Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTJ friend of mine was forced into entrepreneurship 18 months ago after a layoff, he and I are now working together on a project, and it's been interesting to watch.

I've got a ton of creative ideas that he can't believe I can come up with, except about maybe just 15-20% turn into something useful, although one of them has really taken off. He's far less creative, but has a strategy for things I can barely remember. For example, he got our client to do something publicly, knowing it would force our client's competitor to hire a group of consultants he believed would divert their attention from a new product where they should be focused. Whole thing has gone according to plan.

Moreover, he'll tell me I need to focus on one thing, and stop trying to do five things at once, and he's usually right. But at the same time, I can detect his plans a mile away, he can't fool me - I'll surprise him by telling him what he's trying to do. I think ENTPs have remarkably strong BS detectors.

I get credit for uncanny ideas and insights, he's seen as having uncanny strategies. Almost seems like we're operating according to MBTI theory. Just curious if others have had experiences like this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My husband is an ENTP and just sold his business. I'm an INTJ, but I wasn't a co-owner or anything; I have a day job. Anyway, I can only point things out from my perspective.

Whether it would be typical for his personality type, it seemed to me like my husband's biggest issue as a business owner was suffering from Ooo, shiny! He would go after new and awesome ideas, just as, to me, the old ideas were starting to bear fruit. He never had a great sales strategy, or great salespeople. He made the mistakes of hiring people he knew sometimes, which made it terrible to let them go when they weren't doing well.

Hope that's helpful.

Reactions: Trainwreck

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
You do realize that eventually you'll need an ESTJ...right? If not only for taxes. :shocked:
No you need an istj, the estj would try to take over.

Reactions: MNiS and Snowguard

·
Registered
749 Posts
My husband is an ENTP and just sold his business. I'm an INTJ, but I wasn't a co-owner or anything; I have a day job. Anyway, I can only point things out from my perspective.

Whether it would be typical for his personality type, it seemed to me like my husband's biggest issue as a business owner was suffering from Ooo, shiny! He would go after new and awesome ideas, just as, to me, the old ideas were starting to bear fruit. He never had a great sales strategy, or great salespeople. He made the mistakes of hiring people he knew sometimes, which made it terrible to let them go when they weren't doing well.

Hope that's helpful.
The shiny, where is it? Does your husband have it? May I see?????? :crazy:

·
Registered
287 Posts
You shouldn't see it so much as a versus situation, but one where you approch things from different angles. If things are running relatively smoothly and you don't completely rubbish each other, and you're making a profit, I'd say you've got a successful partnership.

Yes, Adam and Jamie are probably the most visible duo in this regard. I understand what it must be like for Jamie, surrounded by all those unfocused individuals, BUT, he can't deny the benefits gained from the situation.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Reactions: ShawFella

·
Registered
393 Posts
If Ne/Ni relationships are anything like Te/Ti relationships, it will definitely take a lot of maturity on both sides' part. One other problem with the combination is that it is fairly perceiving-heavy (both sides are N dominant). You guys will both probably have to make a conscious effort to use your T more effectively.

That said, I think it could prove a good combination if done correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts