Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have noticed a common phenomena in comparing INTJs to INFJs. The battle of rational thinking versus emotional feeling is indeed an ancient one, something any introductory class into philosophy will teach you. But as a questioning INFJ, I have my own personal reason for coming here to the INTJ forum and posting.

Basically after perusing the various personality types, I am starting to believe I am not a steadfast INFJ. Given, most people are not 100% one type or another, but I just find it interesting how I am almost 50/50 F versus J. I have always attempted to balance logic and emotion in my life. The only reason I commonly sway moreover to the F side is my natural tendency to deeply consider the feelings of people, but I do value logic in my life and I know sometimes you simply have to ignore certain feelings for a more effective outcome.

So after my fairly long introduction, what do you INTJs think about that? Do you think it is strange (for lack of a better word) that I believe myself to be almost in the middle of the two personality types? Do you think it is reasonable? Any comment would suffice.

Though I think when I start to become more T, I also gravitate towards being more P rather than J. My Ni function is the only one I believe I absolutely steadfast in. S is not beyond me, but it is certainly not dominant.

And, yes. I am rather new to the various personality types, so excuse my ignorance when comes to evaluating functions like Ti and Fe. I am still attempting to digest them and integrate them in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Being INFJ does not nessecarilly mean you are overly emotional, and it does not mean you can't be logical. There's a lot of people who tend to use their tertiary function more than their auxilliary function. I identify far more with Ti than with Fe, but that certainly does not make me a Te-user.

To me you just sound like a reasonably developed INFJ. I've never heard an INTJ talk about a natural tendency to deeply consider the feelings of people. INTJs certainly aren't heartless, and the more mature ones understand how considering others is both the right thing to do and also tends to make things go more smoothly, but none of my INTJ friends have a tendency to consider feelings. Let alone deeply.

On behalf of the INFJ community I'd like to apologize to InvisibleJim for trespassing. We are truly sorry and will keep our dirty topics out of here. :wink:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
So after my fairly long introduction, what do you INTJs think about that? Do you think it is strange (for lack of a better word) that I believe myself to be almost in the middle of the two personality types? Do you think it is reasonable? Any comment would suffice.
Yeah sure, why not? If you feel that describes you best, who am I to argue?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You seem like an INFJ to me. Considering other people, yet valuing logic is Fe/Ti. INTJs use Te/Fi.
The reason you become more P is because using Ti temporarily cancels out your Fe judging function. Ti is also a judging function, but because it isn't extroverted it doesn't create J behaviour. Sometimes an INFJ can seem like an INTP for this reason, with Ni-Ti masquerading as Ti-Ne. INTPs never seem to come across as INFJs though. Our Fe is too crappy :dry:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being INFJ does not nessecarilly mean you are overly emotional, and it does not mean you can't be logical. There's a lot of people who tend to use their tertiary function more than their auxilliary function. I identify far more with Ti than with Fe, but that certainly does not make me a Te-user.

To me you just sound like a reasonably developed INFJ. I've never heard an INTJ talk about a natural tendency to deeply consider the feelings of people. INTJs certainly aren't heartless, and the more mature ones understand how considering others is both the right thing to do and also tends to make things go more smoothly, but none of my INTJ friends have a tendency to consider feelings. Let alone deeply.

On behalf of the INFJ community I'd like to apologize to InvisibleJim for trespassing. We are truly sorry and will keep our dirty topics out of here. :wink:
Oh, hell. I might have overplayed the 'deeply' part. I am pretty sure I was striving for honesty here, but I am a writer by hobby and I can on occasion make things sound 'loftier' than they really are.

Have INFJs ever considered putting these threads into their own damned section?

You're cognitive functions put you on the same thinking boat as NTPs (Ti->Fe). Ours put us with NFPs (Fi->Te). This isn't that difficult.
To make the situation clear, I have in fact been posting and reading things on my own thread. I have even explored the INTP threads and the INFP threads. But for this thread, I felt going to the INTJ. Why? No particular reason. Moreover, I wanted to spend some time around INTJ.

Probably next time, I will put this in the INFJ section.

Also, if you haven't noticed, I am new.

Yeah sure, why not? If you feel that describes you best, who am I to argue?
Well, I am not really looking for validation rather than opinions on the F versus T function. I have noticed (as already mentioned) that this appears to be a common topic, but I think all functions paired with their competing functions is a common topic.
I just wanted to make this personal for myself, more relevant for myself. I am new to this, and my understanding of everything is still growing.

You seem like an INFJ to me. Considering other people, yet valuing logic is Fe/Ti. INTJs use Te/Fi.
The reason you become more P is because using Ti temporarily cancels out your Fe judging function. Ti is also a judging function, but because it isn't extroverted it doesn't create J behaviour. Sometimes an INFJ can seem like an INTP for this reason, with Ni-Ti masquerading as Ti-Ne. INTPs never seem to come across as INFJs though. Our Fe is too crappy :dry:
This helps clear some things up for me. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, I am not really looking for validation rather than opinions on the F versus T function. I have noticed (as already mentioned) that this appears to be a common topic, but I think all functions paired with their competing functions is a common topic.
I just wanted to make this personal for myself, more relevant for myself. I am new to this, and my understanding of everything is still growing.
MBTI is not really scientific. If you follow the theory, however, you should "pick" the type that matches your questions. If multiple match, you have to pick.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
To make the situation clear, I have in fact been posting and reading things on my own thread. I have even explored the INTP threads and the INFP threads. But for this thread, I felt going to the INTJ. Why? No particular reason. Moreover, I wanted to spend some time around INTJ.
INTJs don't want to spend time with you... or anybody for that matter :p

Once in a while, an Ne dominant may force us to interact but for the most part, go away.

lol jk.

People like to compare the two because INFJs are really the only ones who come close with Ni usage. Personally, although I couldn't imagine myself functioning as a different type, Ni is seriously overvalued.

Also, given the nature of your first post... there is a good chance you are an INFJ. You're overthinking it... rather slowly as it would suggest if Ti is your perception function. You're also seeking quite a few second opinions... as would suggest if you are an Fe decision maker.

Fi and Te together are pretty decisive. So are Ti and Fe with a strongly developed Ni. You could also be an ISFJ... but INTJ? Most INTJs, when they realize this, it's pretty obvious. Actually, a lot of INTPs and ENTJs like to think they're INTJs too but really, we're not the only smart people around so it's okay to be another type.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have INFJs ever considered putting these threads into their own damned section?

You're cognitive functions put you on the same thinking boat as NTPs (Ti->Fe). Ours put us with NFPs (Fi->Te). This isn't that difficult.
You da man, Jim!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts