Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not an INTJ but I cannot stand it when people ask me to repeat myself (especially if its a long tangental concept with loads of back context - omg! Kill me!), but that's mostly because they are not listening or treating my information with little respect. I spend a lot of time structuring and crafting my information to the communication style of the listener, and it takes enormous effort. I'd much rather just not speak to them if they aren't going to treat my thinking and expression with seriousness.

But also, :( The INTJs in my life hate when I ask them to repeat themselves, or when I forget something important they told me.

I have tried to work out why I do this, and it isn't that I don't care or don't listen intently. When people tell me things, the details or technical words don't matter so much as the overall concept. When people tell me things, I am so conditioned to them fluffing up their words that I look for the meaning behind their words. INTJs are so precise and deliberate with their words and we should just listen literally, but it's a very difficult habit to break.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I try to talk like I am talking to a 3-year old retarded kid. With very exact and precise formulations of every sentance I minimize the risk of people not understanding my point. I also very often end my talk with 'questions on that?'
There is never questions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My mother does that a lot. I say something and she always says "huh?" I thought about saying blah blah and then, when she asks "huh?" I would say the real thing.

Usually I get so angry and she just says she is old and didn't listen :/

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
No, not especially. I'm not often asked to repeat myself either. What I truly hate is hearing the same story or directions over and over again. I would rather repeat myself than be subjected to someone's rambling.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I hate repeating myself. I don't understand why the hell I should repeat a point I have already made.How about you?
Pretty sure everyone hates repeating themselves...it means the other person wasn't listening/paying attention or they didn't speak up clearly enough the first time

·
Registered
705 Posts
I saw this topic and laughed, because I'm always repeating myself with INTJs when it comes to things they didn't prioritize or immediately put in their mind-dump. AND I HATE IT.

·
Registered
INTJ
564 Posts
I hate any one repeating self, including myself, because this is an unnecessary gesture, and it delays me being efficient. For children or slow reactors, I will be patient, and put up a nice face to repeat myself for their benefits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont even bother, otherwise ill repeat myself in the most rude manner ever. I hate it so much its my pet peeve number 1, maybe.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't like repeating myself (hate is a strong word). If the reason I have to repeat myself is simply that the other person was too busy playing with their phone/looking at something more interesting/whatever rather than listen to my answer to their question, that annoys me a great deal. I have very low patience in this regard. Of course we can all miss something if we're in a public (read: loud) place, so it is situational.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Ive noticed an INTJ get upset explaining something (rather than repeating) and I think it was because they figured people should make the connection without having to be told. Do you find this to be the case?
Might be. Can't say for sure. Likely differs per individual, per scenario, per day, per mood (etc.). I always remind myself to factor in those variables. Do you like whipped cream and nutmeg on top of a latte? That was random. My inner ENFP is in control at the moment.

It's easy to think that people should process information in the same way that we do...or that they aren't trying when in fact the process just takes longer for some types than others.
I always try to remind myself of that too. What irks me is when someone tells me to do something, then someone else steps in and does it. Doesn't matter what the task is. Might require careful planning or might not. But I was the one given the task, so why do people feel the need to "steal my thunder," as they say?

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
I hate repeating myself. Having to do so multiple times to someone with terrible hearing is even worse and I'm likely to just avoid them in the future if talking to them is such a pain in that way...

61 - 80 of 87 Posts