Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this debate in an INTJ forum INTJ + ADHD + High IQ = ? - Page 3 - INTJ Forum
Do any of you feel as you're stuck in a constant struggle , your mind wants to set up a defined plan, foresee every detail of the future and long for clarity, but you display external behavior such as being disorganized, having a low attention span etc?
Additional info = Are ambivalerted INTJ's/a low preference for T common?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Never. I always move towards closure and I am very organized. Sometimes I am single-minded in getting something done.

INTJs with ADHD are possible but unlikely.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My best friend is an INTJ who believes he has ADHD. Ever since he was younger he struggled to read a book for school, simply because he would keep losing focus. He has seen many doctors who think he is qualified for medication, but the pricing is just too much for him at the moment.

A clear example is that we both took adderall for recreation. The feeling is overwhelming for me, but for him he felt optimized. So as far as I am aware, ADHD is prevalent in at least some INTJs.

On a side note, it takes a unique skill to pay attention to something that you don't find interesting. Perhaps I have ADHD qualities when it comes to social banter.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
My attentions span is very short, I lose focus after approximately 30 mins, so I've learned to switch tasks every half an hour in order to maintain productivity. It seems as if my brain is wired for short, sharp bursts of focus and then needs to switch to something else. I just cannot do something like study all day.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am INTJ and I have ADHD. I only take adderall on days I work which helps me save money. Am I disorganized? Well....sort of. My desk is messy but I know where everything is but I only clean up when im under the effects of adderall. Its not that I don't want to sort things out in a nicer cleaner way. I just don't want to spend the money on organizational desk items to do it.

I would never give up my adderall it not only allows me to focus and be more productive it also makes me a better person. I am far more patient with stupidity when i'm on adderall.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think so, maybe. Not sure if it's the same experience as yours.

The drive to be a go-getter, detailed-plans type is definitely there. Or, the ambition to put it another way.

But the motivation is not. It's like going to start the car and it doesn't turn on. Like WTF is wrong with you car, I just took you into the shop last week, you money hogging fuck.

What was I saying? Oh right. Car analogy. Anyway, point is, it's like I want to, but I can't? Which sounds really weird to me to say. But it seems accurate, despite sounding weird to me. I guess it's like the saying, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Except it's not really my flesh. It's probably my brain.

Like I want to, but it's really hard to summon the willpower to do it with any sort of consistency. In fact, "really hard" may be an understatement.

·
Banned
689 Posts
My attentions span is very short.
"Short."

ADHD/ADD is a mental disorder that is very open to interpretation, you can have mild symptoms and still be diagnosed. However, if you have a decent attention span, please don't complain, you have no idea how jealous people can be.

I got to a high school with approximately 3,500 kids, I meet a lot of different people there as you can imagine. A lot of the more colorful people I've meet have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. They tell me their stories and I listen, and sometimes I notice that they way describe ADD is in a way where they describe themselves powerless against it. I've heard of kids that have been on medication since they were in elementary school, never once thinking about the repercussions for it. They are slaves to it. I personally have been diagnosed with ADD as well. (type 7, it's fun trust me)

I'd love to share my experience with ADD, it would be therapeutic for me.

You ever watch Zoolander? You know this scene?

I laughed for a good five minutes at this. That's a great visual representation of how I feel.

I can't concentrate on something boring for literally, and I mean literally about 10 seconds. It is at it's worst when I'm in a classroom. How is it even possible that someone could sit there for 45 minutes and not break concentration? Oh god, when I see someone type a page on this forum, I experience a little hell each time. I have no idea how you can read books either. The skill just escapes me.

I have accepted that I can't study.

That's actually the main reason I thought I was an INTP at first as well. That and those damn "horoscope" descriptions.

Medicine makes it worst for me. Makes me have an even more introverted attitude.

It just feels like there is always a piece of me in the back of my mind. Always thinking about something. It seems impossible for me to live in the moment.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Well I wasn't saying I had ADD, just saying not all INTJs can hold their attention unerringly for long periods of time. Some people do have short attention spans like me and that's completely normal and something to simply work with. It wasn't a whinge on my behalf. While the OP referenced ADD, the symptoms she described could just be normal scanning type of attention spans like mine. It didn't sound like she was describing your kind of experience, so I was putting it out there that not having the ability to focus on one thing for long hours doesn't rule out being an INTJ.

·
Banned
689 Posts
Well I wasn't saying I had ADD, just saying not all INTJs can hold their attention unerringly for long periods of time. Some people do have short attention spans like me and that's completely normal and something to simply work with. It wasn't a whinge on my behalf. While the OP referenced ADD, the symptoms she described could just be normal scanning type of attention spans like mine. It didn't sound like she was describing your kind of experience, so I was putting it out there that not having the ability to focus on one thing for long hours doesn't rule out being an INTJ.
Yeah, I shouldn't have lashed out like that. You'll have to forgive me for that, and understand where I'm coming from.

Also, side note, only the sarcastic comments at the beginning were directed towards you. I was more focused (irony?) on telling my view and experience on it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It seems really odd that a type with Te second in its stack could normally have such a short attention span and low motivation.

I would research depression. That can do it due to low serotonin and we INTJs seem to be prone to that. But ADHD seems more improbable to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Certainly. I am so INT without enough S so that no matter how I want things to be, I can't always get the job done myself. So I surround myself with ISFs who love me so much, they do the S work for me. I love SFs!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems really odd that a type with Te second in its stack could normally have such a short attention span and low motivation.

I would research depression. That can do it due to low serotonin and we INTJs seem to be prone to that. But ADHD seems more improbable to me.
I don't even know if I'm an INTJ (just sure that I'm something that has a N function as its dominant one and has Fi/Te, but the cognitive quizzes and some people mentioned INTJ as a possibility)
I am diagnosed with starting anxiety but not depression, and I don't think that I am depressed either. Maybe I'm an ENFP and tertiary Te is causing problems, but as you mentioned, chemical imbalance etc could also be causing problems (I have gilbert, extremely low vitamin D levels, anemia, hypoglycemia etc) Guess we'll never know until my body is fully healed
I have only mild ADHD and impulsivity is my main problem (@Loner Leader, I guess your case is harder but I'm also a high school student and it's the worst place for someone with ADD/ADHD. It'll be better when you start a job you choose) is not inattentivity but I'm not as efficient as Te doms. I don't have the carefreeness of the P doms either. @LostFavor's experience is pretty close to mine. tbh I feel like my Te is inhibited by an external source
To sum up, according to the responses of others, identifying as an INTJ doesn't require massive amounts of concentration and structure so I wouldn't run out the possibility of being an INTJ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never. I always move towards closure and I am very organized. Sometimes I am single-minded in getting something done.

Hi, I’m an intj with ADHD. I actually typed myself as an ENTP because my life-long bouts of hyperactivity and curiosity often looked like high Ne, though I have virtually no Si and even less Fe. I even thought I was an ESFP with unacceptably unhealthy Se for a bit because ADHD can make you suuuuper horny due to the lack of consistent dopamine release.

All that said, I am definitely an INTJ. I test consistently as one now that I’m medicated, and I have been typed as one through observation and interview methods by my old personality Psych professor.
You should avoid saying things like “possible but unlikely” about things that are most certainly possible and likely, considering ADHD and cognitive functions can be entirely separate. The meyers briggs system is a tool to help understand yourself and others, and stating things that are influenced by personal bias has the potential to throw off a reader who takes your word as fact.

·
Code Cracked
13,769 Posts
Hi, I’m an intj with ADHD. I actually typed myself as an ENTP because my life-long bouts of hyperactivity and curiosity often looked like high Ne, though I have virtually no Si and even less Fe. I even thought I was an ESFP with unacceptably unhealthy Se for a bit because ADHD can make you suuuuper horny due to the lack of consistent dopamine release.

All that said, I am definitely an INTJ. I test consistently as one now that I’m medicated, and I have been typed as one through observation and interview methods by my old personality Psych professor.
You should avoid saying things like “possible but unlikely” about things that are most certainly possible and likely, considering ADHD and cognitive functions can be entirely separate. The meyers briggs system is a tool to help understand yourself and others, and stating things that are influenced by personal bias has the potential to throw off a reader who takes your word as fact.
Apologies... I stopped at the name for a moment. :ROFLMAO: I know who can assist you with parts/all of your dilemmas on here. @impulsenine

You can thank me later!

·
Registered
INTJ-A
23 Posts
Yeah, to me an INTJ with ADHD is kind of like an oxymoron. If it were up to me I would say that wouldn't even exist. Although, it's not. And if you still consider yourself an INTJ I respect it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would describe myself as having ADhD. Like, I can't sit still, never have been able to, but I can keep my butt in a chair. My legs are swinging, or I'm spinning back and forth, or twiddling a pen, or some other "fidget" but I swear it's nearly impossible for me to sit completely still. Even sleeping I'm constantly tossing and turning.

Because I can sit in a chair, I was never diagnosed, but my focus is - well, typical for people with that. Hyper focus if something is really engaging for me, but intermittent at best if it is not. By this point in my life I've found certain jobs and fields that work better for my personality than others, and I can do fairly well, but long term focus can still be an issue (especially since the things I really want to do require me to HAVE money, not provide me money LOL). Some employers and jobs are still an issue, and boy, if I don't want to do something (and it does not interest me), it's like trying to pull my own teeth out to get myself to do it....even at my age.

I made it through school and my undergrad on intelligence and common sense - studying was hard to come by, and if I'm honest, my effort vs the grades I got really don't align with what I see most college students go through. That said, that hyper focus thing was helpful too, since I could accomplish "many" things in half the time it took other people (saw this over and over in graduate school).

·
Registered
INTJ
1,972 Posts

ADHD has NOTHING to do with type. It's not a personality problem, it's a neurological issue.

I'm INTJ I have ADHD. I like planning and organisation, but ADHD can make you a bit inconsistent.

·
Registered
INTJ-A
23 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts