Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I must admit I'm guilty of this problem..I often try to push my feelings away or dismiss them because I don't understand them and they have the potential to mess with your head. I don't remember the last time I gave in to my feelings(probably as a very young child..if at all) I was wondering if other INTJs did the same thing..

Reactions: ImNoTJustletters

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I find them especially hard when you get caught in the Möbius strip that is the Ni + Fi loop.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...

Years ago, yes I would do this and suppress my emotions but that has changed a bit in the past year as I try to get a better grip on which emotions I'm feeling at any point and why that should matter in a sense. I'm not trying to decide based on emotion, but just get the idea of, "Hey is my subconscious trying to tell me something?" kind of thing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well I must admit I'm guilty of this problem..I often try to push my feelings away or dismiss them because I don't understand them and they have the potential to mess with your head. I don't remember the last time I gave in to my feelings(probably as a very young child..if at all) I was wondering if other INTJs did the same thing..
if they are feelings that make me feel bad, then i might let myself feel the 'feelings/emotions' for a while, (for instance crying can be very good for you as it has been proved that it diminishes stress chemicals being produced in your brain) but then i try to rationalise them (rather than push them away or suppress them altogether) and then deal logically rather emotionally with the problem/situation/thing/person that is making the feeling happen

if they are feelings that make me feel good, i probably rationalise them less, but i still do it since just because something makes you feel good, it doesnt automatically follow that what is making you feel good is actually good for you, esp in the long run, but conversely if it feels good AND its good for you, then its a good idea to rationalise it ie what exactly makes the good feeling, how can you replicate it in future, etc etc

i came to the conclusion a while back that feelings are just a byproduct of hormones anyway

even love is just what we 'feel' when we get a big rush of the hormone oxytoxin (the cuddle chemical /love drug) in our system - its most commonly produced when our skin is touched and is what makes many people feel all 'loved up and a bit high' after sex, makes mothers and babies bond, makes soldiers want to kill to protect their buddies, makes people like petting dogs, cats etc

any woman will tell you that her hormones affect how she 'feels', and i guess that applies to men too although you are probably less prone to the same fluctuations

our feelings, even love, can cause us to do things that are both bad and good for us and those around us, but i dont think its a good idea to ignore our feelings - they are what makes us human after all - its a better idea imho just to understand them before we act on them, in case we later have cause to regret

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No. They are simply gone for me, I barely feel a thing. Very occasionally, a bit of anger, or some compassion. Otherwise, almost nothing. I'm more curious how I could get them back :happy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first time on this forum and i find this very interesting, all of the thoughts from other random people. I have to say me personaly i seem to not show emotion in front of others, I act the same as always, and that same as always emotion is a care free relaxed person. I feel its unecessary to show emotion in front of others, unless for a specific reason, and that reason could be anything pending on your own personal experience with things, or other people like some one from the opposite sex. But aside form that its not like its going to change anything, either it be sad or depressed around other's, to happy and energetic. Just enjoy your time in life. Not being able to feel emotion or pushing them away is not the best thing to do I would say. It's going to be there either way no matter what. Just deal with them all accordingly. I like ariana20
thought's and idea's, rationalise any situation and or emotion and just deal with your own emotion. Not like it's going to hurt you in anyway. Whats the point in living a life with out emotion's? With out them your just like a robot doing what ever and I cant see how life would be fun or interesting with out them. What drives you to do things in life and makes you want to accomplish a goal in life? I'm sure an emotion is behind the reason or cause. Ex. I love the universe and all the posssiblity's and have a passion for it, many emotion's back it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would change mine, if that was possible. I seem to question my feeling alot lately, is this right or is that right? its nuts

Reactions: pajamiez

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I try to understand where they come from. Usually I'm like: "I feel this because of this and that." Then they go away by them selves.

By the way, I'm assuming you were talking about the bad kind of feelings. The good feelings can stick around for a while. But also not too long because there's not much use in just feeling good for a long time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes. When I was younger, I researched psychopaths for an exceedingly long period of time to try and work out the 'secret'.
Unfortunately for me, I can't change biology. Emotions have always been a negative influence, and a burden. They don't exist in my perfect reality.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I don't try to make them go away, I try to make it so that they impact me less or not at all. Feelings can be a good backseat driver, but they should never be behind the wheel or inputting information into the GPS so to speak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To be quite frank ladies and gentlemen , constantly at this precise moment I am in the process of developing a cure for disease which is quite common among my INTJ siblings it is called "Love" it has some significant symptoms that are identical to OCD in some way of things . :happy:

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,383 Posts
Yes I do.... for the sake of balance and movement. If they don't make sense I retrace my steps until they do. Feelings without sense behind them are unknown entities waiting for you to reach a plain of new psychosis....they restrict everything.

This is not to say that I don't have feelings. I just pour them into a place where they logically belong.....it is all about choice after all.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
jbking has a good point...it's better to deal with them, which luckily we can.

I find it's better to let myself feel things and deal with them as I go along rather than bottling them up, putting them off, etc. until I can process them logically....

Which is not to say I don;t prefer bethdeth's method, just that it gets less easy each year.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I analyse them first - I may push them aside if I am concentrating on something more important, but I will analyse them when I have the opportunity. And the ones I find useless, irrational, or dysfunctional: I generally squash those like a bug.
Most of the time it's not at all hard. Occasionally it really is.

·
Registered
652 Posts
No. They are simply gone for me, I barely feel a thing. Very occasionally, a bit of anger, or some compassion. Otherwise, almost nothing. I'm more curious how I could get them back :happy:
i'm not suggesting you're depressed, but when i was (several years ago now i'm all better now:laughing:), i kind of went emotionally numb, i wasnt even sad, i just couldnt feel, but again it was really nothing more than a hormone thing, that's why serotonin is used to treat depression and women get post natal depression (amongst other reasons)

again it brings me back to the conclusion that its all hormone related, and some of us must naturally have different levels than others i guess

hormones, like the oxytocin i mentioned which can be released in huge amounts simply by petting animals or cuddling people/babies or being hugged, can go up and down radically depending on the situations we find ourselves in, perhaps you could set out to make your life situations a bit more dramatic or exhilarating or scary or fun maybe eg exercise releases endorphins that create a feeling of euphoria - you just need to pep things up a bit and expose yourself to more extreme situations if only to reassure yourself that you aren't dead :crazy: but the best feeling is to feel happy, so if you can manage that one at least a couple ot times a day, even for just a little while, i reckon the rest will come

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, whenever my feelings get too strong, I try to get rid of them. When I'm feeling negative emotions, I always analyze them and ask, "why am I feeling sad/depressed/angry/stressed/etc.? Oh, it's because I screwed up that test/it's been cloudy for a week and I'm not getting enough Vitamin D/I have PMS/etc." And then I go on my merry way, having proven to myself that said feelings are useless and irrelevant, and the feelings usually go away. When I was depressed, I would often pull myself through by telling myself, "this is a physiological phenomenon caused by hormonal imbalances in my brain and insufficient Vitamin D." It didn't always make the depressed feelings go away, but looking at them rationally made them much easier to deal with.

Reactions: ariana20

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, I really wish that they would all go away.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts