Personality Cafe banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Haven't really done much tbh. I am an "essential worker" I guess so I have to keep going to work. I work in healthcare but we're seeing patients remotely and mostly doing a lot of paperwork so we COULD technically work from home but there's not enough equipment and secure bandwidth stuff to do it. :/ We keep social distancing and wipe things down constantly. That's about all we can do I guess.

I have cut my shopping to once a week. I wipe with a medical-grade disinfectant wipe on cart surfaces and the bag holder clip and then hand sanitize and wipe down my steering wheel and keys when I'm done shopping. Wash my hands when I get home. Don't touch my phone while I'm shopping, keep it in my pocket. Wash my hands multiple times a day - I do this anyway. Have upped use of hand sanitizer too. I live with two people, one of which is also a healthcare worker seeing patients face to face daily and one who is signing up to go back into the workforce as a nurse from retirement...so that sucks and worries me. I can't move out at this point since all moving is locked down. So around the house I just wash my hands as much as possible and try to stay some distance away from the couple I live with in general - eat/prep dinner at different times and so on.

I have about 1.5 weeks worth of food at any given time ..fresh stuff. Maybe another week of paltry dry/tinned and frozen stuff that could get me by. We have had fairly consistent access to enough food at the store, TP has come back fairly regularly so not too worried there.

I mostly stay home anyway so that part is fine/no problem. Only thing that sucks is not being able to go see my partner whenever we want after I moved all the way over here to be closer to him.

I would like a mask but I'm still reading conflicting info and not sure whether it really is worth the whole claustrophobic-feel-like-you-can't-breathe-moist-air-back-in-your-nose feeling that they give me. Also I can't sew and that bandana thing going around with the hair ties would definitely hurt my ears. Sooo dunno with that.

Reactions: contradictionary

·
Registered
28,905 Posts
I might have to take 2 weeks off from work
I’m a prime candidate
My chances of surviving covid are slim
Emphysema + CPOD+age-death
I live in n.y. and with 113,833k infected I can’t take any chances
Don't worry there are only like 15 people up there.

When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
This lockdown is going to cost me a lot. Works in shambles, I am running out of creativity steam in keeping the gears rolling for everyone. This whole virtual meeting sucks big time, zoom, meet, teams, do helps but they have limits.

Homedweller relation coming to strain due to, hey, we are not really designed to share living space 24/7 full time for days, let alone months, are we? Not to mention they get more and more immersed on their own virtual world in their mobiles. I have my own 'safe space' but still, all of this is depressing to witness.

Other costs comes from my itchiness to fix and mod things which never in my priority lists before. I've spent cash to fix and mod/upgrade my old pc, home server, ups and all the accesories. Even bought me a new (but used) pc, build it to be a proper gaming machine and also bought me a proper gaming chair and do play games, things I've tried to avoid for almost a decade already. Not to say I don't enjoy playing games but it really suck me out of my productive hours. And for god's sake who in the right mind really needs 2 pc, 4 laptops, a homeserver all functioning at the very same time? Later I would need to sell some of these, lmao.

I know, I should still be grateful in comparison to some others....but...

Now i'm itching to rebuild my home theater since last year the onkyo receiver failed me. I had sworn to forfeit the idea but... for crying out loud, mind, please stop wandering!!

Next I also have other interests which could cost a lot, like photography, downhill biking, etc. I've sold most my gears in the past leaving bare minimum... but... but....

But that Marantz looks sexy though, hmm, dolby atmos, triple zone, HLG, 10 bit 4:4:4, 9 channels you said? Yummy...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I am avoiding and cautious around people who are or appear to be high-risk (for example, I have not seen my mom since I moved, and don't plan to anytime soon because of this), but most of us are going to catch it, I still think I might have in February, and the depression was getting real. Georgia is "re-opening" a bit, and I'm taking advantage of it. Not doing a ton, but been out horseback riding, motorcycling, and seeing other humans IRL, not just virtually.

I don't need a ton of human contact, I don't need to physically contact people, but just talking to someone face to face and shooting the shit (while doing things I enjoy) has been a HUGE mood lifter for me - like night and day difference in my outlook.

While I'm not highly prone to depression, I'm not entirely immune from it either, and the self-isolation and only seeing other humans via the internet was taking a really steep toll on me - eventually I realized it was affecting me even more than I realized (I was chalking a lot of it up to work stress and moving), but a day here and there of doing the above activities and I feel pretty damn good again - and the work stress or being in a new area has not changed, work especially is a huge weight on my mind, but I just "feel" better about life in general again...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My daughter's mother suffers from Pulmonary Sarcoidosis which is Sarcoidosis that occurs in the lungs (pulmonary = lungs).
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/pulmonary-sarcoidosis
Its a rare disease that she was diagnosed with several years ago. Its origin is unknown and there is no known cure. Dr's at first thought she might have lung cancer but she's never smoked anything in her life and after a bunch of tests cancer was eliminated. After more testing, Eventually Sarcoidosis was deemed the culprit. It settles deep in the lungs & like Covid inhibits breathing, exhibits a dry cough, fatigue, sometimes fever, etc...........

<<<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

My daughter, her mother & I have all conversed a lot about the impact on her health that Covid would have and we've concluded that there is an extremely strong possibility that it would be fatal to her. So she is considered Ultra Ultra High Risk in that sense. She has been in complete lockdown self quarantine mode since all this covid stuff hit some 2 months ago as her life prolly most likely literally depends upon it.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I've been naughty the last 2 weeks. You see, I always accustomed to remote work anyway so wfh do not really torture me, like at all. What torture me is that i have to spend 24/7 day in day out with the very same people, however much I love them, this covid making me realize that i am not really designed to have such intense closeness.

Shit. Was heavily suffocated. At one point I was even somehow wishing I am single that is... one deranged thought.

So these 2 weeks I've been naughtily going out. Finding naughty cafe and restaurant owners who still dare to open their businesses discreetly and stay there to work during whatever was working hours. With strangers!

Sneaky us. But hey, always safety first, using masks whenever possible, high hygiene routines and only staying in what looks like quiet place with servers who pay attention to health safety and having minimal patrons. I also change places, somehow trying to stay incognito.

Stay safe all!!!

(do i still reserve the right to say so?)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
My state is likewise starting to open up somewhat, as well... but I'm giving it another week to see if (more like when) the spike comes. I've got a hair appt. coming up next Tues. Don't think I'll be asked to report back to work (WFH right now) until the 26th at the rate they're going. Don't really care one way or the other; I have my own office and my super (S8 for those still keeping track) discussed it and we're most likely going to get a baby gate for my door.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,956 Posts
And for god's sake who in the right mind really needs 2 pc, 4 laptops, a homeserver all functioning at the very same time?
I do. Just got my new toy, FirePro V3750. Bought it just to investigate my previous observations of 3D quality being superior compared to lowly GeForce. And conclusion is that it certainly wasn't a placebo. As far as 3D quality goes, depth is much better reproduced on FirePro. Things like anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering are with less negative effects (if enabled from driver options). GeForce card can ruin text if anisotropic filtering is enabled via driver and even 32X anti-aliasing still looks like garbage compared to FirePro's 8X. There many other extras, but conclusion is that for superior 3D quality getting FirePro over consumer card can make a massive difference. However, one should note that it's mostly about drivers, so with mods even consumer card could do the same. AMD was kid enough to roll out Enterprise drivers for RX 500 series and I tested them. Turns out stuff is very similar to old FirePro drivers. 3D quality is better, but FirePro specific settings like 10 bit color output, quad buffered stereoscopic output and etc aren't there. Too bad that nVidia only lets people use those GeForce drivers that do as much as they can to make framerate high, however quality of output is really meh.

So why do I need all those computers other than playing around? Actually not for anything much, but lately I have been using all 3 desktops for BOINC projects. To be specific for:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Word Community Grid (SCC and Open Pandemics)
Bunch of other projects just to see how they work

I have set some personal goals that I must reach. So they are:
Be in top 100 at my own country (total points)
Be in top 100000 in World (total points)
Reach top 5000 worldwide RAC
Reach 3 million credits in [email protected]

So far only RAC goal was reached and my best place was in 4500-4600. I'm 108 in my country, 106,463 worldwide and I have 2504244 credits in MW. Still some work to do. Fun fact is that I'm responsible for over 1% of my own country's RAC. Had to retire massively downclocked (740MHz core, 1800 MHz vRAM) and BIOS modded (64W TDP) RX 580 from all this due to making my PC case almost too hard to touch with hand without burning it (card reported 58C tho). No matter what I do to that RX 580, it still is a POS that should have never been made. I also learned that Radeons are compute beasts. RX 560 beats GTX 650 Ti by absolutely massive margin in FP64 workloads and RX 560 is also faster than GTX 680 and GTX 980. Meanwhile RX 580 destroys RTX 2080. RX 590 in theory is faster than RTX 2080 Ti at FP64 compute tasks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been naughty the last 2 weeks. You see, I always accustomed to remote work anyway so wfh do not really torture me, like at all. What torture me is that i have to spend 24/7 day in day out with the very same people, however much I love them, this covid making me realize that i am not really designed to have such intense closeness.

Shit. Was heavily suffocated. At one point I was even somehow wishing I am single that is... one deranged thought.

So these 2 weeks I've been naughtily going out. Finding naughty cafe and restaurant owners who still dare to open their businesses discreetly and stay there to work during whatever was working hours. With strangers!

Sneaky us. But hey, always safety first, using masks whenever possible, high hygiene routines and only staying in what looks like quiet place with servers who pay attention to health safety and having minimal patrons. I also change places, somehow trying to stay incognito.

Stay safe all!!!

(do i still reserve the right to say so?)
Very naughty. Banned.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts