Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's true that INTJs tend to be logical, seeing they have Extroverted Thinking as their Auxiliary function. But it's important to note that the dominant function is Introverted Intuition. As such, their Te is only a slave to their more irrational function. Ni, based on my understanding, takes an interest in the mysterious. The world that is excluded from what can be observed by senses alone. At least I take an interest in the mysterious, spiritual and metaphysical. This is the open mindedness of Ni in difference from the close mindedness of Te. Ni doesn't seek closure and thanks to its irrational nature it doesn't dismiss beliefs or values that are different from its own. This is what allows INTJs for instance to be atheistic and still understand theistic people or vice versa. Ni does not judge the values of others, it seeks to understand. And to understand the otherworldly is just as good, if not even better, than to understand the mundane. As such I find INTJs to be more philosophical and insightful than they are given credit for. But the INTJ is unfortunately often wrongfully stereotyped as hard natural Scientists who dismiss everything that cannot be scientifically explained. That's an over reliance on Te. Because this very stereotype neglects what it means to have Introverted Intuition as a dominant function. But I suppose a Te subtype could healthily be this way.

Continuing, I'd say that an often overlooked characteristic of the INTJ personality type is their preference for intuition or "Gut feelings" over pondering for hours at end to reach a logical conclusion. At least in my case, I only think once I'm confronted by a problem. And even then I don't "think" the way it's normally defined. This is Extroverted Thinking at play. According to Ej-Arendee, the Te in INTJs sees the logic in the outer world. Put concrete they don't have to think thoughts in their head to reach a conclusion. That's more Introverted Thinking style. As such they are more visionary and pragmatic than they are actual deep thinking scientists. For instance did a pragmatist say something along: "Faith is rational if it makes life better than it would be without." The practicality (Te) of one's values can therefore clearly be noted here. Now, what does all this have to do with this topic? We have seen that Ni has an open-minded interest in the possibility that God may exist. As such, it's no surprise to find INTJs who may be spiritual. But this is only Ni on it's own accord. Adding Te to the picture, an INTJ will begin to seek Closure. They will judge the arguments whether they stand to reason or not. But as noted before, it depends on if the person sees the logic in the argument. Te will check if the argument is in accordance with the values of Fi and the worldview Ni has created. Two INTJs may look at the same argument but see two different "logics" in it. Whether they dismiss god or accept his existence therefore highly depends on their own, unique, Fi take on the world. But even if Te seeks closure, there will always be a thug of war with the possibilities of the intuitive functions. For this reason, an INTJ is rarely an extreme atheist or theist. Meaning the word "religious" would be too strong to call even a theistic INTJ. I would say that for the most part, INTJs fall into the Agnostic category. But depending on their Fi-take they can move a step or 2 towards right (theism) or towards left (atheism). As for me, if we assume that 5 means agnosticism and 10 means religious, I'd put myself either on a 6 or 7. I like to believe in the existence of a God rather than not. But I'll always be open minded to people who has another take on that than I do. Unfortunately, that of course is rarely reciprocated. Which is sad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's true that INTJs tend to be logical, seeing they have Extroverted Thinking as their Auxiliary function. But it's important to note that the dominant function is Introverted Intuition. As such, their Te is only a slave to their more irrational function. Ni, based on my understanding, takes an interest in the mysterious. The world that is excluded from what can be observed by senses alone. At least I take an interest in the mysterious, spiritual and metaphysical. This is the open mindedness of Ni in difference from the close mindedness of Te. Ni doesn't seek closure and thanks to its irrational nature it doesn't dismiss beliefs or values that are different from its own. This is what allows INTJs for instance to be atheistic and still understand theistic people or vice versa. Ni does not judge the values of others, it seeks to understand. And to understand the otherworldly is just as good, if not even better, than to understand the mundane. As such I find INTJs to be more philosophical and insightful than they are given credit for. But the INTJ is unfortunately often wrongfully stereotyped as hard natural Scientists who dismiss everything that cannot be scientifically explained. That's an over reliance on Te. Because this very stereotype neglects what it means to have Introverted Intuition as a dominant function. But I suppose a Te subtype could healthily be this way.

Continuing, I'd say that an often overlooked characteristic of the INTJ personality type is their preference for intuition or "Gut feelings" over pondering for hours at end to reach a logical conclusion. At least in my case, I only think once I'm confronted by a problem. And even then I don't "think" the way it's normally defined. This is Extroverted Thinking at play. According to Ej-Arendee, the Te in INTJs sees the logic in the outer world. Put concrete they don't have to think thoughts in their head to reach a conclusion. That's more Introverted Thinking style. As such they are more visionary and pragmatic than they are actual deep thinking scientists. For instance did a pragmatist say something along: "Faith is rational if it makes life better than it would be without." The practicality (Te) of one's values can therefore clearly be noted here. Now, what does all this have to do with this topic? We have seen that Ni has an open-minded interest in the possibility that God may exist. As such, it's no surprise to find INTJs who may be spiritual. But this is only Ni on it's own accord. Adding Te to the picture, an INTJ will begin to seek Closure. They will judge the arguments whether they stand to reason or not. But as noted before, it depends on if the person sees the logic in the argument. Te will check if the argument is in accordance with the values of Fi and the worldview Ni has created. Two INTJs may look at the same argument but see two different "logics" in it. Whether they dismiss god or accept his existence therefore highly depends on their own, unique, Fi take on the world. But even if Te seeks closure, there will always be a thug of war with the possibilities of the intuitive functions. For this reason, an INTJ is rarely an extreme atheist or theist. Meaning the word "religious" would be too strong to call even a theistic INTJ. I would say that for the most part, INTJs fall into the Agnostic category. But depending on their Fi-take they can move a step or 2 towards right (theism) or towards left (atheism). As for me, if we assume that 5 means agnosticism and 10 means religious, I'd put myself either on a 6 or 7. I like to believe in the existence of a God rather than not. But I'll always be open minded to people who has another take on that than I do. Unfortunately, that of course is rarely reciprocated. Which is sad.
Where are the replies? Uups INTJ likely most Introvert of all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts