Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know we have a nasty rep: cold, arrogant bastards who hates people. But really, do you find people impressive? Loveable? Stupid? Mediocre? I don't remember having been impressed by many people, but those who do, knock me out cold. I get interested about them, and turns out, they're just like everybody else. I can count four people to date, after I have grown enough to see the world as it truly is, who really impressed me. They're people of extraordinary emotional capacity, intellect and integrity.

Counting so far: INTJ, INTJ, INFP, INFJ

Reactions: prsvrnc

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh yes. A truly wise, intelligent and knowledgeable person is someone I will let into my inner sanctum. Too bad I've only found 1 up to this moment that I really know well.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Lots of people impress me, like people who rise above their circumstances to make a better life for themselves or who stand up for themselves or others despite great potential for physical or emotional harm.

Extreme intelligence without an equally extreme capacity for compassion is worthless and not worthy of adulation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For me so far its been ENTJ and iNTJ. I'm amazed at how they can be so abstract, in the way they think, coupled with being so structured and methodical. An NF's mind is all over, but an INTJ is just so straight and yet so mysterious.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,384 Posts
I can find aspects of people that I truly admire. I used to go looking for them (good traits) but that got boring as you have to sift through so much shit sometimes to find it.

I seem to have mostly extrovert friends IRL and I admire my ENTJ friend's good parental heart towards his minions (us all) and superb organising skills. If you invite him to a party 3 months before he will know if he can attend or whether he has other plans. I admire my ESFP friend for just going into a room and lighting it up with ease. She can say the most mundane shit and still make it worth listening to. I admire my INFP friend by the way she always has a sweet smile on her face and something profound to say. I admire my INFJ friend because he always makes an effort to show that he cares. His gentleness and generosity of spirit is endless. INTJ friend I admire because we can talk about 3 years worth of gossip and condense it to 10 minutes so we may talk about more interesting things like how stuff theoretically works. His knowledge base is awesome and we constantly are surprised by each other in our ability to skip forward several steps in a conversation to save time.

I cultivate people over years as friends and I'm impressed by all of them for their certain "super power" apsects. The only reason I cultivate them is because I can see integrity is there. I have realistic expectations and I don't usually get knocked out cold by people but I can appreciate people for what they are.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When people impress me, they blow me away.

There's the INTJ teacher I mentioned; he taught me SO much in so little time, and got me so interested in the subject, it was simply amazing. He has a particularly magnetic personality; you should hear how many people who has him gush about him outside of class. In the words of a particularly shallow, but intelligent classmate: "He's the best thing that ever happened to me". Yes. He got even this grade grubber excited about what we're learning. It's being empathetic, erudite and brutally honest.

There's the INTJ friend I met over the summer. He was so smart, so funny, so compassionate... This probably SHOULDN'T impress me, but what I consider as a prerequisite for an intelligent friendship is so rare. One day, he came up to me and told me: "Hey, let's take a walk this afternoon" "Oh? What's up?" "I want a conversation." "About?" "Whatever. Just want to talk about something intelligent." He was like a big brother to me, and his laser sharp insights and brutal honesty are incredibly refreshing.

That's usually how people impress me.

·
Banned
235 Posts
WHAT IMPRESSES ME:

1. being extremely good at something. I dont even care what it is.
2. being knowledgable on whats going on in the world
3. not being a prissy girl. If you're NOT a prissy girl, chances are ill like you simply because of that. :happy:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I find characteristics of people to be admirable but I am rarely impressed. At the end of the day, that person still takes a shit in a toilet so I can't see anything to be intimidated or impressed about. That's cool that you invented a high-energy or "hard" X-ray laser light... Now how fucking good are you at beer pong?

A man with a gun doesn't impress me. A man with a gun who could kill zombies impresses me! :tongue:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very rarely am I impressed. If I am, it's almost always by other Intuitives, and it's often times another INTJ. I have met an ENFP who never ceased to impress me, however.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
My father impresses me. He's a retired engineer, and is very logical, rational, and patient. He is a fantastic parent, grandparent, and role model. He has always respected me and my strange ways, and understands me. I'm not sure what his type is, but I believe he is an INTJ. He provides balance to our family (my mother is VERY emotional and dramatic).

There were things that impressed me about the anatomy & physiology II professor I had last semester, at least with regards to how she handled lab work and the extent of her knowledge. I didn't like the way she handled the lecture component of the class, though - she was very unorganized and inconsistent.

Reactions: PseudoSenator

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Very few people impress me. I have however, learned to lower my expectations so that people from time to time can surprise me. It's not the same thing as being impressed but it will have to do until the real thing comes along.

I came very close this summer though. I was training my replacement at a co-op term and the next day I saw this wonderful code on his IDE for this thing we were programming. I complimented him but he said it was an example he downloaded from somewhere. I withdrew my impress but he said he didn't want it anyway.

This kid is gonna go places. :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm impressed by great minds, strong opinions, and unique perspectives. I am somewhat of a humanist in that I believe everyone has worth but reserve my idolatry for intellectuals. I'm usually not impressed by people though, I just have tremendous respect for them... This distinction comes partly from my own abilities and arrogance.

Iconoclasts, people with the strength to be individuals, people who take on special interests,etc. all are worthy of admiration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts