Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are any of you out there, I have a few questions to ask.

*How long did it take you to realize that you're actually INTJ and not INFJ?
*Did you ever have trouble figuring out your type?
*Do people ever mistake your for an F?
*Do you relate to the stereotypical "INTJ's are cold" notion of INTJ's?
*How do you overall feel that your developed Fi affects you, and how do you feel in comparison to the other INTJ's with a larger thinking preference?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Not long.

No.

No.

Yes.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,849 Posts
Same as above....I may have developed Fi but lazy Beth is lazy.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Never thought I was anything else. INTJ ftw.
I don't understand what 'cold' means. I don't see it in anyone. I have no mental referent for this idea.
People have generally only called me a Feeler in an effort to discredit my arguments. The whole 'I will say you're being emotional because you disagree with me and I cannot conceive of the possibility that someone might ever disagree with me rationally because I am the cat's pyjamas so clearly it is emotion and you are emotional and female and an F' bullshit. Otherwise, no.
It has pushed my interest in the humanities and meant that most of my friends - the important ones anyway - are NFs. (plus a few ISTJs)

·
Registered
131 Posts
-> INTJs are very good at self-evaluations (or any kind of evaluation for that matter)
I knew I was a thinker when I was like in around 5th grade.

-> Nope, I knew I was INTJ right away when I read the description.
Though, I can purposefully make myself behave more like (I -> E) & (T -> F) & (J -> P) as necessary.
It costs energy to gear my brain into those modes, but I can do it.
(And no, I can never do (N -> S) for strange reason. It's just too much for me.)

-> Only when I need to act like one, which is rare.

-> Yes, because to be honest, I could kill any person (including friends/family members, those I have good relationship with) and feel not one bit bad about it.
But then again, to do that, I will need to gear my brain into PURE INTJ mode,
which will cost some energy because I'm not naturally PURE INTJ.

In some degree, it will haunt me in my dreams because I lose the ability to get into PURE INTJ mode in my subconscious.
Also, not cost-effective in that I have to gear into it every morning. (Sleeping will bring me back to my natural state.)

*How do you overall feel that your developed Fi affects you, and how do you feel in comparison to the other INTJ's with a larger thinking preference?[/QUOTE]
I usually use my Fe mode to relieve mental stress. Very effective.
Also, when I'm watching a movie, I gear into Fe mode, to absorb all the flavor (aka total experience) in the movie.
(Edit: I didn't answer the question well here.)

In sum:
My hardware is definitely INTJ.
but I have other softwares to run other modes. (but then again, just not (N -> S) yet.)
and it costs energy.
(I gear into other modes a lot now days since I discovered that the rate of energy cost is less as I use it more.)

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, please note that I'm directing this thread at those INTJ's with very developed Fi's, not all INTJ's in general.
By developed Fi, I'm referring to almost coming off as a feeler.
Just making an announcement, in case anyone was unclear.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I was first typed by my mother who is versed in MBTI as a child and later typed by severals professionals as an INTJ. I read the description and thought it pointed out only negative aspects of myself. I read INFJ and thought that it was what I wanted to be. I had a hard time accepting my MBTI type (total INFJ envy). It wasn't until 4 years ago when I was 18 that I came to terms with being an INTJ and accepting myself.

No, it is blatantly obvious what my type is when you break it down into cognitive functions as opposed to the 4 letters.

All the time.

Not at all. I am very warm and welcoming. Or so I like to perceive myself as such.... but I have been told by NFs that I am a very cold person. So in the end, who knows?

*How do you overall feel that your developed Fi affects you, and how do you feel in comparison to the other INTJ's with a larger thinking preference?
I am very T heavy. I am more rational and thought through in my reactions to things. I do not react so much on gut instinct. But I am a lot more open with my Fi perhaps than other INTJs and I think sometimes it scares them lol.
My fi is strong and can be all encompassing, but I think it helps others to open up and it has helped me understand my own set of morals and individual truths. Once you know yourself than you can help others to learn their own...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not sure I'm that strong in the Fi department, although I don't think I'm the weakest of the lot. Living with a real INFJ kinda hammered the point home I'm NOT an INFJ.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Guys, please note that I'm directing this thread at those INTJ's with very developed Fi's, not all INTJ's in general.
I have a developed Fi. I agree with the above posts.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
One won't necessarily come off as a feeler. High Fi can be the kind of thing more obvious to friends who know you well enough to know you're not a feeler but not a huge aspect of how one interacts with strangers who are likely to get your type wrong and think F.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

I knew INTJ was right the first time i read the description.

Nope.

Maybe once.

Dunno. I really have no idea how other people perceive me.

I suppose its where my need for intimacy comes from.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was first typed by my mother who is versed in MBTI as a child and later typed by severals professionals as an INTJ. I read the description and thought it pointed out only negative aspects of myself. I read INFJ and thought that it was what I wanted to be. I had a hard time accepting my MBTI type (total INFJ envy). It wasn't until 4 years ago when I was 18 that I came to terms with being an INTJ and accepting myself.

No, it is blatantly obvious what my type is when you break it down into cognitive functions as opposed to the 4 letters.

All the time.

Not at all. I am very warm and welcoming. Or so I like to perceive myself as such.... but I have been told by NFs that I am a very cold person. So in the end, who knows?

I am very T heavy. I am more rational and thought through in my reactions to things. I do not react so much on gut instinct. But I am a lot more open with my Fi perhaps than other INTJs and I think sometimes it scares them lol.
My fi is strong and can be all encompassing, but I think it helps others to open up and it has helped me understand my own set of morals and individual truths. Once you know yourself than you can help others to learn their own...
Thank you for divulging this information. It was a very useful post I used to make some sense out of a problem I'm currently thinking through.
Cheers!

Keep 'em coming, guys.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My answers...

There were a few weeks as there was some waffling on my end about which I was to answer the first question.

Yes, I've bounced around a few types over time so I'll get mislabeled an ISTJ or INFJ.

No, I doubt anyone would think of me as an INFJ. While I can have my tearful moments and express emotion better now than I did years ago, I do tend to shield myself somewhat.

I do relate to the being cold, that is part of the shielding.

My Fi balances me against my thinking side so that I'm not a robot that is just totally logical all the time. Sometimes I may hide my Fi to try to protect myself which may not be understood to other INTJs in some cases.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I've never even considered INFJ.

Yeah, I had myself as an ISTJ before I knew about functions.

I doubt it.

Well, I'm not particularly warm and welcoming.

I think my Fi is stronger than my Te. :dry:
Fucking loop.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
How long did it take you to realize that you're actually INTJ and not INFJ?

I was always clear on it, even though neither description fits me all that well. I have always been more comfortable dealing with the world with Te. Fe is very uncomfortable for me.

No. Once I tested as an INFJ, but even while I took the test I felt I was answering with what I thought I should say instead of what I really felt. I'm sure about how I use the functions.

I doubt it.

I don't think of myself that way, but sometimes others do, especially if they don't know me very well.

I'm still trying to figure out what Fi is. I care a lot about other people, and I use that with the Te in making decisions. I don't know any other INTJ's in real life well enough to compare myself with them. I don't think you get an accurate picture of people in a forum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The first half dozen times I took the various online tests, I came up with INTJ. So I thought I was INTJ even before I knew anything about personality type....

I had trouble figuring out whether I was an F or a T for a few months. Understanding Fe vs Fi and Te vs Ti helped resolve this however.

One ENTP sounded surprised when I told him I was a T. Though he's a far stronger T than I am.

I absolutely do not relate to it... much. I get cold and distant only when I'm in an uncomfortable situation, like talking to someone I don't really know or trust. But I'm normally warm and friendly enough, especially around Feelers. One even told me I was "sweet" :blushed:. I'm also quite emotional and easily get teary eyed (much to my embarrassment), especially when I'm really angry or indignant.

I'm on the borderline of the F/T spectrum, and the insensitivity of some of the strong Ts I know annoys me to no end. The only other INTJ I've identified also has very strong Fi. So strong that he refuses to believe that he's an INTJ (mostly because he doesn't know what Te is. He uses SO MUCH freaking Te). But comparing myself to the INTJs on this forum, I don't feel like I completely belong within that type. Everyone's a little different however.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vince: very good post. It seems there are some INTJ's with developed Fi who do seem emotional and come off as INFJ's (however superficially). Yet, you guys can be pretty sure that you are indeed INTJ's because you use Te more so than Fe. It's very interesting to know that you guys don't necessarily feel a true inherent affinity with other INTJ's, necessarily, given their stronger thinking preference. But alas, you guys are very odd INTJ's. And not everyone fits so snugly into any type. So it is, and has been, interesting to read how you INTJ's with a more balanced F/T preference tend to view things.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If there are any of you out there, I have a few questions to ask.

There was a time earlier this year where I developed feelings for an INFJ who didn't reciprocate. For a while it seemed like she was the INTJ and I was the INFJ. It took a while for me to realize that it was Fi and not Fe.

No.

Never.

We're not cold, just private. You can't shut Fi down and even with the hardest INTJ, Fi is there. Fi is how we perceive the world just as an INTP would use Ti.

As stated above, Fi is the INTJ perception function. It is the function we use for gathing information. This is also why we can be hard to convince. I don't know why people associate Fi with only emotions but it is probably the element which makes the INTJ Ni that much faster than the INFJ Ni. Ti is great and is a lot more detailed than Fi but Fi wins at speed. INFPs despite being Fi dominant you will find that a lot of them are half decent problem solvers as well as hardcore bookworms.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Did you ever have trouble figuring out your type?

Yes. In fact, I haven't pinned it down yet. It's definitely NT, though, and not NF. I'm not sure about the I/E and J/P, but INTJ is probably the closest type to my personality.

Do people ever mistake your for an F?

No, I don't think so.

Do you relate to the stereotypical "INTJ's are cold" notion of INTJ's?

No, probably not.

How do you overall feel that your developed Fi affects you, and how do you feel in comparison to the other INTJ's with a larger thinking preference?

I have a strong Fi, but my typical functions are much stronger. I assume INTJs with strong Fi are interested in politics, social sciences, law etc. Can anyone here relate to that?

·
Registered
131 Posts

One this question, I did not answer soundly when I first posted the response.
and I do not yet solidly know how cognitive functions are defined.

So I'll consult my friend, Wikipedia, to help me out.

Dominant: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths.
[Yes]

Auxiliary: Extraverted thinking (Te)
Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.
[Yes]

Tertiary: Introverted feeling (Fi)
Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.
[Partially, yes]

Inferior: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.
[No]

Extraverted intuition (Ne)
Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives and allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.
[Yes]

Introverted thinking (Ti)
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.
[Yes]

Extraverted feeling (Fe)
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.
[No]

Introverted sensing (Si)
Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences. This process sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.
[No]

I guess I don't have a developed Fi?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts