Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As INTJs, do you care more about sticking to a "grand plan", or, do you stick to every plan without deviation and without procrastination no matter how little it matters in the long term? Think of Chess, sacrificing pieces, but having an end game in mind that can work around even unexpected moves.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Difficult question. My plans extend to various points in time and have various levels of detail about them depending upon their overall importance to my life. Likewise they will either be followed or discarded according to where I am in every point in time and their continuing relevance to my life.

- What I plan to do today? May only be filled in with a single task that I am wanting to achieve or may have nothing at all planned if there is nothing specific. Unplanned days tend to be wasted in internet time or whatever I feel is entertaining in the short term. What I do today has little bearing on the direction of my life unless there is a deadline looming therefore it warrants little of my planning attention.
- What I plan to do this year? Again there only may be a vague notion here unless the deadline of my 5yr plan is looming and I know that a strategic move may need to be made. Otherwise I am happy to just continue on and watch and wait for an open door to present itself.
- What I plan to do within the current 5yr span? I tend to make detailed plans about how I see my life in 5yr spans. That's about the length of time I'm happy to be in a particular job or sustain a particular lifestyle before change is necessary and boredom sets in. So if say I am planing to stay in a particular role then I would also make financial plans, home life plans and any kind of recreational plans as well. These tend to be quite detailed with specific competency sets that I want to acheive.
- Life goals? This is an overall vague notion of how I want things to pan out and the 5yr plans are usually made with reference to this overall vision. There aren't detailed steps for getting there because I prefer to allow the 5yr plans to change those steps on the fly according to the advantage of open doors that might present themselves along the way. I prefer this vision to be attained by fluidity rather than a rigid set of rules that aren't likely to be relevant over the long term. I know that the more I learn, the more I experience then what I don't know will change and so will my strategy at the same time. I have a built in mechanism for allowing myself to become wiser and more learned about how to get there.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@InSolitude Similar to me in a way. I always have some end game in mind, and always achieve what I set out to achieve, but, the short term allows detours for either my enjoyment/relaxation, or because of external circumstances. I often joke that if it ever got to "game over" for me, I'd really show what I am to people, because "saving face" wouldn't matter anymore. That is only humour though. I think a lot of people at least think about that. About what they'd be if...backed into a corner and left with no options after those stimulating mental calculations. I get off on thinking up contingencies as soon as possible, and so far have no idea how I'd react if I could never get my way in life, since I usually look at the world as something to be manipulated. My game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.