Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious if there are other INTJs out there with learning disabilities.

Reason for inquiry: I don't know many people with learning disabilities, so given my shitty weekend, I figured that rather than raving about how someone close to me decided that I couldn't calculate a tip in my head because I just wasn't working hard enough, I could do something productive and seek out others like myself and learn about their experiences.

I'll go first: I am dyslexic.

My writing is legible, but only because I wrote a three hundred page book by hand. It was good practice. I can spell, somewhat, but only because I want to be a writer, and I basically went through and memorized the spelling of every word in the English language on a case by case basis since I have no grasp of spelling rules. (Proof: I spelled every word correct on the English spelling part of the IQ test for learning disabilities last year, but I did miserably on the one where you're supposed to spell made-up words that follow the normal rules. Of course, the tester claimed this meant I had coped successfully and didn't need accommodations.)

I am very good at complex math, but I'm awful at basic math. I mix up numbers when I try to calculate them in my head and can't hold very many numbers in my head at once. Having someone attempt to explain how to do a problem without showing me in writing what they're doing is an exercise in futility. I prefer to use a calculator for percentages, addition, subtraction, multiplication and addition since it's faster and far more reliable. I can, however, grasp the switch from Cartesian coordinates to spherical and cylindrical coordinates better than most human calculators I know. I also find doing high level mathematics to be a unique form of zen-like meditation.

I cannot tell right from left (unless I am facing a specific direction) and can never keep track of the cardinal directions. Reading non digital clocks is also pretty challenging, but I've managed to get the hang of it.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,788 Posts
I have problems with numbers, I may have dyscalculia. Probably not to the extreme of some but it's proved itself to be a pain.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Get the "hand" of it! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

OMG that was funny...

*turns back to serious mode* I've had that same problem since childhood. I am terribly slow with simple things(math, directions), but I can solve the most complex problems. I haven't had a chance to learn much past algebra, so I can't talk there, but I've always solved big math problems in my head before the class even began writing. When I'm approached with a small math problem, I get stuck and my mind begins overlapping on a step that isn't there.

Face it: I think this is true for most NTs because we're better at solving big problems than small ones. Thank you iNtuition!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have problems with numbers, I may have dyscalculia. Probably not to the extreme of some but it's proved itself to be a pain.
I have this as well...constantly switching numbers around.

I am not aware of any other learning disabilities, but I had a horrible time in math in high school. Basic algebra just did not compute for me, even though if you gave me a multiple choice test on my math101 in college I could tell you what the right answer probably was - I just couldn't explain how to get there. Geometry and 3-dimensional thinking is right up my alley. I can easily picture things 3-dimensionally, and operate well in that regard.

No issues with reading or writing, but I was an avid reader from a very young age, so that helped immensely with my writing and spelling skills. As does a web browser with spell check, and if I misspell a word enough times eventually I'll get around to figuring out the correct spelling.

I'm absolutely horrible at rote memorization though. I find it nigh unto impossible to memorize and regurgitate facts and figures, dates and names, etc. Hence being an art major.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,788 Posts
I have this as well...constantly switching numbers around.

I am not aware of any other learning disabilities, but I had a horrible time in math in high school. Basic algebra just did not compute for me, even though if you gave me a multiple choice test on my math101 in college I could tell you what the right answer probably was - I just couldn't explain how to get there. Geometry and 3-dimensional thinking is right up my alley. I can easily picture things 3-dimensionally, and operate well in that regard.

No issues with reading or writing, but I was an avid reader from a very young age, so that helped immensely with my writing and spelling skills. As does a web browser with spell check, and if I misspell a word enough times eventually I'll get around to figuring out the correct spelling.

I'm absolutely horrible at rote memorization though. I find it nigh unto impossible to memorize and regurgitate facts and figures, dates and names, etc. Hence being an art major.
Exactly! I would have to write in English exactly what I was supposed to do when it came to what kind of formula and process, random letters and numbers that change their value are totally meaningless to me when it comes to any maths formulas. I am good with multiple guess on these things too and good with spatial tasks. The numbers turn into a sea of shit but I am good at data entry....Oh I am good at making a budget and money in general. I just process it through imagination I guess...Go figure.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Learning disabilities? Do mental disorders count?

I have ADD and Asperger's Syndrome, and possibly some mild OCD. All this, combined with the INTJ personality type makes me a rather self-contradictory character. [For example, I can employ sarcasm seamlessly into my sharp humor like a natural INTJ, but I can't detect sarcasm when someone else uses it at least 77% of the time because of my Asperger's Syndrome. I want to get things done as an INTJ, but ADD keeps my focus off par. The ADD also makes me a bit more emotional than the average INTJ.]

Reactions: White River

·
Registered
229 Posts
Oh, what an interesting thread.
I don't have anything that can be medically defined but I have severe issues with math, also. A lot of it is related to what Vigor was explaining - I have problems with small calculations and can look like an utter idiot. The more complex the problems are, the easier it is for me. Also, I'm a physics major so this can be highly contradictory.
.. I forget basic algebra a lot.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That's interesting. All I've acknowledged about algebra is that I hated it. I almost failed Algebra II. But then again, I found out the next year that I was supposed to actually take Geometry before Algebra II. Ahahah. :dry:

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's quite irritating, too. :mellow:
It's intriguing being an INTJ with Asperger's and ADD, though. If anything I'd think Asperger's would drastically amplify your INTJ tendencies.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The interesting thing is, I think that the Asperger's in my mind with the personality type is like copying a certain set of property files into a main computer that has some of the same files; when copying them in, the similar files stay the same and are not duplicated. I just have some added properties from the Asperger's set. When I first read the INTJ profile I thought it was perfectly on par, with intensity and traits and everything. So I don't think anything was quite amplified.

In complete contradiction to all what I have put up already, I actually have maybe a few dozen friends, in person and online. Most IRL friends are feelers, too. I keep finding that kind of thing odd.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Interesting. Simple calculations are difficult while complex math is easier.

What's the difference between the 2?

Simple math requires just pulling from memory all the tables that you learned when you were a kid. It's not real math, your brain actually just breaks down the calculations into parts of which it can pull the answers from memory. That same logic applies to writing as well.

With complex math you don't do that. Much less memory is involved and "in the moment understanding" is more important.

Makes me wonder, if you approach simple math the same way you do complex math, does simple math get easier?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Learning disability?
hmm, yes, I have a big one, I can not learn from any of my mistakes in any social context unless somebody points it out. Then it takes me some heavy try and error to fix it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
^ That's not a disability; if I'm not mistaken, this is common for an INTJ.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I gotta have some fun and motivation to learn something. If I don't have that I don't even try.
I really dislike my professor in math at the college I'm in so I basically given up but the funny thing is that I'm taking online classes without credit for fun from Yale University videos because I find the topic of game theory so interesting.
Aside from this I do sometimes have dyslexia and I was diagnosed with ADHD.

·
Registered
330 Posts
math and spelling can be a struggle if I'm tired and it bores me..i have been told i have dyscalculia and dyslexia. I let neither stop me from obtaining what i want. My best in spelling is that i switch around certain letter groupings as well as number groupings and it's only certain ones. I read fast and comprehend well. Thanks for starting this thread as i see it seems to be a trait in other intj's as well. =)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Me too! i think i have a mild case of dyscalculia, numbers make me very nervous, sometimes i can't even breath normally...
I'm great with advanced algebra and geometry though but numbers can be a nightmare and the result is often wrong. but i have my way of dealing with it for instance instead of working with number i work with abstract values ( x, y , z...) and to do calculation i use logic . for instance lets say i want to find the result for 28+34+53:
28+34 est is almost 29+31 =30+30=>60
60+53 => 60+50+3=>110+3=>113
but we should take the 1 we added to 28 => 112
and add the 3 we took from 34=> 112+3=> 115

of course when i try to explain it to someone they can't follow. people thinks it's complicated but it's kinda automatic and easier for me than doing calculation the way people do.

In general i like working with abstract values and ideas .

·
Registered
571 Posts
Im Hyperactive Impulsive, and i have problems with straight forward math, as in 6*8= uhhhh... ((6*10)-(2*6))=(60-12)=((60-10)-2)=(50-2)=48. Btw, this is an example of how i calculate. It is odd, i know. But when somebody gives me algebra, i get so enthusiastic that even while succeding at getting the right answer, I or switch some numbers up, or the method I used to find the number wasnt tought, so I dont get the points. And when it comes to physics and Chemistry formulas, I usualy dont even need to calculate to know the answer, I just know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting reading through this thread. I was thinking about starting a thread similar as I have a learning disability myself. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a young child. I started taking Ritaline in 1st grade. The medication made me somewhat of a vegetable to be honest. I became much less social and it killed my appetite. I guess it was necessary though. My mind would always wander off in class b/c of my in depth imagination. I can pretty much be somewhere completely different if desired (or against my will at times). My imagination is vivid, and definitely distracted me during school when growing up. I have been learning ways to use it to my advantage and I think I have made acceptable progress over the years.

I've never had a problem learning any subject really. My problem was actually paying attention and taking an interest in the subject being taught. I think my problem is that I view a subject as "work" and therefore rebel sub-conscientiously. In doing so my mind wanders into more desirable thoughts. Essentially daydreaming I suppose. I will say that science and english classes always came naturally though. Everything from spelling or sentence structure to critical thinking and so on was a breeze for whatever reason. Anything dealing with chemisty or foreign language came naturally as well. I suppose it was because I took an interest in these subjects naturally.

Funny how we all have our quirks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. Simple calculations are difficult while complex math is easier.

What's the difference between the 2?

Simple math requires just pulling from memory all the tables that you learned when you were a kid. It's not real math, your brain actually just breaks down the calculations into parts of which it can pull the answers from memory. That same logic applies to writing as well.

With complex math you don't do that. Much less memory is involved and "in the moment understanding" is more important.

Makes me wonder, if you approach simple math the same way you do complex math, does simple math get easier?
I'm not sure on that one, honestly. Since I'm usually allowed to use a calculator on tests and always have a cell phone on hand when I need to do math in public, I made the executive decision to accept my troubles with basic math and move on.

I struggle against my spelling issues, but since I don't want to do math for a living I use simpler coping mechanisms for mathematics.

As for the differences...you're right. Simple math is mostly memorization and tricks. Complex math requires a different set of skills and less regurgitation of facts. Finding a derivative or an anti-derivative is much easier than having to divide 84 by 6 in my head.

Also, the more complex the math is, the less they use actual numbers. It's harder to switch X and Y up than 2 and 5.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts