Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was talking to a friend this evening and it came up that most of my behavior is an act. I consider myself far more mature than the average college student, but that is definitely not reflected in my behavior. Oftentimes I play the fool, or I am the clown among my group of friends just to provide some comic relief. I feel like this is a way that I deal with the actual immaturity of others. I'm just wondering, any other INTJs do anything like this? Do you put on on act to be more accepted? Do you feel like you are faking yourself often? Please share.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yes, i am an isfp, i think everyone does this, its not really a matter of personality type..just maturity level

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Not so much anymore but I used to in high school. I pretended that I was an airhead for three years and then graduated first in my class.

It's something I would do over if I could do it all again.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,254 Posts
Yes, but I feel like everyone does this to some extent.

In high school it actually caused me huge grief. I couldn't express myself or my intelligence, so I acted eccentric or silly.

Now I've learned, when all else fails, whip out that Te.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Not an INTJ, but I do.

As I see it, you've got 2 choices:

Be yourself --> possibly put people off --> have to damage-control and deal with butthurt people.

or

smile and nod --> people are content and won't fuck up your opportunitiies --> walk away and be yourself elsewhere.

Not a hard decision to make, IMO.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Everyone acts a little, just because it's not worth picking over the little things so sometimes we let things slide. It's up to you where you draw the line and which part of yourself you allow yourself to expose or not.

Reactions: Aaron Boal

·
Registered
782 Posts
I do 'act' when dealing with customers at work but normally I just be myself. Sitting in the corner reading a book until the buzzer goes off. Just think of me as a nicer version of Dylan Moran's character from Black Books.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Ok, so I was talking to a friend this evening and it came up that most of my behavior is an act. I consider myself far more mature than the average college student, but that is definitely not reflected in my behavior. Oftentimes I play the fool, or I am the clown among my group of friends just to provide some comic relief. I feel like this is a way that I deal with the actual immaturity of others. I'm just wondering, any other INTJs do anything like this? Do you put on on act to be more accepted? Do you feel like you are faking yourself often? Please share.
No, I rarely ever do this. Why bother, it costs too much energy and isn't going to help. Plus (I feel) it's lying to yourself and everyone around you. Lying to friends is even worse.

Someone else mentioned "acting" around people like customers. Putting on a polite face is a little different, I think, if they're leaving forever in 10 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts