Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seriously, if people aren't listening to me from the beginning, they don't deserve a repetition. It's that simple. I just feel like I need that amount of respect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I really need to push myself to repeat, it is like if request is made for me to speak loudly, same kind of torturing and I would rather leave the scene.

However it would leave problem open, it would not built towards completion of solution to problem, where I then find energy to do the repeat, but not many times.

Quite often though if there is more than 1 person having discussion, what I say is completely ignored, but usually that is because persons have some kind of emotional flow in discussion, which I cannot pick up, that is what conclusion I have found to be most likely at least. For me discussion is subject, data, expressed, analyzed, compared, challenged, evaluated, but what I have read about other personality types, it might be their discussion is more about feeding each others emotions, rather than exchanging data.

Sadly I have no information of which type others might of been.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
People have crappy short term memory, bad hearing (hitting the clubs too much?), selective hearing, or just aren't paying any attention. It bugs me when they're physically present, but their mind is elsewhere. Generally, I'm not too bothered if we're in groups where discussions can get flowing so rapidly that it's easy not to catch anything, but if it's private (especially if it's important) then they're testing my patience.
Funny story about that. I knew a girl who said the exact same thing. She was always like, "UGH. I HATE it when people aren't paying attention when I'm speaking. Pay attention the first time so I don't have to repeat myself." Which would be fair if I were on my phone when she was talking or not paying attention when I should be. EXCEPT she had the habit of talking while I was working. She sat at the cubicle next to me and WHILE I WAS WORKING would say something (usually inconsequential or a bit of gossip about the boy she was currently seeing, which I don't give a shit about to begin with, but generally would be nice enough to play along and listen to her if I wasn't working), and then get pissed at me for not paying attention. I'm sure that's not what you mean, but it's just what it reminded me of. *Shudder

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I understand that I might need to repeat myself if I'm expressing the same idea to multiple people, but when I have to hear people say "huh?" or "do what?" one too many times, it makes me feel like people aren't listening to me. Like they won't even humor me even when I have a good idea that might make everyone's job or life a bit easier. And when I say "easier," I mean "more ergonomically feasible, stable, adaptable, liberated, and/or enlightened.".
Thank you for this explanation. I dont think i would have guessed that. This will be helpful in the future i think. Ive noticed an INTJ get upset explaining something (rather than repeating) and I think it was because they figured people should make the connection without having to be told... do you find this to be the case? Its easy to think that people should process information in the same way that we do... or that they arent trying when in fact the process just takes longer for some types than others.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
OMGosh, yes they do, haha!! Te/Fi for sure. NFP's also hate repeating themselves. Between listening to people stating the obvious, or having to repeat ourselves, not sure what is worse. I know INTJ absolutely hate both, it drives them nuts.

Reactions: ninjahitsawall

·
Banned
660 Posts
I found this really interesting because the INTJ's I know are actually quite okay with repeating themselves, until maybe the 3rd/4th time, which I do not do often. In my experience you speak too softly, unless you are telling me a secret speak up or sit a bit closer. Also I do not know if it's just my INTJ friends but they both have a bad habit of interrupting me while I am speaking. XD

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
After the second time, yes. At that point it seems like repeating myself isn't going to accomplish anything. Instead it'd make more sense to ask me to clarify or something, which wouldn't bother me as much. Lol I've actually been slightly annoyed at spelling bees, when the kid would be like "can you say the word again? Can you read the definition again?" How does that help you spell? Is there a spelling genius skill there that I'm lacking? Never worked for me.

Anyway, it bugs me more when someone fills in the blanks of what I say with their own misconceptions/projections. They come back later on, and it's usually in an annoying way (with more passive-aggressive people, it's as if they were holding something against me for a long time that never existed, i.e., "but you said X, thus implying Y, and it was such a dick move..." :idunno:)

Reactions: bridmaga

·
Registered
623 Posts
Depends on their intentions, if they didnt make effort to hear me when i talk, they need to be educated. If they look at me or at least listen attentively then I'll have no problem repeating.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I found this really interesting because the INTJ's I know are actually quite okay with repeating themselves, until maybe the 3rd/4th time, which I do not do often. In my experience you speak too softly, unless you are telling me a secret speak up or sit a bit closer. Also I do not know if it's just my INTJ friends but they both have a bad habit of interrupting me while I am speaking. XD
I've definitely found myself interrupting people...usually for 3 reasons:
-they are not making sense or are using the same argument that I have just debunked
-I complete their thought with/for them (this is a bad habit I need to fix)
-they are taking way too long to finish their thought and time is precious

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you for this explanation. I dont think i would have guessed that. This will be helpful in the future i think. Ive noticed an INTJ get upset explaining something (rather than repeating) and I think it was because they figured people should make the connection without having to be told... do you find this to be the case? Its easy to think that people should process information in the same way that we do... or that they arent trying when in fact the process just takes longer for some types than others.
I sometimes get upset having to explain things. I do expect people to make the connections quicker, but where i get upset is most people i know think they can make those connections(they cant) and expect me to talk to them as tho they do. But when i get frustrated, they get frustrated, so its a literal revolving door of frustration.

Reactions: Mendi the ISFJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
During the not-so-deep discussions, I find myself repeating stories or past experiences that I sometimes forget I already mentioned them to this person, and the other way sometimes when I make a reference to something I already mentioned but forgot to mention it to this person, I usually good at summarizing so it doesn't take very long.

But repeating the same shit to the same people at the same day is very frustrating.

·
Registered
955 Posts
yes. it forces me to acknowledge my own disinterest in -fill in blank- be it the other person, myself, the story im telling, the conversation im having. when i cant focus on whatever it is (or dont want to) i find myself repeating. i literally get tired of hearing my own voice. typing isnt nearly as bad but hell.

and, in case you mean the other type of repeating myself i.e. ppl who dont listen well/ask the same questions over and over, oddly it doesnt bother me as much as it used to. now im...patient? prudent? (petty?) enough to simply stop talking to them. i find that they end up regretting not listening the first time around far sooner than i end up mad they werent listening from the start. and that brings me enjoyment, dickish as that may sound.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Man, I am not sure why I hate repeating myself but I fucking HATE IT! I think it's mostly when I have to talk but don't feel like it and I think what I said was clear and concise and the fact that they make me repeat myself pisses me off. Or if I told someone something already and they forgot within 96 hours, that pisses me off, wasted time and energy explaining what I already said.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I hate repeating myself because I see it as a sign of incompetence in people. If this information is important to you why didn't you take notes the first time I told you?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't mind repeating myself that much, but what I can't stand is being told the same thing twice. I'm like, I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME!

No surprise: patience is not one of my virtues. :kitteh:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm always happy to re-explain a principle to someone because I know that principles are like seeds planted upon peoples minds. If their surface is poor and rocky the seed will grow a little and die, leaving the soil a little more fertile for the next seed. However, I can not stand having to repeat myself over little comments that don't matter because they didn't hear me or something. It's not worth the energy!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I am not much of a talker, and naturally i rarely talk. I mostly listens. And on those seldom occasions that i do talk i expect people to listen. And when they do not listen i get really annoyed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yes. It means they weren't listening to me in the first place. I also dislike people repeating things to me, because that's acting like I didn't hear them the first time.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts