Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I found this article:

htt:crazy:p://politicsandprosperity.wordpress.:crazy:com/2011/01/04/intelligence-personality-politics-and-happiness/

And realized, that we (INTJs) have a chance of 22% (almost 1/4) to be in the top 2% of people with highest IQ.
I already know that our type has the highest average IQ, but this data is even more interesting=)

What do you think about it?

P.S.: sorry if this thread already exists

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Isn't light the only thing that is both particles and a wave?

Because I can't think of a brick being a wave=)
yeap it is

according to the DeBroilge Wavelength

Wavelength = h(constant)/mv

A brick wall is just so massive and slow that it has a low momentum, hence the wavelength is huge and seems to be something continuous. But it is a wave...everything is:

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a political blog trying to explain to you why it's author and his political leaning are associated with a higher intelligence. What a poor self-serving joke.

The numbers aren't all representative, which the author admits himself. Neither the numbers of PerC nor of TNS are admissible, because they aren't representative (PerC is totally deviant from the population's distribution and TNS has only about a 1000 members who definitivly do not represent the upper 0,1-percentile in matters of intelligence). So the numbers are screwed and the author get's exactly zero points for having no clue about presenting solid statistics.

And about that right-wing-people-are-smarter-thing: A study conducted by Satoshi Kanazawa from the London School of Economics showed a correlation between intelligence and liberal (yes, the ugly word that many of you dislike so much) views on politics. (Article about it) Unsurprisingly this study has been contested and I don't mention it as proof, it's just to show you that other perspectives are very possible and that you shouldn't get too excited over some questionable numbers.

Of course it's possible that some types have on average higher IQs. But what is the conclusion?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
emm... didn't really get what you meant (what's PerC, TNS and the 1000 members smth)

And I also like liberal views

But, according to another study ( http:crazy:://www:crazy:.terra.:crazy:es/personal/asstib/articulos/perso/perso2.htm ) it also proves some of the information mentioned. Though it only deals with introverts, stating that they are 2.25 more introverted gifted children than extroverted.

A brick wall is just so massive and slow that it has a low momentum, hence the wavelength is huge and seems to be something continuous.
OK then, it wasn't so obvious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where was it written that people with high IQ's couldn't relate to "average people"? I'm both a Mensan and an INTJ and I believe the question was: since INTJ's have higher IQ's, what percentage of INTJ's are in Mensa? Yes, I'm intelligent, but I can neither paint, nor sing, nor dance, nor create art, nor throw a basketball or many other things. It's simply a talent and one that I would like to share with other like-minded people - just like others with different talents do as well. Most of these posts seem to imply I either must be a rocket scientist or I'm a snob. If artists or athletes or musicians gather, do we also suppose they are snobs to the rest of us non-talented folk?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought INTPs took the prize for highest average IQ and INTJs a close second? We shouldn't toot our own horn undeservedly.

What do they actually do in MENSA? Is there a purpose to the organization? Charitable work? Helping children with math homework and installing DVD players for the elderly?

·
Registered
224 Posts
And realized, that we (INTJs) have a chance of 22% (almost 1/4) to be in the top 2% of people with highest IQ.
I already know that our type has the highest average IQ, but this data is even more interesting=)
Wow, so statistically on this subforum more than one of the five users are in the top 2% of highest IQ in population. I'm so excited. :blushed:
I hope you guys can handle the expectations.

But seriously, IQ just measures an ability to solve IQ-tests. Some ways of thinking (cognitive functions) are more suitable for them than others.

The problem with IQ is where it becomes a measure to judge peoples' values. And in our culture it partially is. So from the side below it can trigger resentment and from the side above it can spoil your ego and transform you into special snowflake. Or special douche.
The other problem in popular culture is it's use as eristic argument: "Shut up, I have higher IQ, so what I said is correct". The most annoying thing is that actually many people appreciate that approach ( I've never watched a single episode of House M.D. ,but from what I know - it's one of main reasons why people like it).

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
The problem with IQ is where it becomes a measure to judge peoples' values. And in our culture it partially is. So from the side below it can trigger resentment and from the side above it can spoil your ego and transform you into special snowflake. Or special douche.
The other problem in popular culture is it's use as eristic argument: "Shut up, I have higher IQ, so what I said is correct". The most annoying thing is that actually many people appreciate that approach ( I've never watched a single episode of House M.D. ,but from what I know - it's one of main reasons why people like it).
Given that the vast majority of people have never taken a real, professionally administered IQ test (and thus have no known IQ) and know few, if any people who have taken one (thus knowing few or no IQ scores for comparison), why do you say this? Who does this?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Given that the vast majority of people have never taken a real, professionally administered IQ test (and thus have no known IQ) and know few, if any people who have taken one (thus knowing few or no IQ scores for comparison), why do you say this? Who does this?
I don't see connection between what you described in your observation and me saying what I said. Basically - where is contradiction ?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Isn't light the only thing that is both particles and a wave?

Because I can't think of a brick being a wave=)
all matter acts as both particles and waves. I could be wrong, but I think I remember learning the reason why it doesn't appear that macroscopic things like bricks aren't waves is because the wavelength is smaller for larger objects and bigger for smaller objects.. so the wavelength for brick is going to less than a nanometer, which is miniscule compared to size of brick, whereas a tiny particle like a photon is going to have a huge wavelength compared to size of particle (photons have radio wave wavelengths that can can range from millimeters to 100s of kms.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Recently I found this article:

htt:crazy:p://politicsandprosperity.wordpress.:crazy:com/2011/01/04/intelligence-personality-politics-and-happiness/

What do you think about it?

P.S.: sorry if this thread already exists
The interesting thing is that these statistics say nothing about your IQ. All it says is that if you take 100 INTJ's, 22 of them will be in the top 2%. But you could still be the dumbest INTJ that walks this planet.

You probably aren't, considering you know how to write, but you´re new here. You still are in the phase of being proud of your type and looking for the awesomest things you can find about your type.

This phase will pass :smile:

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I remember another thread I think on here about mensa a while back, I remember thinking it would just be a circle jerk for people lacking social skills .. and I came across some article a female journalist wrote from which it sounded like it pretty much lived up to my fears of not anything I'd want to be a part of... tho I shouldn't criticize since I don't have any experience w/ them, and if members enjoy being a part of it, well good for them, who am i to judge.

One thing somewhat related to smart-people clubs is I've imagined before how cool it would be if there was some sort of intelligent person's club of people covertly working to change the world like the mythical illuminati or such, that if you past some test or were intelligent enough you could somehow join.

There was mysterious computer cryptography puzzle online a few years ago Circada 3301, that awesomely seemed like it could be that sort of thing... or perhaps recruitment device for NSA or something.

I rather recently wasted a bunch of time online looking at the cryptic puzzle stuff

there's a video here of a guy who claims to have won it.

apparently the winners/solvers were brought to a onion chat type of site where they were given opportunity to work together on projects...aside from solving puzzles they had to answer questions to say that they were for free speech, free internet, minimal copyright laws etc. and the project they chose to work on was a deadman switch program or something like that ( i forget watched vid a while ago) but obviously that didn't go anywhere since there wasn't any cash insentive to waste their time and effort on such a project.... and in my opinion I didn't understand what was the point of them working in anonymity, if they're not doing anything illegal why not get a larger of potential contributors to work on such a project by just doing on the regular web instead through onion sites?

There's been a few circada puzzles since then and people aren't sure if it's them or not.

...not sure where, don't remember, but I came across something showing an email or such from guy who apparently started cicada's original puzzle, saying it was just a puzzle for the sake of making a puzzle and the whole onion meeting was more an afterthought, not knowing what to do w/ the solvers. That he did it in college and since has gone on to other things etc.

Looking at the current puzzles it seems like they're just games, puzzles for the sake of puzzles.. but it's weird they seem like they try to make them grandiose as if they're leading to some illuminati club or something.. and a lot of the people working on them seem delusional as if they think they're going to change the world by working on them... but they just seem like they're just going in circles solving puzzles after puzzle. My guess is the people making the puzzle just keeps making additional puzzles and it doesn't lead anywhere. It would be cool if there was some sort of illuminati or smart people club were we could solve some puzzles to join and help to change the world.. but I feel like any initiation type of club that's out there wouldn't end up being anything more than some weird circle jerk I wouldn't want to be a part of.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
:rolleyes:

I see; INTJ truly are the manifestation of the Dunning Krueger effect.

First, the nonsense meme that " INTJ replace emotion with logic." Which leads to " because I am INTJ I am the most logical-even when I am being an emotional reactionary resorting to personal insults over subjective, stupid arguments like " best girl" in a fictional setting. I said it, therefore:logic."

Now this IQ nonsense. IQ is about potential only. More often than not people who know they have a high IQ wont try, they wont learn. People who are tolled they are inherently talanted usually don't try. They don't feel like they have to because they are already better. Instead they stagnate while the rest of us poor untalanted fools put in the effort to learn.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
:rolleyes:

I see; INTJ truly are the manifestation of the Dunning Krueger effect.
Except the OP, basically every single INTJ in this thread criticized or at least put some considerations to the OP/article and the conclusion so what are you talking about?

First, the nonsense meme that " INTJ replace emotion with logic." Which leads to " because I am INTJ I am the most logical-even when I am being an emotional reactionary resorting to personal insults over subjective, stupid arguments like " best girl" in a fictional setting. I said it, therefore:logic."
Literally nobody is talking about that in this thread.

Now this IQ nonsense. IQ is about potential only. More often than not people who know they have a high IQ wont try, they wont learn. People who are tolled they are inherently talanted usually don't try. They don't feel like they have to because they are already better. Instead they stagnate while the rest of us poor untalanted fools put in the effort to learn.
If it's about potential as you say, then everything after "More often" in this post doesn't make any sense.

---

Like if you come into a thread like this guns blazing to make assumptions about INTJs at least check what the INTJs actually said and react to it instead of just spouting generalizations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts