look it up to verify. I suppose people see this as arrogant, or maybe they feel intimidated.
Although you could be very different, idk.

oh and on the routinised tack, I do the same thing and have very set ways of doing things, but this is because that routine works and is efficient and tailored. Perhaps could you be simply happy with the way your routine is set? I know if mine gets disrupted or a new element or task injected it upsets me for a few days until it's streamlined again. And if I discover an efficiency problem it bugs me till i have a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can relate to you on the confidence issue. I never thought I exuded confidence at all, but several people have told me I exude confidence to the point of coming off extremely arrogant.
After some grueling self-examination (arrogance is acharacteristicI would never tolerate) I realized this is how and f personality ( I know quite a few extreme f's) perceives a seemingly unempathetic and coldly calculating INTJ ( particularly a female one).
Where people see the confidence (and perhaps arrogance) comes from our systems of knowledge. I pull the "did you know..." "hey that..." a lot, and remove emotion from the issue. If I'm challenged on the fact I'll just say, well I COULD be wrong, but look it up to verify. I suppose people see this as arrogant, or maybe they feel intimidated.
Although you could be very different, idk.
This story seems familiar to me. My new classmates say I am rather reserved, but also cold and confident. I never understood that. I always thought it was normal to keep your emotions seperated from the points you make. Emotions have no place in a logical debate. I think the problem is indeed the way people perceive me (tone of voice etc), rather than what I am actually saying.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
How you feel and how you appear are 2 different things, (as they should be.) INTJ's talk as if things are already clear and decided. That's because in the INTJ mind they are. When things are not clear and decided, INTJ's don't talk, they´re busy figuring it out.

So other people really get to see only that decisive side of INTJ's.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am still not terribly familiar with all the types, so the following might come simply from my own experience or the unique personality traits of the INTJS and ISTJs I know and this is written obviously from a very INPF point of view..but here it goes, my anecdotal experience:

When remembering a birthdays/ anniversaries/ special occasions:
INTJ: Might not place a lot of importance in showing affection in ways that are socially prescribed, and thus, totally forget your birthday or not be too fussed. The INTJ doesn't want to be told when and how they have to show they care, they prefer to do it in their own terms and when they feel like it, not because the calendar says.
ISTJ: Will remember your birthday and will buy you a present he/she knows you like, because you have told them, and will have agreed on the budget beforehand. They wont go to any lengths to surprise you, for example, this is a chore. (not in a bad way, but ISTJ are good at chores, they get on with them).

Flexibility.
Both types are pretty inflexible and set in their ways. The INTJ will sometimes impose their will or opinion simply to reinforce the notion that they are individuals and no one tells them what to do or what to think. The ISTJ feels the same way, but is more likely to be flexible if that means making others happy or fitting in others peoples expectations.

Working with other people
Both believe they are clearly superior and more intelligent than most people (and they tend to be). Both are extremely logical. The INTJ can actually be a very good teacher or boss once they establish clearly they are on top. They really like helping other people, explaining things, showing off their knowledge and skill and do it with no arrogance, just utter pleasure. The ISTJ can not stand being surrounded by people less competent than them (most people) and would rather work alone than with colleagues they believe are less capable than them. The ISTJs hate the pressure of leadership and decision making and much prefer to be told what to do. Both can be pretty patronising.

Dealing with stress
The INTJs I know seem to get stressed less easily than ISTJs. When an ISTJ is under pressure they go through what I call the "doom and gloom phase" ie, they just go on about how things can't be done, how it's all negative, theres no solutions and it's best to give up. Then they go back to the task and sort things out pretty easily as they are such capable and pragmatic people. The INTJs seem to have a lot more confidence in themselves.

Creativity
The INTJs seem to be constantly thinking of how things can be improved. The ISTJs prefer to keep the status quo and are more afraid of change. They are also not very creative and prefer to do things in traditional ways.

Imagination
From an INPF point of view, the INTJ find it easier to enter into the world of images, metaphore and imagination of the INPFs whereas ISTJ just look at it as a foreign film and switch off out of boredom.

all a bit random I know..if I think of more I will come back

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
How do you not know what type you are?! Especially two of that difference!

Joke: You know your an INTJ, when you know your an INTJ.

Though that joke is mostly real, it also works the other way around. If your not sure what you are... you not an INTJ

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Most people are sensors...what's more, ISTJ is THE most common personality type, (at least for men). So statistically, you're probably a sensor.

However, you are on an MBTI-themed forum pondering psychological types. And you're agonizing (mildly) about an aspect of your functions. Not very sensey!

Careful with the cognitive tests though, if you go that route... they can get the N/S mixed up. It labeled me an ESTP. I'm afraid you'll have to read the Ni and Si descriptions and see what fits you more. They're quite different, so it should be easy to distinguish in your case. And if you're INTJ (Ni-dominated), Si will be your very last, weakest 8th function. And vice versa.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Working with other people
Both believe they are clearly superior and more intelligent than most people (and they tend to be). Both are extremely logical. The INTJ can actually be a very good teacher or boss once they establish clearly they are on top. They really like helping other people, explaining things, showing off their knowledge and skill and do it with no arrogance, just utter pleasure. The ISTJ can not stand being surrounded by people less competent than them (most people) and would rather work alone than with colleagues they believe are less capable than them. The ISTJs hate the pressure of leadership and decision making and much prefer to be told what to do. Both can be pretty patronizing.
I believe you have this backwards.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts