Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it is kind of strange to be posting this in the INTJ forum, but I figured I'd have a shot anyways.
According to online descriptions, INTJs are thick-skinned, unemotional androids that do not easily grasp social rituals. Fair enough, but there's one point that kind of stands out..unemotional androids?
INTJs can be extremely sensitive. It's surprising, considering the descriptions. But since INTJs have Fi and not Fe, I would think that according to MBTI theory they'd take MORE things personally..hence "sensitive." After all, the feeling function is introverted.
What do you guys think? Can INTJs be too sensitive or is it not generally a trait that one would associate with INTJs?
I know for me the empathy part is highly dependent on the situation..like if a murder occurs in the news or something I don't feel anything because I've heard it so many times. But if someone says something that has a huge impact on the way I feel then I CAN get..sensitive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hypersensitive to criticism and teasing. Especially if it's an attack on my intellect. I do that enough without help from others. :dry:
I personally find that I'm fine with criticism AS LONG AS they are not trying to change my character. For example, lecturing the way I dress, act etc..THAT is something I cannot stand. If it was suggestions for improvement on something I created though, then I'm definitely open to suggestions for improvement.

Reactions: zerogravity

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I can be sensitive. People who by direct or indirect action cause me a personal set back i take personally. Also, people who attack me emotionally i take personally.

Reactions: Tony and Turututu

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hm, I am sensitive to some criticism. Basically, I sharply divide between "care" and "don't care". I don't care about my handwriting, for instance. I do care about my ability to write. Critisize the former and I'll join in with a self-deprecating remark. Criticize the latter and you'd better back it up...

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I'm more sensitive than I let on. I do not take insults easily or personal attacks on my character. I appreciate constructive criticism though.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I used to be quite sensitive and shy. Remnants of those traits still reside within me, but my thick skin grows ever thicker. Before I knew of Jungian philosophy, the foundations of my identity could be easily shaken because I myself didn't understand my behavior, thoughts, and actions. It's kind of like being omniscient eye atop the pyramid and feeling very unnerved to see an analytical gaze turned back on you. I think there is great potential for insecurity in INTJs if we try to placate to a society tailored to other types, but we develop a latent self-confidence and an internal self-worth and value it according to our personal rubrics. When it comes time to project our thoughts and muffled feelings, they can get lost in translation. That internal/external dissonance can be a hard reality to face for many, myself included.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you Pseudo, for saying it more clearly than I could at this hour.

I think it would surprise other people to know just how sensitive I can be. When I was younger, I was far worse.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not being properly understood, or not having the time to figure out how to explain something properly so some less intelligent individuals on a higher level of sway in hierarchy situations can change something that is being conducted incorrectly or inefficiently causes me a great deal of anxiety. That, or when I am in a debate of sorts with someone, while the others around me observing choose the o poser's information to be true, because they know that person has done formal studies in that area, when I know that they are not right, and my knowledge is discredited... I also get upset. Both instances lead me to feeling hopeless to some degree, though only for a short period of time.

I tend not to be terribly emotional, and only more recently have been capable of being really emotional, due to previously being a very emotionless person- and identifying that as a weakness.:bored:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can be sensitive sometimes. I appreciate constructive criticism, and I can take a well-grounded counterargument just fine. But I find personal attacks very hurtful or frustrating at times, particularly attacks on my intelligence or integrity. I don't mind good-natured jibes about my failings; I even make my own. But I know that I'm not stupid, and I would be horrified if someone thought I was. And my integrity is extremely important to me, so I get very upset if that is maligned.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
We attach ourselves too much to "unemotional android". It's exceedingly appealing to INTJs as feelings tend to get in the way. Fi is the key, we form powerful opinions and have weak spots. We're not "thin-skinned" by any stretch of the imagination, but we do not take well to insults to our character or intelligence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'm not really sensitive or emotional to the way people think of me, but if someone who i tried to be loving to calls me cold, well it pretty much kills me.
i've become increasingly emotional this past year, but i think it's only because i'm a teenager and is going through some pretty shitty stuff.
i do cry sometimes during movies or whatever, but it's usually when a character is misunderstood--where they werent able to get their point across

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to criticism, especially when it's about my intellect and competence but I rarely show that I'm affected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think we're far better at giving criticism then at receiving it. Which makes us not very sensitive at we say, but very sensitive to what others say about us. Kind of like a glass canon lol

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,563 Posts
I can be sensitive towards criticism when it's wrong. I can totally take it if they have a point. I just tend to think that if you are going out of your way to tell me how I screw up then you had better back it up with something solid. I lose respect for people who cause me to question myself for no good reason.

As for these things called feelings. Yes I feel them but I can control them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was terribly sensitive as a kid, but unusually so. One of my teachers once said that things that should bother me didn't but that I got upset over stuff that I shouldn't (note to teachers: don't ever do this, it only caused me to feel more like an outcast). I learned to control that part of myself; I'm still sensitive and have insecurities but I'm able to hide it behind my stoic attitude, self-confidence, and humor.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I get quite sensitive when my modest hopes and dreams are belittled for not being as grandeur as others, in particular if it's somebody I care about. I know what I want in my life, and it isn't a big fancy house, car or career. What I want is stability, security and happiness... no matter what shape or form it takes.

I am also quite sensitive that when a person knows how difficult it is for me to express my emotions and for them to ignore them... sweep them under the carpet as it were. This can be incredibly hurtful. My fi can at times be explosive and messy... but it doesn't come out that much.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts