Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
What do you guys think of us?
You perceive data differently than we do, but I find INTJs to be very similar to ISTJs. One of my very best friends is an INTJ---love him, love him, love him. It has been a hugely beneficial relationship.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
^ Agree. I have a friend that is an INTJ; we can go weeks without talking, and pick up pretty much right where we left off with no stress on either side. We argue like cats and dogs (but it's always about some academic or scientific disagreement, and we can pick up our arguments weeks later, too) but it's not a BAD sort of arguing. In fact, it's a very easy relationship to maintain, which is quite refreshing.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
What do you think of our iconoclastic tendencies and disregard for incompetent authority figures? I find ISTJs often sharing these views (or at least agreeing) but not being nearly as vocal about it..
People that are in positions of authority (but shouldn't be) IS in fact very frustrating, but at the same time, those incompetent authority figures are STILL responsible for you remaining gainfully employed. This is why I'm not as vocal. Practical wins out in this case. Having said that, I can't stand it when people in authority are stupid. It makes things much more difficult for me. It's a difficult tightrope to walk at times.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
People that are in positions of authority (but shouldn't be) IS in fact very frustrating, but at the same time, those incompetent authority figures are STILL responsible for you remaining gainfully employed. This is why I'm not as vocal. Practical wins out in this case. Having said that, I can't stand it when people in authority are stupid. It makes things much more difficult for me. It's a difficult tightrope to walk at times.
Well, this extends beyond your boss. It goes into the inner workings of our very world and it's various political systems.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what to think of them. I have had two of them with whom I had to interact on the job. One was my supervisor, and one was her supervisor. I know their type because they were both required to take the MBTI test during thir staff training, and they were talking about it.

I think the upside of having an INTJ for a boss was that she was always reliable and did their job. There were too many downsides that caused problems on the job, though. First, I think my supervisor's lack of introverted sensing caused her not to pick up on a lot of details, which led to some things being done in a disorganized and inefficient fashion. She sometimes didn't catch people not doing their jobs, but she got angry and punished people harshly before she had all the details when she perceived someone to be slacking. Also, she didn't always have her facts right before she started making judgments about others, so I guess she jumped to conclusions. Also, I think my supervisor had very condescending opinions about some people, but she was never able to say what things led her to think all of the condescending things that she did. I know from reading about INTJs that they can be very critical, even though they mean well. But since she didn't really have examples to back up some of the things that she said, I just thought she was being hypercritical (constructive criticism is good, but hers was not really constructive). Lastly, I think she kind of had rediculous expectations that could not be met. I sometimes found there was no way to imeet her high goals without sacrificing my performance in other parts of my job--she expected perfection in pretty much everything. And if we were not perfect at all aspects of the job (as she perceived it), we ended up getting some very bad comments on our evaluations. While I would have been able to take it if she judged herself as harshly as she judged us, she appeared to find fault in others instead of ever considering that she was partly to blame for the problems.

Do INTJs really care a lot about their authority? Do people have to agree with what they say?

But from this one example I do not wish to judge all INTJs. Most of them are probably decent. But I will say I never want to have an INTJ as a supervisor ever again after this experience.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
What do you think of our iconoclastic tendencies and disregard for incompetent authority figures? I find ISTJs often sharing these views (or at least agreeing) but not being nearly as vocal about it..
It's true we have our differences on how we view authority, iconoclasm, and incompetence in leadership. But you'd be surprised at how much we have in common. The only difference really is that while you INTJs tend to be more optimists, we ISTJs are pragmatists. We accept that the world is corrupt and there areidiots around us who only contribute to it. We may ponder why the world has to be the way it is, but we work with it understanding there's only so much we can do.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Ditto. Read my previous comment.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What do you guys think of us?
I've only got my INTJ to base my observations on, but she's awesome. We often talk after watching a movie or reading the occasional Phil K. Dick together, and she comes up with brilliant ideas. I tend to think linearly (cause - conditions - effect) whereas she does it more dimensionally (on multi-level aspects), although these traits could've been somewhat reinforced through our respective academic trainings.

She's an intense worker. I'm much more aware of my own physical conditions and take breaks when I need them, but when working she functions like a single giant brain steeped in caffeine (her own words!). When that happens I make sure she eats regularly and gets enough sleep.

She has a fiery temper and occasionally gets impatient with the people she interacts with at school. Stress gets her moody from time to time. I'd hold her, let her vent, crack a couple of jokes to make her laugh again when she calms down. I think she likes the fact that I'm more relaxed and laid-back, easily amused, and rarely angry at anyone or anything.

My INTJ is also an extremely loving and affectionate person, although I suspect very few people know that.

Efficiency and competence is everything. I understand the resulting frustration when there's a sad lack of both.
At at the same time, I have more respect for authority - the position itself, if not the person. The established hierarchial system has its merits in maintaining social order. Slight inefficiency is better than chaos. If I'm refraining from vocal dissent, it's probably because I'm examining ways to improve the existing system via established, 'legit' routes (whenever possible).

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Efficiency and competence is everything. I understand the resulting frustration when there's a sad lack of both.
At at the same time, I have more respect for authority - the position itself, if not the person. The established hierarchial system has its merits in maintaining social order. Slight inefficiency is better than chaos. If I'm refraining from vocal dissent, it's probably because I'm examining ways to improve the existing system via established, 'legit' routes (whenever possible).

This. So spot on, I wish that I had written it. Yeah, a case of post envy.:blushed:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
At at the same time, I have more respect for authority - the position itself, if not the person. The established hierarchial system has its merits in maintaining social order.
Yep, we are reformers not outlaws. There is something great to be said about our overall outlook on respect and decency to others, which others may not hold with equal value.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like INTJs a lot. I'm dating one. His idiosyncrasies and eccentricities are really endearing. He always seems very purposeful in everything he says and does and he's one of the most intelligent people I have ever encountered. On a more stereotypical level, I tend to like jerks. :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts