Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
download (28).jpg
can you do the nietzsche stare?,according to this pic you can seeing a very peircing will,his willpower looks very sharp in this pick ,as if it would perice you like a sword.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Heh.

Yeah, we used to have this famous literary critic in grad school, I think she was part of the English faculty -- I think on more than one occasion I was just socializing, I don't know standing around in a circle chatting between classes and something like "Did you notice how when she gets that stare in her eyes, like she's peering into the infinite beyond, while talking about ____." I can't remember, but, at least among academics, there were quite a few people who had some odd ways of looking when they were "in the grip" of some idea or other.

Can I do the Nietzsche stare? Well, I hope you're not referring to the later photographs with that horrible sister of his, but, sure, I could.

In fact, I think it was over Thanksgiving, someone really ticked me off -- not serious, but I think I made my point with no words.

No, I don't like to do it, not because I'm afraid of confrontation -- actually, kind of the opposite (sometimes it has to be done!) -- but it takes a lot of energy to focus in that way.

More generally, my most odd eye-contact habits probably tend to me not wearing eyeglasses most of the time and just kind of, you know, you're thinking about something and then you forget you're next in line at the library or something:

"Huh? Oh, wait, what. Yeah, sure, here you go! You bet, you too! I know! Gonna be cold all week I hear! All right, you too!"

Kind of a mild retardation, I guess.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh.

Yeah, we used to have this famous literary critic in grad school, I think she was part of the English faculty -- I think on more than one occasion I was just socializing, I don't know standing around in a circle chatting between classes and something like "Did you notice how when she gets that stare in her eyes, like she's peering into the infinite beyond, while talking about ____." I can't remember, but, at least among academics, there were quite a few people who had some odd ways of looking when they were "in the grip" of some idea or other.

Can I do the Nietzsche stare? Well, I hope you're not referring to the later photographs with that horrible sister of his, but, sure, I could.

In fact, I think it was over Thanksgiving, someone really ticked me off -- not serious, but I think I made my point with no words.

No, I don't like to do it, not because I'm afraid of confrontation -- actually, kind of the opposite (sometimes it has to be done!) -- but it takes a lot of energy to focus in that way.

More generally, my most odd eye-contact habits probably tend to me not wearing eyeglasses most of the time and just kind of, you know, you're thinking about something and then you forget you're next in line at the library or something:

"Huh? Oh, wait, what. Yeah, sure, here you go! You bet, you too! I know! Gonna be cold all week I hear! All right, you too!"

Kind of a mild retardation, I guess.
lol nice man...keep up that stare

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
lol nice man...keep up that stare
I don't think you want it.

And, no, I don't think I could do "the stare" unless I was really, truly, thinking and feeling about something pretty deeply. Yeah, I spent some time on stage in high school, but I was never an actor, I just liked screwing around, smoking weed with the jackass arty types and finding funny ways to be sort of outrageous on the stage.

Maybe a real actor could do it -- I bet you anything Peter Falk could pull it off.

But, no, there's two kinds of stares I have in my unconscious repertoire: (i) I'm lecturing informally about some point, I'll usually make some kind of deliberate, modest gesture with one or both hands, and, while taking advantage of the rhythm in my speech, compose my next sentence by staring intensely at some imaginary point nowhere in particular. I have no idea what that would look like to some square apple, but probably pretty intimidating, or very focused, I guess.

(ii) Exasperation, not wanting to waste words, direct eye contact while saying a few words orthogonal to what I'm really thinking. Meant to express the kind of contempt that would probably get me arrested if I said it in words.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you want it.

And, no, I don't think I could do "the stare" unless I was really, truly, thinking and feeling about something pretty deeply. Yeah, I spent some time on stage in high school, but I was never an actor, I just liked screwing around, smoking weed with the jackass arty types and finding funny ways to be sort of outrageous on the stage.

Maybe a real actor could do it -- I bet you anything Peter Falk could pull it off.

But, no, there's two kinds of stares I have in my unconscious repertoire: (i) I'm lecturing informally about some point, I'll usually make some kind of deliberate, modest gesture with one or both hands, and, while taking advantage of the rhythm in my speech, compose my next sentence by staring intensely at some imaginary point nowhere in particular. I have no idea what that would look like to some square apple, but probably pretty intimidating, or very focused, I guess.

(ii) Exasperation, not wanting to waste words, direct eye contact while saying a few words orthogonal to what I'm really thinking. Meant to express the kind of contempt that would probably get me arrested if I said it in words.
i bet thats hella....stuff

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Oh, I did see the picture, now. Yes, that's a look I'm familiar with, but to my knowledge that's not part of my repertoire.

You'd have to ask one of the psychologists here, but am I not seeing the "omega sign," sort of a confusion in the brow, combined with the steely gaze?

It doesn't seem like the "Nietzsche gaze into the beyond" I was thinking of, the picture more reminds me of someone who is both confused, overwhelmed, and only partly certain.

Of course, those feelings I'm very familiar with, I'm not ashamed to say, but I've always had the habit of composing my face in a way that, in my mind at least, sort of encourages me (maybe) to get back to planet Earth.

OK, this is my neutral stare, just thinking about nothing: 2017-12-25-011714.jpg

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
i bet thats hella....stuff
Yeah, laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy!

I bet I can come up with a good thousand-yard stare that would scare you.

You know what, though, I have a feeling some of the INTJ women here could come up with something better.

No, they don't scare me, but a lot of these brilliant, articulate women have quite a bit more frankness, verbally, than I usually care to get into, not to mention having a wit that almost always makes my crude jokes and insults look sick by comparison.

I have no doubt they could put some school in you.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy!

I bet I can come up with a good thousand-yard stare that would scare you.

You know what, though, I have a feeling some of the INTJ women here could come up with something better.

No, they don't scare me, but a lot of these brilliant, articulate women have quite a bit more frankness, verbally, than I usually care to get into, not to mention having a wit that almost always makes my crude jokes and insults look sick by comparison.

I have no doubt they could put some school in you.
lol.id like to see you starring at me across a large feild.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I did see the picture, now. Yes, that's a look I'm familiar with, but to my knowledge that's not part of my repertoire.

You'd have to ask one of the psychologists here, but am I not seeing the "omega sign," sort of a confusion in the brow, combined with the steely gaze?

It doesn't seem like the "Nietzsche gaze into the beyond" I was thinking of, the picture more reminds me of someone who is both confused, overwhelmed, and only partly certain.

Of course, those feelings I'm very familiar with, I'm not ashamed to say, but I've always had the habit of composing my face in a way that, in my mind at least, sort of encourages me (maybe) to get back to planet Earth.

OK, this is my neutral stare, just thinking about nothing: View attachment 751945
i like the stare.i give a 6 out of 10 tho.because the stare is great in terms of emotionlessness.but it doesnt realy convey the intensity and willpower,that the nietzsche pick does.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
When I was little or when I'm focusing, I can do it. In public, I usually try to add more expressions in my face.

That being said, I can definitely get the stare when I'm sick (i.e. right now).

Reactions: naren

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was little or when I'm focusing, I can do it. In public, I usually try to add more expressions in my face.

That being said, I can definitely get the stare when I'm sick (i.e. right now).
could you send a pic while you doing the'stare''?

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
i like the stare.i give a 6 out of 10 tho.because the stare is great in terms of emotionlessness.but it doesnt realy convey the intensity and willpower,that the nietzsche pick does.
Well, yeah, that's just the normal. Not even a stare, really. Maybe mom was right and my eyes did get stuck in that position when I was making faces as a kid.

I still think the omega sign knot in Nietzsche's brow undercuts his intensity.

But, yes, I agree with you -- more pictures are needed, a sort of gallery of intensity.

I'd suggest that only one real rule be made: you can't shoot the photograph from above, cause that makes anyone look kind of scary. Just from straight ahead (or as close as you can get with a phone/webcam/whatever).

It's really hard to make a selfie trying to stare -- for one, it's distracting thinking about trying to "hit your mark" for the camera, and there's the whole button-pushing. IMHO to really be staring, you have to be thinking about something, which is hard to do when fucking around with some gadget.

I don't know, I don't know how to make pictures with cameras.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
"Did you notice how when she gets that stare in her eyes, like she's peering into the infinite beyond, while talking about ____." I can't remember, but, at least among academics, there were quite a few people who had some odd ways of looking when they were "in the grip" of some idea or other.
People tell me I look like a "deer in headlights" when I'm in that state.
:blushed:

Reactions: naren and jtour

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
People tell me I look like a "deer in headlights" when I'm in that state.
:blushed:
Heh. Yeah, I remember exactly once being told "you had that deer in the headlights look" -- I'd been up all night boozing it up with my good friend, the Colombian maintenance guy, up at the condo clubhouse.

So the property manager comes in to her office at, I don't know, like 8 in the morning, and me and Al were just kind of sprawled out on some chairs, not feeling real bright, but not shitfaced whooping and hollering.

Only time someone said that to me. Nice gal -- she even gave me a lift to the light rail station, completely unasked or unbidden. I forgot what I had to do that day, either work or school, but definitely one of those days when I'm glad to always be wearing my "uniform" of regular clothes, so as to not be mistaken for a degenerate wino (at first glance!)

I guess that means I sort of don't understand the expression -- maybe kind of just a blank, neutral expression, eyes wide open, not too focused on anything, just kind of...there, I guess.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
I have almond / upturned shaped eyes. (Fried's are very round / "alert" eyes). At most; I reckon "intense" looks differ, and is likely amplified with wide / round eyes. And of course, I have no mustache.

But, maybe. I do not look at myself often when "engaging," things / other humanoids & do not think about that stuff, thus can only go by reactions. My eyes are (wider) when engaging people, working on cetain tasks, or anything that substantially requires mental-effort (&) I often forget "when" to ease-up on the eye-contact, & have to manually remind myself, I do notice some specimens get weird in conversation(s) with myself -- assuming they stick around, since I usually have an unfiltered / non-secrative way of discussing things and this need to stare. (SO)-instinct invariant side-effect. Not sure if it is a nietzsche look, I think his profound & overgrown & lowered bushy brow-ridge adds more to his stare overall than his eyes; he looks rather soft / easy on the eyes for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts