Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me? I don't get excited about famous people at all. I can like a persons work, but I can't become a real fan. I once got to write a famous biologist and that's the most excited I ever got about a person and really I just thought it was cool to get to ask him quesstions about his work...

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I'm fascinated by the lives of historical figures, but I don't care modern famous people, unless it's Stephen Hawking maybe. . .

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Not really. I'm interested in them, and in how fame alters them (cf. Mel Gibson, etc). I'd be interested in seeing one or two, but most are obnoxious.
I mainly read about them to make sure they aren't leaving the biz.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can be interested in a person's story... but these are famous people like Bill Gates or Einstein, not like celebrities. I can be interested in celebrities work, too, but I certainly don't care about them on a personal level. Obsessing over a celebrity... it isn't fun, and it serves no purpose, so why do it?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
They are just another human, like anybody else, they are not that much more important because of their status. I don't care about people's status.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I just think INTJs probably generally don't have idols. The closest I've probably ever come is Courtney Love because I want to live inside of her voice and maybe make sweet sweet love to it.

As for celebrity gossip, I usually let people know I don't care even a little about that crap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Celebrity worship, bleh.

In one of the men's room at work, there's a pile of magazines... I find myself compelled to shuffle the People Magazine copies to the bottom of the stack so I don't even have to look at them, and more than once I've sent a copy straight to the bottom of the trash bin when the cover annoyed me sufficiently.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I could care less about celebrities. Most of them do absolutely nothing worthwhile to get the fame and fortune they have.

·
Banned
301 Posts
I don't really care about people's status, but a person's history can be interesting. Some people do have some pretty ridiculous past that I never thought to imagine. Also, I don't like the whole "All celebrities are worthless people" mindset either. That's just an ignorant, over-generalization, and superficial claim attempting to point out the flaws of others without trying looking past the surface.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't care much about celebrities. If I really, really like someone's work, I might Google them and read their Wikipedia page. I'm much more interested in historical figures, great writers and composers, etc.-- and that just because I'm interested by people and how their personalities and experiences shape their work. Celebrities are shallow and stupid; otherwise they wouldn't be celebrities.

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
347 Posts
I saw a Japanese Olympic gold medalist one day on the street in Tokyo. What struck me was that she was so short, but I did not even consider to (1) stop and stare or (2) ask for autograph. What is the point of signature?

Like others, I get jazzed by intellects, not pop culturalists. Being here in Japan, I have no idea who is who anymore in the States. When I go back and see the magazine covers at bookstores, I am elated at not recognizing anyone.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I don't care about celebrities--especially since most celebrities have that status despite lack of merit. However, I love listening to in-depth interviews or reading about people and am fascinated my their ideas and opinions...and sometimes life stories. This can usually be a more intellectually and comically-charged experience than reading about the sexual escapades of Hollywood losers. I enjoy getting past the superficial drivel and into the interesting stuff. Apart from literature, I find that Howard Stern and Jonathan Ross can conduct some great interviews. Anyway, I wouldn't become starstruck because of celebrities because most of the time they can't hold a candle to scholars and such.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw a Japanese Olympic gold medalist one day on the street in Tokyo. What struck me was that she was so short, but I did not even consider to (1) stop and stare or (2) ask for autograph. What is the point of signature?

Like others, I get jazzed by intellects, not pop culturalists. Being here in Japan, I have no idea who is who anymore in the States. When I go back and see the magazine covers at bookstores, I am elated at not recognizing anyone.
Yes, I am the same way when I run into famous people... I end up confused and trying to figure out why I think I've seen them before in my case sometimes.

My brother has met and been around a lot of famous people because of where he worked. He acts the same way as I do. Niether of us get or understand the whole starstruck deal.. I do find his strories about them amusing sometimes I admit :crazy:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Celebrity worship, bleh.

In one of the men's room at work, there's a pile of magazines... I find myself compelled to shuffle the People Magazine copies to the bottom of the stack so I don't even have to look at them, and more than once I've sent a copy straight to the bottom of the trash bin when the cover annoyed me sufficiently.

I have had a similar experience! Someone would leave magazines on my desk at work sometimes. Once someone left a tabliod and I threw it in the trash out of disgust. I think it had Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie on the cover. I like both Pitts and Jolies work and the tabloids in the supermarket ruin it. I get so sick of seeing and hearing about them... It's all gossip too(I hate gossip). Then people at my work got peeved at me when they found the TRASH in the trash. Oh well.:dry:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not really. I'm interested in them, and in how fame alters them (cf. Mel Gibson, etc). I'd be interested in seeing one or two...
That's me too. How they live, how unnatural it is etc., makes some of them quite interesting to observe*...to a point. I was quite sick of seeing Britney Spears and Amy Crackhouse's names everywhere at one time.

Otherwise, when I see celebrities and other famous people I don't go talk to them. Apart from not being interested, how annoying must it be to have fans...I almost feel sorry for them. Though there are a couple I would approach, because I love their work and would want to tell them so.

*...and how they react to all of it. Take this Twilight craziness, taken to a completely new level of lunacy by teenage hormones. I'm super glad I'm not one of those actors, especially the younger ones - they are still dealing with their own teen crap. So how they handle it, publicly at least, is interesting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts