Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI PC! As of now I am taking a Research Methods class at USC and I am designing an experiment to uncover truths about personality types.

After getting so absorbed into MBTI (like all of you) I became fascinated with the general predictability of personality. Of course nobody is 100% predictable, but the fact that my INTJ description was even REMOTELY close had my Ni roaming far and wide for answers.

This search compelled me to study other personality models like DISC and Socionics but surprisingly the personality guide that began to intrigue me the most was........Astrology.

I'm sure there is a very WIDE range of opinions on the validity of Astrology, and as your intj cousin, I can say I am skeptical. BUT with an OPEN mind and more research, I began to find that Astrology is MUCH MUCH MUCH deeper than most people know. Have you ever heard of a Natal Chart? It is a map of each planets position in the sky at your time of birth. Most people may think they are only one sign (Aries, Gemini, Virgo ect.) but this is NOT TRUE! In fact EVERY person has a mixture of signs and EVERY person has a unique make up of 5-6 Astrological Influences affecting their personality. No two people are alike in astrology.

After discovering this, I found that my in depth astrological descriptions were VERY accurate. In great alignment with my INTJ description, and even more accurate in some areas.

HOW could this be possible?

So in INTJ fashion I'm out to discover if there is any meaningful correlation between MBTI and Astrology. Astrology emphasizes that each planet provides a certain type of energy. Mercury is associated with Intelligence and understanding (Ti, Ni ?). Mars with Aggressiveness (Se?). Very much in the same way that each MBTI cognitive function has a certain "feel" or associations as well.

So here is my question....

Could the placement of a particular planet in a persons chart boost the use of a particular function?

For example: Could there be a significant placement for Mercury among people who type Intjs or intps?

If only for the sake of debate & research, this is pretty interesting stuff.
BUT I will need INTJ HELP!! :unsure:

In order to do this RIGHT I will need volunteers who will not mind providing their birthdays and birthtimes for the sake of this research. It will be 1000% confidential and anonymous, no shady business involved.

Since most of you already know your MBTI type it will make the study that much more easier and accurate.

Let me know if this sounds interesting at all and I will provide details on how to participate!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The problem with this research is that even if you somehow find a significant relationship you're still not going to be able to determine causation. You wouldn't be able to claim that You'd have no idea whether those relationships are due to seasonal differences or other extraneous variables; there's practically no way to link anything you find with any sort of cosmic energy, even if you teamed up with a bunch of astrophysicists. There are so many strange relationships in the world--just go read Malcom Gladwell's Outliers, or Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner's Freakonomics. The only way to show causation is through true experimentation, and any data you use for this research wouldn't be experimental because you're not manipulating an independent variable that is completely (or almost completely) under your control--at most you might be putting people into groups based on predictor variables.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've often proposed an experiment. I get somebody's natal chart with known personality metrics, and have the astrologer figure out what type they are. I can't imagine they'll be very successful.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
:|.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
... Interesting title, shouldn't have read further than the capital letters though it would seem.

Before trying to find a causal link, try and prove that these planets have some form of energy field that for some reason arbitrarily affects the personalities of apes that happen to have been lucky enough for consciousness?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Psuedoscience + Psuedoscience = Science?

Reactions: Paradox of Vigor

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
HI PC! As of now I am taking a Research Methods class at USC and I am designing an experiment to uncover truths about personality types.

After getting so absorbed into MBTI (like all of you) I became fascinated with the general predictability of personality. Of course nobody is 100% predictable, but the fact that my INTJ description was even REMOTELY close had my Ni roaming far and wide for answers.

This search compelled me to study other personality models like DISC and Socionics but surprisingly the personality guide that began to intrigue me the most was........Astrology.

I'm sure there is a very WIDE range of opinions on the validity of Astrology, and as your intj cousin, I can say I am skeptical. BUT with an OPEN mind and more research, I began to find that Astrology is MUCH MUCH MUCH deeper than most people know. Have you ever heard of a Natal Chart? It is a map of each planets position in the sky at your time of birth. Most people may think they are only one sign (Aries, Gemini, Virgo ect.) but this is NOT TRUE! In fact EVERY person has a mixture of signs and EVERY person has a unique make up of 5-6 Astrological Influences affecting their personality. No two people are alike in astrology.

After discovering this, I found that my in depth astrological descriptions were VERY accurate. In great alignment with my INTJ description, and even more accurate in some areas.

HOW could this be possible?

So in INTJ fashion I'm out to discover if there is any meaningful correlation between MBTI and Astrology. Astrology emphasizes that each planet provides a certain type of energy. Mercury is associated with Intelligence and understanding (Ti, Ni ?). Mars with Aggressiveness (Se?). Very much in the same way that each MBTI cognitive function has a certain "feel" or associations as well.

So here is my question....

Could the placement of a particular planet in a persons chart boost the use of a particular function?

For example: Could there be a significant placement for Mercury among people who type Intjs or intps?

If only for the sake of debate & research, this is pretty interesting stuff.
BUT I will need INTJ HELP!! :unsure:

In order to do this RIGHT I will need volunteers who will not mind providing their birthdays and birthtimes for the sake of this research. It will be 1000% confidential and anonymous, no shady business involved.

Since most of you already know your MBTI type it will make the study that much more easier and accurate.

Let me know if this sounds interesting at all and I will provide details on how to participate!!
Show me a theoretical explanation of the following first:

Where you were born, in the same hour or so that you were born, in the same area you were born, probably a whole bunch of other people were born as well. If you were born in a big hospital in a big city, it could easily be like 30 people all pretty much within the same hour. According to your logic, those are all INTJ's.

Does that make any sense?

If it does, then I know your whole post was fake and that you liked Astrology before you even knew about the MBTI and are just coming up with a story that you know appeals to INTJ's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my opinion, i say opinion because I have no facts on that matter, they have no correlation. I'm sure smarter people than you have tried to make this connection and no one's done it yet. Doesn't mean it can't be done, I'm just sayin. Personality is derived from environment and genetics. I don't see how the position of planets changes anything.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Genes (mostly) and the environment/upbringing affect our personalities, not the position of the stars when we were born. I know a girl who was born in the same hospital as me five minutes before me (our mothers became friends, and that's why I still know her), and she and I have nothing in common. I am not sure of her MBTI type but I'd guess ISTJ (or maybe ISFJ). As far away from ENFP that you can get ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Assuming that cosmic energy works, that means that there's one additional variable to control in addition to genetics, epigenetics and nurture.

It's already quite difficult to determine causation with genetics, epigenetics and nurture alone. Should we add another variable?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh, dear... Internet forums are ok for qualitative research or semantic analysis (if you know, what I mean), not for quantiatives. Not even talking about modelling and predictions.

Predicting the types of not representative group of people, majority of whom identified their MBTI types on basis of free internet quizes, part of whom doubt in their personality type (really, two of my "forum friends" changed the types from INTJ to ENTJ and ISFP) and on basis of not proven variable (astrological sign)... oh, dear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The OP sounds like an infomercial. If I apply in the next 15 minutes, will there be a free set of kitchen knives in it for me?(??)

Reactions: BuddhistENFP
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.