Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me your Enneagram with wing if you know it. I´m collecting data for a paper I´m going to write on correlations between personality typologies.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That is huge help, thanks. Does it exist for other MBTI types as well?
I believe so. Just use the search function on here for 'official' or 'master' enneagram list for each type. Here's the ENTP one:
http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/95694-official-entp-enneagram-list-57.html

In case it's helpful, there are also studies looking at patterns between enneagram & mbti already around:
https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2016/01/mbti-and-the-enneagram-2/7/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am basing most of this on Heidi´s article. Thanks for the links. I tried searching for posts like this on this site but couldn´t find any

·
Banned
601 Posts
See signature. 541 tritype.

Reactions: Luminis

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I’m a 9er. I go back and forth on the wing but I think I’m likely a 9w1.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
Just some commentary - it's completely unsolicited and probably obvious, I know, but having worked with these two theories for so long I just feel like I have to at least mention it.

The "master list" of types is very likely off and in multiple ways. There is a sizable number of people on that list who wrote their enneagram type, subsequently changed, and the list shows an out of date typing. Some "INTJ" on the list subsequently typed as other MBTI types. There are mistypes, of both MBTI and enneagram on the list for various reasons, and with people of varying degrees of certainty of their type in either system.

In particular, my opinion (which comes from observation) is that the number of INTJ's who believe they are type 5 is overstated - both in numbers and stereotypically. Many of the true INTJ 5's also think they're 5's based on a test result for something they may have filled out online - so they may not yet know why they must be a 5 and not anything else. An interesting question, if you're surveying, may be to also pair each number with an additional question(s), "how long have you studied (each theory)" and/or "by what means did you arrive at your type?" The INTJ 5's who went through enneagram literature, I think, will tell a more keen story for the correlations than would those via questionnaire.

It's funny, because a lot of people think INTJ and 5 go together because of the whole intellect trope - when it's really the habit of withholding one's engagement, knowledge or resources out of fear of depletion that makes a 5 a 5.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just some commentary - it's completely unsolicited and probably obvious, I know, but having worked with these two theories for so long I just feel like I have to at least mention it.

The "master list" of types is very likely off and in multiple ways. There is a sizable number of people on that list who wrote their enneagram type, subsequently changed, and the list shows an out of date typing. Some "INTJ" on the list subsequently typed as other MBTI types. There are mistypes, of both MBTI and enneagram on the list for various reasons, and with people of varying degrees of certainty of their type in either system.

In particular, my opinion (which comes from observation) is that the number of INTJ's who believe they are type 5 is overstated - both in numbers and stereotypically. Many of the true INTJ 5's also think they're 5's based on a test result for something they may have filled out online - so they may not yet know why they must be a 5 and not anything else. An interesting question, if you're surveying, may be to also pair each number with an additional question(s), "how long have you studied (each theory)" and/or "by what means did you arrive at your type?" The INTJ 5's who went through enneagram literature, I think, will tell a more keen story for the correlations than would those via questionnaire.

It's funny, because a lot of people think INTJ and 5 go together because of the whole intellect trope - when it's really the habit of withholding one's engagement, knowledge or resources out of fear of depletion that makes a 5 a 5.
I´m writing my paper while being aware of all that - mistypes are accounted for. I mainly want to compare the results I will get with results other people got . Plus, my paper will be mainly based off of licensed literature and not this survey.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I'm 4w5... I'm not the expert on enneagram, but whenever I've tried to confirm it (to look up more information) it seemed right. Especially when it comes to career choice/drive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
4w5 Core, with 458 tritype, sx/sp

I'm pretty heavy on the five but my key motivations are definitely four all the way through. I think that the Five-heavy enneagram typing has to do with either folks misstyping or assuming that INTJ=intelligence, or Five=intelligence. I don't personally believe that Enneagram type and MBTI type 'match', because the basis are different. (Your base motivations vs your thought process pattern)

I always have at least one person on these sort of sites message me stating 'You're probably not an INTJ or maybe not a Four, because Fours can't be 'T'.' I'd like to note that I wish I wasn't an INTJ; that darn Ni-Fi loop captures me incredibly often. If you are one of those people that believe that Enneagram typing and MBTI are tied to one another. I personally believe that correlation does not mean causation in this case.

I've studied the enneagram lightly for going on seven years now; I've never once doubted being a four after initially mistyping myself as a core five. As for MBTI, I was introduced to it by another person studying the enneagram about four years ago, and after doing some studying on my own methods of processing information I realized I was an INTJ; to my chagrin. I definitely never wanted to be a four (which have a slew of negative perceptions bout them) and certainly would have preferred being INTP (which I originally mistyped as). I honestly feel like my combination of types makes for a rather... Abrasive personality altogether.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Type 5w6. Tritype 514. Full designation: 5w6-1w2-4w5. Instinctual variant SO/SP. Temperament: Melancholy-Phlegmatic. DISC type CS. D&D alignment: Neutral Good w/Lawful Tendencies. Shoe size 11EE (borrowed that joke from the ISTJ section). Serial number J0157.

I'd better stop before I get carried away.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
observation
A 5-like trait.

the number of INTJs who believe they are type-5 is overstated
When I first took the Enneagram test, it said it was both a 2 and 5 equally which is supposedly an anomaly. You're not supposed to be able to have two equal results.

Many of the true INTJ 5s also think they're 5s based on a test result for something they may have filled out online - so they may not yet know why they must be a 5 and not anything else.
Which ironically would be un-5-like due to that process alone being limited in scope. Much more research is required. The test is just a starting point. 5s are defined not by intellectual elitism, but by a love of the researcher's quest. What I call "the Sage's Quest."

"how long have you studied (each theory)"
It never occurred to me to calculate that exactly.

"by what means did you arrive at your type?"
A whole lot of honest introspection.

a lot of people think INTJ and 5 go together because of the whole intellect trope
I prefer terms like "analyst" or "investigator." Sounds less elitist that way. The Sage's purpose is not to hole themself up in some ivory tower. It's to use their investigative drive to improve the state of the world in some way.

it's really the habit of withholding one's engagement, knowledge, or resources out of fear of depletion that makes a 5 a 5.
That might be a weakness inherent to our type, but we have strengths too. If we can break through that tendency to withhold, then we can give plenty of gifts to a world that desperately needs what we have to offer. We live in a world in which the status quo is based on speed over order. We take the opposite approach in that we value order over speed. We don't leap before we look. We run the calculations first, and not strictly in a mathematical sense. Not all of us are "mathletes." We're a mix of strategists and tacticians. Some of us can do both equally, but most veer toward one or the other. It's necessary to be at least decent at the one to be proficient at the other, but it's only natural to develop a preference.

assuming that INTJ = intelligence or Five = intelligence
That's why it's so important to encourage resistance against elitism. Hubris is nothing but a path to perdition. It's one reason why I prefer terms like "analyst" or "investigator," but my favorite term is "Sage." A Sage doesn't go around browbeating others for not knowing what they know. A genuine-article Sage just wants to steer people onto the best path for best possible results because we have a mind for prognosticating while pontificating. That sounds poetic, doesn't it?
:proud:
And it's not egotistical for me to say that. Egosynonic, perhaps, but not egotistical.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
5w6.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Signature says all
(the equal sign means that they're so similar in intensity, there's no point in differentiating which is stronger in my personality)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts