Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when you are stressed?

How does your behaviour change when you are stressed?

What are the top 3-5 things that you do to try to relieve/relax yourself?

What can you see are some things that if you did regularly would prevent or reduce the occurence of stress in your life?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
How do you know when you are stressed? I clench my teeth and my body temp skyrockets.

How does your behaviour change when you are stressed? I become very impatient with others. Social mask disappears and I revert to my natural, detached, cold and logical state.

Breathing exercises.
Physical exercise.
I talk myself down - rationalize why I'm stressed and deal with the triggers.
When I'm extremely stressed, I will shutdown and try to find a dark corner to disappear into.

What can you see are some things that if you did regularly would prevent or reduce the occurence of stress in your life?
Physical exercise. When I have a regular workout schedule, I cope much better with things that would otherwise stress me out.
Learning my triggers. Knowing what sets me off allows me to avoid or mentally prepare for situations.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I get more anxious
I cut people short, everyone and everything irritates me. I just want to get the job done and move on
running
some heavy metal
usually dealing with the problem that stresses me brings back my ballance
cleaning, reorganizing something, reading, cooking and other physical activities

·
Registered
620 Posts
How do you know when you are stressed? when I angry/anxious over silly things or for no reason at all

How does your behaviour change when you are stressed? I become insanly obsessive-compulsive, repetitive, irritated easily, and I dont feel sleepy for a few days

What are the top 3-5 things that you do to try to relieve/relax yourself? take anxiety medication, give myself 2-4+ days of alone time, and take a long hot bath with dim lights.

What can you see are some things that if you did regularly would prevent or reduce the occurence of stress in your life? get sleep, give myself alone time, rationalize things, and to not stress over details.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'll bite my nails or fidget. Also, I'll clean and organize everything.

I become even more reclusive, and have a lower tolerance for people talking to me.

Yoga, reading, sleeping, playing ukulele, or making a collage.

Develop a higher tolerance for people.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I generally have to run a check on my stress level or else it could escalate to the point where I wont notice it until I find my eyes twitching, tense muscles, maybe. I've become much better at realizing when I am stressed, however and I am not very stressed often because I will take steps to cure my stress.

I may possibly say something or do some things that isolate me from the people I like and care about.
I think too much about things. I might second guess myself and have a slight dip in my normal confidence level.

Understand completely why I am stressed.
Play really loud music.
Do something else fun, or get caught up on my homework. lol.

Regular relaxation and remembering not to take myself too seriously. Tell myself to chill every so often. Figure out what is going on with my Fi completely, and use some Se. That pretty much always works. Get excited about a funny thought I had and go tell people.

Good luck with your stress levels!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When I have zero free time. Like last week for instance, and much of this one. When you have a billion deadlines all at once. When you're contemplating dropping something, be it a class, club, or other obligation...

Less willing to interact with people. More feeling like shit. More feeling like I need a hug from the 0.01% of the world from whom a hug is not only not poison, but can skyrocket my mood for literally days at a time. Confidence can decrease to an extent. The recognition that sleep is bloody well important goes up, and the amount of it, unfortunately and generally, down. Anything unnecessary around the house doesn't get done. Cleaning the house halts.

Television.
Exercising if I'm smart, though unfortunately I turn to this less often than I'd like.
PerC.
On rare occasions, a long shower where I lose myself in the experience of the water (wow, that sounds... really... that phrasing, ironically enough, makes me feel dirty all over).
Anything not work/homework.
Having extended conversations with awesome people online, really boosts my mood, I do this with ENFPs and INTJs. Would probably work even better in real life, sadly, the one or two of them I actually know live elsewhere.
Listening to the right kind of music to put a smile on my face and motivate me to do stuff. At the moment, this, and the other Sherlock music on that guy's account.

Exercise... I've proven to myself that it works. Exercise lowers stress and increases attractiveness in more than just the obvious ways (also clears up my face of acne).
I also took far too ambitious a course load this semester for my own good, and while I'll be able to manage it... it wasn't the smart thing to do for a number of reasons.
Being away from the family has greatly reduced my stress levels. I don't get on with the family, my brother aside.
Making sure that I'm taking classes with good professors so that I don't need to read the book much, if at all.
Having some amount social contact, especially with the people whose company I enjoy the most (generally ENFPs) :).

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,488 Posts
How do you know when you are stressed? I tend to get headaches.

How does your behaviour change when you are stressed? I try to focus on the main thing which is causing the grief so I tend to get impatient if new problems arise in this time. I'm likely to lash out a little on the protagonists introducing the smaller problems as they bore and irritate. If you see me treating someone with a lot of tact it's because I've probably thought more on the issue there. (tact, heh, me?)

What are the top 3-5 things that you do to try to relieve/relax yourself? Focus on what path to take earlier, wait to see how it unfolds then tack and trim along the way making sure that I've given myself plenty of time to live a fairly relaxed way. Eg. I never study 2 days before an exam, if at all. If I have been doing it bit by bit the way through then I've passed/excelled. If I haven't got the knowledge there then there isn't any way I'm going to get it in those two days. It's better just to try and free think your way through what questions they might ask in exam. I tend to want to get my ducks in a row at home before anything else when I know I'm stressed. So I will set everything up in my particular comfort so I can flop. I focus on other things such as making a stock pile of cooked food to eat just in case I can't be bothered. I've been in and out of levels of stress related illness for years so I know how to catch myself from falling into another bout. Support, soothe and relieve.

So....this question;

is actually part of the preceding question. A continual loop of support to relieve stress. I give myself time now rather than push myself to the enth degree of extreme like I did before. I know what I'm capable of but I hold back a lot now so I don't push with everything like I did before I became ill.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I become short tempered and increasingly critical of people's character flaws, often recalling irrelevant information just to wound them in the hopes of forcing them to leave my presence so that I can get my head around the problem I'm agonising over. Although, that relates to something which I find easy to solve such as more intellectual problems. Stress triggered by emotional circumstances can bring out a lot of violence in me, often towards my work and not other people, and a complete withdrawal into my own mind.

See above.

Ride it out
Involve myself in an activity completely unrelated to what is causing me stress (sit at the piano, go for a walk, have a nap and so on)
Drink until euphoria arrives or I go to bed

Severe head trauma followed by retiring to live in a cave somewhere in the highlands.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get stressed over the tiniest things, yet I find it strange that the things that stress me out, other people seem to see as petty. Yet other people get stressed over things I think are incredibly petty. Just wanted to get that in there.

I know I'm stressed if I can't think logically and calmly. Generally happens when I'm trying to study and there are so many people around doing their little irritating quirks or talking and being obnoxious. I react by putting my head in my hands, occasionally muttering death threats or similar whilst feeling my pulse quicken.

If I'm seriously stressed (ie. over a long time and what I see as a massive issue), then sometimes I won't feel like eating at all. I'll be simultaneously worrying about whatever has me stressed and also unable to concentrate on solving it, sending me into big spirals of stress... If I'm antisocial normally, I'm a lot more antisocial if I'm stressed out. I get angry quicker and am less able to hold myself together.

I'm incredibly bad at being able to 'de-stress'. It doesn't happen. If it's a minor/temporary thing, I remove myself from the situation and go off by myself for a while to calm down and go for a walk or something where I won't be disturbed. If it's a big thing, well... as stated, I just get more and more stressed...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am easily annoyed by people and things that normally don't even register with me.

I withdraw. I get cold and unresponsive. I give the death glare if bothered too much and become quite scary (so I have been told).

Clean
Read
Beadwork

Obvious answer is physical exercise. I know when I am starting to climb that ladder and become stressed, my life is busy. I know I need to value myself enough to take some selfish moments to make myself happier and feel better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. When I get stressed my heart rate increases, I'll feel uncomfortably warm, wont want to be touched, I have a really bad habit of pulling out my eyebrows and eyelashes and biting my nails.

2. I will sound angry and short with people that I know on a more personal basis and unless directly asked a question I will just be silent and keep my head down.

3. Playing video games, yoga, smoking weed, anxiety/depression medication.

4. I feel I need to teach myself to accept and believe in myself, if something that I need to do is stressing me out I need to believe in myself that I have the ability to handle it, and do well and everything will be alright.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've tried to answer these questions but each time I try to define it I end up with "it varies" apart from answering the last question.

What would I do regularly to reduce stress.... And I find the answer to that is "world domination"

Broadly though, just deal with stuff two months before it happens, or sooner. Big stuff is never an issue, it's idiotically small stuff that winds me up. I try to take the long view.

Edit. And stuff that come up out of the blue I have already thought about to the point that I have systems to deal with it in place in my head.

Sleep helps!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get annoyed/frustrated with small things that wouldn't normally bother me at all.

I get irritable and even more reclusive than I normally am.

- Play piano
- Play violin
- Compose music

These are the main three things I do and they work every time.

Just avoid situations that cause me stress :tongue:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't concentrate and my head starts to hurt.

I get irritated over ridiculously small things.

- Try to do something simple but useful, f. ex. cleaning.
- Think by myself.
- Draw.

I try to do my duties in time and avoid getting involved in stressful situations.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I can't concentrate and begin overthinking whatever - even if it's a trivial thing.

I get irritated and get somewhat paranoid about whatever I think it has a problem.

- Get a shower.
- Play bass guitar.
- Sleep helps as well.

Not overthink about anything. I'm training myself to eliminate this, or at least diminish. Other than that, I'm fine.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I can't concentrate, I stop enjoying favourite activities, I have trouble sleeping, I worry a lot.

I become irritable, emotional, impatient, tired, unmotivated

1. Sleep
2. Talk to friends/sister/dad/people on here
3. Cry
4. Eat chocolate
5. Write about it, describing every detail, and then try to see it from someone else's point of view, figure out what I could have done better etc.

Bonus- sleep, hot shower, exercise, music. It really depends on the kind of stress. Or sometimes I just need to go out and have fun.

Avoid procrastinating, see my friends more, read my bible, stick to a routine, do the things I don't want to do then reward myself, do more exercise, avoid toxic people.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I just know. Usual sign is when all I want to do is wipe out humanity. It is a pretty strong sign.

I get more sarcastic and get annoyed really easy.

Doing what I like to do. Close myself at home, not returning any phone calls; get high with little quantities of my favorite green herb and watch something that I really enjoy (usually stuff about digital painting or scientific shows about space)

Don't get involved with many people. I tend also to deny requests to work on something that I don't enjoy. When I do work on something boring I tend to be lazy and in the same time I am feeling guilty that I don't do my work well (or at all) and I am letting someone down with my actions.
What prevents me from getting stressed is music mostly. I feel dead when my mp3 battery dies (good for me that I rarely let that happen). I also tend to avoid people or situations that I don't really like just for the sake of my mental stability.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I feel it; I get agitated and don't want to be bothered, otherwise I get quite snappy.

Besides getting snappy, I become more cynical and I have to do my other tasks more that once (because my mind is preoccupied.) I also try to do things faster just to get them out of the way. All inanimate objects are my enemies.

Slow down, get out my anger/stress somehow, do something enjoyable that's relaxing (like music,) get away from the stressor, or lay in the dark and/or private place away from people.

Read a scripture. Just make the decision to not get stressed from certain things. I don't have a lot of stress in my life anyway.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
How do you know when you are stressed? I tend to get tense and start to lack muscle flexibility. Sometimes I have muscle spasms or cramps if I'm really stressed out. I get tired faster, require more sleep, reduction of appetite and physical performance suffers. I also lose weight fast.

How does your behaviour change when you are stressed? I become less tolerant and compassionate. I become more critical, detached and I turn more aggressive.
Cardiovascular exercises.
Isometric/Weight resistance exercises.
Soccer and/or Judo.
Masturbation (or sex if I have a GF, which is rare because nobody likes me).
Increased intake of water, Omega 3's/5's, chamomile tea, B-complex and multi-vitamins.
Reduction of sugars, caffeine, any major stimulants and junk food. (I have also been observing bethdeth's awesome diet tips as well).

I noticed that the more I slack physically, the easier I tend to get stressed. Sleep deprivation also takes a major toll in my stress threshold.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts