Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that there are a certain subset of INTJ's who will talk your ear off about a topic that involves themselves or something they're interested in, and will have almost ZERO regard for whether that person may be interested in what they're saying.

I find this intriguing, since of the 10 or so verified INTJ's that I know, 3 of them exhibit this trait strongly, while the others do not. This is in spite of the fact that these INTJ's have tested heavily introverted. This seems to be their only "extroverted" feature, but it seems to come from either a lack of taking social cues, or a complete disregard for people's unwillingness to listen to them.

Have you noticed this in yourself or other INTJ's? Could it be due to being a weak N, or maybe a VERY weak F? Maybe I'm witnessing a difference in ennegram types among INTJ's? What do you think?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be really popular if you managed to find 10 INTJ's.

I myself have only seen one or two.
I'm in med school, and I got one of my professors into MBTI. He had our entire class take the test and share their results. Also, my dad and brother are both INTJ.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I do this-not as often as I used to, but I do. I don't get the opportunity to talk about interesting things, much, so when I do, I tend to go overboard ("I have to get all these points out because who knows when I'll be able to say them in conversation again!") and in doing so minimize the other person's role in the conversation. Or else I'm just using the person as a "springboard," but I rarely do that.

Probably has to do with maturity. Developed feeling function is also a factor. If I know you're bored, I won't talk your ear off. Much.

·
Registered
365 Posts
you know that being introverted has absolutely nothing to do with how much one enjoys engaging in conversation right? because it doesn't.

All being introverted (overall, not specific functions) means is that the person needs to spends time alone to recharge and is generally tired by social interactions/loud enviroments.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
The only other female INTJ I know IRL is like this once she knows someone well enough to be comfortable with them. Fortunately she is hilarious and if she does corner you, you're not gnawing your own arm off trying to get away, but the traditional polite cues fly right past her. You have to tell her bluntly, "Hey, shut up, I have to go."

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is one of those things that comes with maturity. You have to realize that even though you want to make an explanation for something, you need to keep your audience in mind and subsequently modify the amount of detail you're giving them. If they're interested in what I have to say I'll go full nerd on them, but if I catch them losing interest I start to scale back and hand them control over the conversation again.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
you know that being introverted has absolutely nothing to do with how much one enjoys engaging in conversation right? because it doesn't.

All being introverted (overall, not specific functions) means is that the person needs to spends time alone to recharge and is generally tired by social interactions/loud enviroments.
The word 'introvert' is used pretty wrong all over the place on this entire forum. It's used as an excuse for like every kind of behaviour. It's kind of annoying.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,495 Posts
Can't remember doing this apart from a time I tried a naughty drug.

I usually get tuned in to how interested a person is on a subject. If they aren't I will shut up.

It could be that you are very receptive to talk to perhaps. I enjoy INTP conversations.

Also, it's possible these INTJs are other types. It seems so many to be in one spot.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't do this often, but when I do people tell me I'm talking at them and not to them. I've gotten better at noticing how interested people are in what I have to say, and responding accordingly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was like this when I was very young. While introverts are usually quiet and shy-seeming individuals, this does not necessarily need to be the case. I am quite loud, actually and yes, I will talk your ear off when it comes to some topics (though if I notice disinterest, I will take the hint and shut up).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm in med school, and I got one of my professors into MBTI. He had our entire class take the test and share their results. Also, my dad and brother are both INTJ.
Sorry for the late reply, I wasnt around the house and i didn't have access to the internets.

You are really lucky to be around a lot of INTJ's i guess.

Going back to your original question. I didnt explain myself in the first post. What i meant was that I only ever got to meet one or maybe two INTJs in real life but i 'saw' more online. To be honest with you, i think that there could be more than 3 subgroups of INTJs if not more, this is why i thought i wasnt an intj for so long. Even if you look at the forums, there are these really orthodox INTJs as well as the ones who just like to joke around and be silly from time to time.

When reading articles and forums on the internet, it is also really important to note that some people, like to just troll around and act opposite to what they act like in real life.

Have you noticed this in yourself or other INTJ's? Could it be due to being a weak N, or maybe a VERY weak F? Maybe I'm witnessing a difference in ennegram types among INTJ's? What do you think?
Hmm, i dont think so, I can be like that from time to time too but my N and F are pretty strong. Maybe they are just really passionate about a certain subject?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had long, talk the man's ear off conversations but they always have a point and I never over-talk. I just want good conversation and thank the other participants for it. It is a rare treat and I never leave before I have to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm, i dont think so, I can be like that from time to time too but my N and F are pretty strong. Maybe they are just really passionate about a certain subject?
I think F might have something to do with that. My dad's an INFJ and he will talk your ear off about his favorite subjects once he gets going. He's really passionate but sometimes doesn't catch on to the fact that he's overdoing it and needs to downshift a few gears.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I've noticed that there are a certain subset of INTJ's who will talk your ear off about a topic that involves themselves or something they're interested in, and will have almost ZERO regard for whether that person may be interested in what they're saying.

I find this intriguing, since of the 10 or so verified INTJ's that I know, 3 of them exhibit this trait strongly, while the others do not. This is in spite of the fact that these INTJ's have tested heavily introverted. This seems to be their only "extroverted" feature, but it seems to come from either a lack of taking social cues, or a complete disregard for people's unwillingness to listen to them.

It's a mixture of immaturity, level-ten self-imposed cluelessness spells, and insecurity: they think, "At LAST! Something I'm *confident* enough in my knowledge to talk about to other people. I'd better make up for lost time and all the conversations where I wandered around looking lost and feeling forlorn -- *NOW*'s the time to show people I have what it takes conversationally, after all !"
FAIL.
And the ole' self-esteem (should the INTJ notice the glassy stares and non-stifled yawns) takes yet *another* hit.
Moderation in all things, people.
And learn to tolerate and excel at small talk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If we're talkin about something I love, I'll blow up into talking about it. However, if someone is obviously uncomfortable or bored, I'm quick to drop or change the conversation since I manage to do a pretty good job of reading peoples body language.

It's worth mentioning I'm very in between INFJ and INTJ, so perhaps my F is just more developed than someone who is more strictly INTJ. My T over J was 7%, so...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Eh, I don't do this too often, but sometimes my sister will be like "please, enough, no more!" because she's not as excited about a topic as I am. My dad, however, is also an INTJ and he will go ON and ON about silly things like a game he's really into. He'll tell me and other family members his detailed analysis of how to do this or that in the game, how he taught himself how to do this or that..wants us to look at everything...lol I give him the same "I'm not that interested" look or phrase he gives me at times but he doesn't get it or doesn't care lol and then I thought "oh this must be like me and when I read National Geographic and tell my sister all the interesting factoids I come across while reading." she's like "oh. Cool." :unsure: after a while but I can't help myself! :p I do notice and I will reduce and only tell her the REALLY good ones hahaha

I kind of sum this up to Fi in a way...something is really important/cool to us, so we want to share.

Reactions: es0teric21

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eh, I don't do this too often, but sometimes my sister will be like "please, enough, no more!" because she's not as excited about a topic as I am. My dad, however, is also an INTJ and he will go ON and ON about silly things like a game he's really into. He'll tell me and other family members his detailed analysis of how to do this or that in the game, how he taught himself how to do this or that..wants us to look at everything...lol I give him the same "I'm not that interested" look or phrase he gives me at times but he doesn't get it or doesn't care lol and then I thought "oh this must be like me and when I read National Geographic and tell my sister all the interesting factoids I come across while reading." she's like "oh. Cool." :unsure: after a while but I can't help myself! :p I do notice and I will reduce and only tell her the REALLY good ones hahaha

I kind of sum this up to Fi in a way...something is really important/cool to us, so we want to share.
This is exactly what I mean! My dad is the same exact way! It's so strange to see some INTJ's who are like this, and others who feel no need to externalize their thoughts - although shouldn't a secondary Te function mean that INTJ's will always seek to externalize their thinking?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, I know, they have been diagnosed with aspergers.

Obsession about a topic plus having an huge problem reading other people emotional states. If you are interested though they are super amazing since they are obsessed about it and tend to be more intelligent than average.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts