Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you INTJ's have one thought up? If so, which one? If not, why not?
I'm just wondering if amazing planners such as ourselves have a real life plan and if so, if following that plan makes us all happy or not.

·
Registered
705 Posts
plans and purposes are two different things

im unaware of any objective purpose ...but i have plenty of plans

·
Registered
78 Posts
Amazing!

So far not a single one of us has a specific goal.

I don't either. The only possible explanation that I can come up with is that I do not care very much about anything. Sure I want to provide well for my family and have enough money to meet my modest demands, but there isn't much else, or anything specific wanted or needed.

By the way, mission accomplished.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Purpose: I would like to make a positive difference in at least a few lives.

Plan: The details shift because I don't control others, but I've got a good primary outline plus one or two fall-backs.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I have ideas of what I'd like to accomplish in my life, but I wouldn't call any of them a plan or a purpose.
This.

There is no real purpose the way I see it. But, I kinda go about it the reverse way - I know the things that I don't want to become or contribute to, so I've basically made a vague picture of which general directions I don't want to go in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your answers, guys. I guess this is due to my high Fi, I have a few dreams that I plan on succeeding at and I'm really not planning on accepting the end of my life until I do.
It's a real surprise that no INTJ's so far have something like this, because it's really what gives me a road to walk on.
Or maybe I'm just different. Oh well.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
Thanks for all your answers, guys. I guess this is due to my high Fi, I have a few dreams that I plan on succeeding at and I'm really not planning on accepting the end of my life until I do.
It's a real surprise that no INTJ's so far have something like this, because it's really what gives me a road to walk on.
Or maybe I'm just different. Oh well.
Just FYI: I think if you'd phrased your initial question a bit closer to how this post is worded, you would have gotten slightly different answers. It's definitely a semantics thing; I could give you a list of my life goals, and dreams, but I don't derive a sense of purpose from them. My plans are always shifting, however, so I refer to said goals as "ideas." It's not as firm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just FYI: I think if you'd phrased your initial question a bit closer to how this post is worded, you would have gotten slightly different answers. It's definitely a semantics thing; I could give you a list of my life goals, and dreams, but I don't derive a sense of purpose from them. My plans are always shifting, however, so I refer to said goals as "ideas." It's not as firm.
But I did get the ones I wanted. But we COULD totally turn this thread into a goals thread.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a purpose that all my plans wrap around. I don't want to say what it is, but I have one, yes.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Do you INTJ's have one thought up? If so, which one? If not, why not?
I'm just wondering if amazing planners such as ourselves have a real life plan and if so, if following that plan makes us all happy or not.
Purpose is the carrot, the plan is the stick.

Do you really have free-will?

Free from what?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed that after every couple of years or so, my plans shift, sometimes drastically, sometimes hardly any. I started college as a communications major, ended up getting a degree in creative writing. The reason I had done so, was because English/Writing etc had always been a bit of a mystery to me. I didn't like it much, so I thought I'd challenge myself. "I'll be a writer!" I'd say. Now that I have accomplished this, I found myself longing for what I've always loved in the first place... the maths and sciences. So now, I'm back in school for Theoretical Mathematics and Physics, and I feel like a kid all over again. I suspect my plans won't deviate too far from this now, but I'm certain that in the next couple of years they will shift, at least a little.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I've noticed that after every couple of years or so, my plans shift, sometimes drastically, sometimes hardly any. I started college as a communications major, ended up getting a degree in creative writing. The reason I had done so, was because English/Writing etc had always been a bit of a mystery to me. I didn't like it much, so I thought I'd challenge myself. "I'll be a writer!" I'd say. Now that I have accomplished this, I found myself longing for what I've always loved in the first place... the maths and sciences. So now, I'm back in school for Theoretical Mathematics and Physics, and I feel like a kid all over again. I suspect my plans won't deviate too far from this now, but I'm certain that in the next couple of years they will shift, at least a little.
If it's any consolation, this happened to me and really messed my life up a lot. I switched majors, and even colleges, several times, moved all over the country, and only now, at the age of 29, am I finally back on track with goals and a plan to achieve them. I've come to realize that my talents for building efficient systems would probably work very well in a field like electronic engineering, and so now I'm looking into that. Good luck with math and physics, especially physics - that's always been one of my passions as well. Not so much theoretical math though, simply because, I have the strong urge to keep asking the professor, "what is the point of this, what does it do, what does it accomplish," only to get chided with the reminder that my work doesn't need to mean anything or have a purpose right now, but that perhaps someday in the near or distant future, some engineer or scientist might find a use for it. It's about right then that I think, "well, why am I not a scientist or an engineer then."

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I knew someone once who just let life happen whatever way it did.

Pissed me right off, couldn't stand the uncertainty.

Pretty much all the big plans I made, got derailed... "life is what happens when you are busy making plans"

I have few plans or ambitions left, I'm trying not to plan them too much any more, I now see my friend had some wisdom going on there. Ironic.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts