Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sensuality (ˌsɛnsjʊˈælɪtɪ)
— n , pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being sensual
2. excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures

What does sensuality mean to you?

There is a common misconception that INTJs are cold and frigid, we all know this isn't the case. Maybe some of us prefer a more brutal kind of sensuality, more others a more deep and darker kind.

I want to know what it means to you as an individual. What things get your blood boiling? That the time in this thread to post music, pictures or describe scenarios.

For me sensuality is a mixture of every emotion to the extreme. The raw primal scream urging to come out and engulf the moment. It is visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory. It is the true emotion coming to the surface; anger, love, passion, obsession, anxiety, ecstasy, hate, joy... and a little bit of fear.

I am a true slave to sensuality, and at the mercy of my passion. Damn that strong Ni Fi.

Here is a video that Bionic showed me a long time ago, I thought it would kick start everybody's creative juices.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,765 Posts
I am not a brutal person (in my eyes) yet there are times when I have wondered why I get aroused at times when there is only horror.

I can remember a moment when INFJ ex was pouring out some deep rhetoric about how displeased he was with my robotic responsibility of going to school working on essays caring for toddlers doing the housework (instead of romantic interludes and taking time out for us) At one point he started winding up for more attacks on the way he tried so very hard to reach me and puts all his energy into the relationship....I was just about to start screaming at him but actually started to feel quite aroused by the whole stupidity of the argument and went over to where he was sitting and leant over and started kissing him. He pulled away in shock and got up and left the room. Rejected I went back to doing my work thinking that could have been an opportunity for some really great sex but at the same time thought.....I know how to end the next argument:dry:

Another time we were both watching the movie The Pianist. The horror of desolation and destruction of the movie (of a lonely man starving and alone in a bomb devastated city) moved me to stress then to arousal and I started initiating the moves for sex and was politely put off once more as it was deemed a rather inappropriate (considering what we were watching).

These moments in time when I been seen more as a monster (rather than an intense person in search of brutal honesty with sadness/empathy, yearning to form a union at that precise juncture where I can be reached at my most vulnerable) are also moments in time where I am at my most fragile.

To me my sensuality can verge on violence, extreme emotions and a wanting to share in moments of time. No-one has actually reached that moment in time...only come close.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another time we were both watching the movie The Pianist. The horror of desolation and destruction of the movie (of a lonely man starving and alone in a bomb devastated city) moved me to stress then to arousal and I started initiating the moves for sex and was politely put off once more as it was deemed a rather inappropriate (considering what we were watching).
This is quite normal actually. Studies have shown that during times of stress, like 9/11, wars or a very public death of someone popular or well loved, say Princess Di, that people have more sex. It's a survival thing, I guess, and situations like that make people grateful for not being in the same situation (or trigger the need to strengthen their bond with loved ones). Therefore your reaction to "a lonely man starving and alone in a bomb devastated city" seems right.

Feel free to tell me if you think I'm talking crap.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,765 Posts
This is quite normal actually. Studies have shown that during times of stress, like 9/11, wars or a very public death of someone popular or well loved, say Princess Di, that people have more sex. It's a survival thing, I guess, and situations like that make people grateful for not being in the same situation (or trigger the need to strengthen their bond with loved ones). Therefore your reaction to "a lonely man starving and alone in a bomb devastated city" seems right.

Feel free to tell me if you think I'm talking crap.
Gah....you are probably right. I wish I had this argument back then instead of having to wear the "evil sensate bitch" tag.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Sensuality: pleasure experienced through the senses

Scent: the heady sweet aroma of locust blossoms in May; fresh baked bread; warm earth, white clover, tall grass pasture in July; musky sweat on skin

Sight: ice encased spring blooms; candles floating in water; low hanging full moon over winter landscape; star crusted sky in the middle of nowhere; stubbled face so close to mine i can't focus my eyes

Sound: lush piano; warm cello; blown breath and cadenced hoofbeats muted by loose sand; the wind rustling through the woods in the fall; throaty whisper at my ear

Taste: bitter dark chocolate; dry red wine; tart-sweet persimmons right off the tree; sun-warmed blackberries; brandy in a flask passed around a campfire in winter

Touch: rose petals and foxtail and river smoothed stones and milkweed; weathered wood; old leather; silk and velvet on bare skin; warm oil spread by gentle fingers; delicate kisses on sensitive parts

·
Registered
305 Posts
For me, the simple answer is Form. But, for an INTJ, nothing is ever simple.

When I look at INTj functionallity, I see that Si (introverted sensing) is our 6th (mobilizing) function and Fe (extraverterted feeling) is our 5th (suggesting) function. As such they are areas that we are quite weak in and are things that we look for in a potential partner.
"Si is responsible for perception of physical sensations; questions of comfort, coziness, and pleasure; and a sense of harmony and acclimation with one's environment (especially physical). Si understand how well a person or thing's behavior agrees with its nature as well as the differences between comfortable behaviors and positions and uncomfortable ones."
"Fe is responsible for the perception of an emotional state in an individual and the bodily and linguistic expression of emotions. Fe is able to influence others' emotional condition and to communicate its own, "infecting" others. Fe is used especially in generating and recognizing excitement and enthusiasm."
(quotes striaght from Wikipedia article on socionics)

What this then suggests about sensuality and motivation, for the INTj personality, is a need to have our emotional state recognized through physical feed back. When our eomtional state is physically recognized by another individual we get turned on. So, while it may seem absurd, when I am angry and someone acts in anger toward me, I find it sensual because their Form is in harmony with my emotional state.

Cold and clinical has nothing to do with it. Deep and meaningful is everything.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
...a need to have our emotional state recognized through physical feed back. When our eomtional state is physically recognized by another individual we get turned on....
Having my heightened state of awareness and connectivity recognized by someone else is intoxicating. When that someone responds in kind, my brain shuts down and my body takes over. An ability to recall sense memories, an active imagination, and that nearly indescribable Ni all loop together to create an exhilarating experience.

Deep and meaningful is everything.
Indeed. :wink:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
At times, I can exhibit a hedonistic attitude and I will indulge in purely sensual pleasures. Part of it comes my sense of playfulness and willingness to experiment in life. But, also because of my sensitivity and emotional passion (i.e., Fi); my tendency to link certain sensual stimuli to my emotions (Se+Fi). If this drive for emotional passion couples with my intuition (Ni+Fi), then you have a pretty intoxicating and exhilarating brew. This intensity, though, bubbles underneath the surface and expresses itself primarily in the confines of my own mind; rarely do others experience my sensual nature (unless I've let them into the strange mosaic that is my mind).

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing..."
~John Keats

*Deep breath...Love:

Ah, the pleasure of good wine:

Music, my muse:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wicked staggers in

erm yes we are hyper novas as super novas are so meh

PS you missed out the word bdsm, for that few lot who actually know us

Totters off draped in bath plugs

·
Registered
305 Posts
At times, I can exhibit a hedonistic attitude and I will indulge in purely sensual pleasures. Part of it comes my sense of playfulness and willingness to experiment in life. But, also because of my sensitivity and emotional passion (i.e., Fi); my tendency to link certain sensual stimuli to my emotions (Se+Fi). If this drive for emotional passion couples with my intuition (Ni+Fi), then you have a pretty intoxicating and exhilarating brew. This intensity, though, bubbles underneath the surface and expresses itself primarily in the confines of my own mind; rarely do others experience my sensual nature (unless I've let them into the strange mosaic that is my mind).
OUCH!!

Please try to make some sense at least.

I understand that letting fly with your two weakest functions (Se and Fi) can bring a sense of excitement and abandonment, but don't bother trying to put it into words, (because you will fail.)

Further, you should do some more research on personality type elements and functions, in order to get a better understanding of them, before using them to describe your experiences and behaviour. As far as behavioural function is concerned, Ni (introverted iNtuition) is our 7th (Ignoring) function: "A person has very little use of this element, as it is the rival image of the base function, representing an antithetical approach to the same domain. It lies in the subconscious as a persistent annoyance to the individual."

Combining Ni and Fi in your behaviour will make you sick, and the only thing bubbling up then will be the bourbon you drank ealier!

Finally, don't confuse behaviour with cognition, you may be able to think the way you described, but behaving in that manner is an entirely different thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wicked staggers in

erm yes we are hyper novas as super novas are so meh

PS you missed out the word bdsm, for that few lot who actually know us

Totters off draped in bath plugs
OMG!!

How is it that there are so many people claiming to be INTJ who clearly are not!

BDSM is not a word! It is an acronym, representing four words! Each of which represent concepts of destruction, NOT sensuality!

BDSM are concepts of the Marquis de Sade which, in essence, holds that everything is meaningless, and therefore that which I percieve as meaningful must be destroyed.

Now, if you want to explain yourself in a way that other people can understand you, go ahead.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OMG!!

How is it that there are so many people claiming to be INTJ who clearly are not!

BDSM is not a word! It is an acronym, representing four words! Each of which represent concepts of destruction, NOT sensuality!
First of all, you are new so I will let you in on a secret: People get very sticky when you start claiming they have mistyped themselves. If you are going to claim somebody is mistyped you better have proof to back it up. (I do actually agree with you though in this case)

BDSM is sensual to many people. It may not be sensual to you personally though. Destruction to me is sensual, how can it not be? It evokes strong feelings inside my mind and body and gives a feeling of eroticism.

What's this about Ni not being one of our main functions? I thought INTJs dominant function was Ni? I would love to take this up with you one time and not derail. Are you perhaps confusing this with Ne?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
OUCH!! Please try to make some sense at least.
Hahaha...okay. Interesting way to open up discussion or clarification.

Finally, don't confuse behaviour with cognition, you may be able to think the way you described, but behaving in that manner is an entirely different thing.
I want to start here because I truly believe you are confused with your accusation here. I'm well aware of the difference between behavior and attitudes; however, research has shown that attitudes are still strongly correlated with behavior, especially when they are logically consistent with each other. If you read my post, I start with my attitude and clearly link with my behaviors, indicating that they are consistent for the most part. I then tried to describe my cognitive processes for why I hold these attitudes and tend towards some behaviors that I've observed over the years. Clearly, I was describing my thought process when I said, "...and expresses itself primarily in the confines of my own mind..."

To perhaps clarify, many stimuli that I experience with my senses (in particular music, but also other sensual experiences like the smell of salt air) can strongly evoke emotions tied to previous experiences. In other words, I tend to put meaning behind these experiences, rather than just simply experiencing them in of themselves.

Combining Ni and Fi in your behaviour will make you sick, and the only thing bubbling up then will be the bourbon you drank ealier!
No doubt. You describe it well. I was not talking about behavior...just cognition. Nevertheless, the reaction can be the same.

I understand that letting fly with your two weakest functions (Se and Fi) can bring a sense of excitement and abandonment, but don't bother trying to put it into words, (because you will fail.)
I'm not sure what you mean here...We use all of our functions, some more than others depending on situation and inclination. Development of the tertiary and fourth functions tend to come later in life, after you have grown and feel comfortable with the dominant and auxiliary functions. In other words, you learn that there is actually a time and place for Fi and Se, even though we are still most comfortable with Ni and Te. Ironically and amusingly, even my experience of sensory experiences, like drinking a good wine, are exhaustively subjected to analysis! It seems odd, however, for you to claim that we would not be able to describe our use of Fi and Se. Perhaps, I failed, but that doesn't preclude others from doing so.

Lastly, my post here contained multiple messages that were certainly not aimed at you. But that's okay. How would you know? No big deal. I post mainly to amuse, not to impress experts like you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts