Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find yourself so ambitious that you make an unreasonably large amount of plans?
Are INTJs generally ambitious? I haven't been around the INTJ section often.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
When I was younger my eyes were bigger than my stomach or whatever. I had definite plans throughout my twenties, but I couldn't manage them, even with the help of experts, indeed mentors, in my fields.

Now I'm happy to severely restrict my scope, and do what I think is reasonable, in terms of planning, in several different aspects, which I don't think requires detail -- just regular, boring, do this, do this at this time, build this component, etc.

Larger visions, of course, but no more or less than anybody else has, I suppose. Just for fun and sometimes inspiration.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
When I was young, like in my teens and early 20s, I was extremely ambitious and yes, I would make unrealistic plans. However, I think it's a strength and sign of maturity to be able to make reasonable plans and stick to them. While I wouldn't say that I have conceded to a life of mediocrity, I have accomplished a few reasonable goals and continue to have a sense of planning for the future.

I would say that I'm much more future-focused than I am ambitious, though. I think ambition is more of a side effect of setting goals rather than a major character trait of mine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I still have my childhood dream but everything between i can change it ( alot of mini-goals ).

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looking from the outside people would say I am ambitious but I most definitely am not.

It's more like a continual cycle of trying to remove myself from unbearable (to me) work situations while trying to make sure I won't be living on the street when I retire, and to make it all more fun and interesting, my drive cuts in and out like a dial up connection; so one day I'll get a mountain of work done like an efficiency god and the next I'll have trouble rustling up motivation to dress.

·
Registered
761 Posts
When I was young, like in my teens and early 20s, I was extremely ambitious and yes, I would make unrealistic plans. However, I think it's a strength and sign of maturity to be able to make reasonable plans and stick to them. While I wouldn't say that I have conceded to a life of mediocrity, I have accomplished a few reasonable goals and continue to have a sense of planning for the future.

I would say that I'm much more future-focused than I am ambitious, though. I think ambition is more of a side effect of setting goals rather than a major character trait of mine.
That's interesting. I've noticed that being future-focused is probably making INxJs somehow driven/ambitious in some way due to this need to realize their potential or "missions" in the long-term. It's like a constant need to progress.

Reactions: brightflashes

·
Registered
434 Posts
From what I've observed, INTJs seem very ambitious. Not in climbing-the-corporate-ladder (although I bet there are INTJs who are very well capable of that) ambitious, but always working on some interesting project, always striving to get better at something, learn new things and realize those skills in some practical(-ish) way. For example, my INTP friend likes to learn programming but rarely ever starts a project and when he finally does, he never finishes it. INTJs around me learn new things and put them in practice. In that sense I'd say we are ambitious, ever going forward and making things happen.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
That's interesting. I've noticed that being future-focused is probably making INxJs somehow driven/ambitious in some way due to this need to realize their potential or "missions" in the long-term. It's like a constant need to progress.
I also think that this is why there tends to be a focus on self mastery/self betterment with Ni doms.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I do make a lot of plans. It's kinda related to being ambitious, but mostly has to do with being anxious about floundering. I dislike not knowing what to do/being unsure/being unprepared, so I plan the future and try to bend shit to my will or else.

Don't think I can say that I'm ambitious on the career-front either. I mean... My goal can be labeled as such, but the drive isn't focused as one assumes an ambitious person would be.

The future I've been intent on needs people to make it happen, and when you're a control-freak or too domineering, those people you need are driven away. So... I've learned to ease up a bit and put a lot of that planning energy into personal growth. Center and control the self, rather than directing others. It's nice. Can't say that I'm happier or anything, definitely lighter.

So to actually answer your question, I'd say I set specific goals rather than call myself ambitious. Sometimes it can appear that way because those goals can be lofty and I like to move on to the next project once another is done, but I consider that running from boredom more than anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts