Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTP: Introverted Thinking with Intuition

INTP types are quiet by undying skeptics. They are mainly interested in new ideas and have little concern for parties or small talk. They can, however, become quite talkative about a topic they've recently studied. Their logic cuts directly to the core issue of any problem.

Choosing a Major
  • Need to understand everything; may be difficult to focus on one major
  • See ideal job as allowing freedom to use special abilities
  • Found frequently in pure sciences, mathematics, research, engineering, college teaching, computer analysis, or any field involving theory, such as philosophy or psychology
Playing
  • Extracurricular activities usually involve lectures, drama, and music
  • May frustrate roommates who need casual conversation or appreciation
  • Report they do not date much in college; abhor small talk
  • Because they follow their curiosity, work is play
Learning Style
  • Intensely curious
  • Global and abstract learners
  • Understand theories and underlying principles quickly
  • Can get so absorbed in reading or research that they forget time and people
  • Report 3 to 9 hours a week of non-required serious reading
Possible Causes of Stress
  • May lack social supports
  • May not pay attention to details and follow through
  • May get consumed by favorite courses and ignore all the others
  • May be so involved with work that they ignore extracurricular activities
  • May put off writing until they read everything available on the topic
Reading, Writing, Studying
  • May find it impossible to study without quiet or concentration
  • Enjoy mastering complex theories
  • May not have studied much in high school; college may come as a shock
  • Write first drafts loosely, including all possible ideas related to the topic
  • Need to revise final drafts by reducing complexity and by including human examples
Dealing with Stress
  • Naturally adept well to outside pressures
  • Need to look beyond logic to see what others, and they themselves, really care about
  • May need to work at making social contacts
  • Need to learn to take breaks for physical activity
  • Need to restrain their urge to read everything that's ever been written on a topic
INTP​
A Love of Problem-Solving

If any type personifies the absentminded professor, it would likely be the INTP. Their inner reflectiveness--Introversion--enables them to explore all the imaginative possibilities their Intuition preference provides. Their objectivity (Thinking) demands the analysis of all that information, and their open-ended and flexible attitude (Perceiving) prompts them to be responsive to whatever new data presents itself.

Such a combination of preferences keeps the INTP caught up in the paradoxical goal of always trying to make a coherent whole out of an endlessly proliferating amount of data. Whether it's an article, drawing, a plan, scheme, thought, or theory, the INTP struggles to fit all its pieces together into a complete picture that keeps expanding with the continual discovery of new pieces. As a result, all thoughts, ideas, and plans, however final they seem, are subject to last-minute changes when "new data," from either internal or external influences, become available. This is very exciting to INTPs and very frustrating to others, especially those with a preference for Judging.

To arrive at what seems like perfection, only to have it challenged by a new insight, is at once exciting and challenging to INTPs. As a result, they are their own greatest critics and pride themselves on being the first to knock down their own theories or correct themselves with a better word or improved idea. The quest for flawlessness, cleverness, competency, conceptual perfection, and self-mastery is a driving force for INTPs. When maximized, however, these goals can become tiresome, self-punishing liabilities.​
Any project, from fixing a leaky faucet to writing a business plan to taking a vacation, presents itself as a mental challenge to the INTP, who things through every stage of the task at hand, from beginning to end.

Such thinking may well involve computers, drawing boards, resource books, and anything else that will help the INTP focus the project and create a plan open-ended enough to allow for improvements. Once such a plan has been developed, either on paper or int the INTP's mind, a considerable amount of energy must then go into critiquing and improving the "rough draft." This process, which may go on for hours, days, even weeks, is always more exciting, challenging, and stimulating to the INTP than actually doing whatever needs to be done. Sometimes, once an INTP thinks a project through, he or she may lose interest in it, for in the mind of the INTP that project has been completed--even if that's the only place it exists. Indeed, when INTPs are conceptualizing--and they usually are--it can be difficult to interrupt their high power of concentration.

Gender issues are especially pointed for the INTP female. While all of the internal conceptualizing, however misunderstood, may be tolerated in a male, society is less likely to tolerate the same characteristic in a female. The absentminded professor si another image more conventionally male than female. This creates at least three special problems for the INTP female: First, women historically have not been looked upon as the architects of much beyond their own homes and families. The constant desire to make life conform to a theoretical model, while true to the INTP preference, flies in the face of traditional female roles. Second, conceptual originality is similarly not the traditional female trait.

Some INTPs, asked the time of day, would be tempted to expound on the philosophical meaning of time; this eccentricity in a man may be looked upon as the result of over intelligence, in a woman it may result in her being labeled "dizzy" or even "dumb." Finally, the Thinking preference of INTPs directly counters most females' scripting to be subjective, soft, and caring. Even worse, when an INTP female's feeling side does surface, it often does so with intensity, an outpouring that can be frightening to both herself and others.

In relating to an INTP, male or female, expect an intellectual challenge. Words spoken and thoughts shared with an INTP will be construed as an invitation to expand, clarify, argue, and rethink. Though less immediately reactive than their ENTP relatives, they are sure to be thinking about and rehearsing a response that will cause all involved to reevaluate the issue at hand. Such discipline and rigor brings growth and new direction to a relationship. But social deftness and poise are generally secondary to an INTP's intellectual pursuits. As a result, when INTPs are absorbed in thinking or questioning, they can often appear hard to reach, at best, or even downright rude, to those of a different type.

Parenting for the INTP is seen as an opportunity to help young minds develop and grow. Very patient and accepting of differences in children, INTP parents want their children to grow up enjoying, expressing, living through independent thought. Clearly preferring a child to develop "mind over body," INTP parents have an amazing tolerance of and support for each child's pursuit of his or her own course. If anything, they may be too nondirective of their children's development. It is an INTP model to open new possibilities for the child by suggesting--not demanding and rarely imposing--alternatives to whatever thought or action the child may be pursuing; if the alternative is not adopted, the typical INTP response is simply--"At least I tried." But sometimes children, even when they seem rebellious or uninterested, welcome a parent's pushing and imposing new ideas. Those who do are out of luck if they have INTP parents, for "pushing" and "imposing" are two words foreign to INTPs.

It is a live-and-let-live lifestyle for most INTPs. Study, follow one's inspirations, master the situation, then move on to some new "problem." At times, their love of problem-solving may overshadow their other inclinations. So, for example, while not particularly mechanically inclined, they may find the challenge of repairing a broken appliance totally consuming, and be willing to expend great bursts of energy to master the situation. Having mastered it, they will instantly move on to something else. They are the quintessential Jacks (or Janes) of all trades and masters of none.

As children, INTPs can be viewed variously as socially shy or terribly argumentative, with little in between. In school they may be seen as unfocused, pursuing too many things unrelated to the curriculum. Worse yet, they are seen as raising the wrong questions at the wrong times, although this may be more a reflection of a teacher's rigidity than a student's disorganization. Still, the INTP's behavior can be seen as disruptive, particularly in females. The result, inevitably, is that INTPs must work harder than most to tolerate and survive grade school. When they are successful, they will likely thrive in college. The inquisitiveness encouraged in higher education is the INTP's dream come true. For INTPs, whatever the subject, the joy is in learning.

Family events for INTPs are generally fun because they are opportunities to explore what makes such events and people tick. While an INTP may be remiss in remember anniversaries and belated in honoring them, such events are considered important and the forgetfulness is inadvertent. At the very least, family occasions offer material for through about the meaning of family and its place in the sequence of life. As an INTP grows and matures, even bedtime may seem a stepping-off place for exploration, because it opens the door to dreams, which provide more opportunities for understanding and growth.

Work that does not include intellect and the opportunity for mastery soon becomes drudgery for INTPs. In fact, if a job doesn't afford the INTP such challenges, he or she will be better off seeking new employment. Otherwise, on-the-job listlessness will result, over the long term, in stress, accident proneness, and overall poor performance.

Senior years for INTPs ought to afford time to theorize and dream with much less accountability. During some of that time INTPs may experience more Extroversion and subjectivity (Feeling), which may be simultaneously scary and quite exciting. As that phase passes, the INTP will settle into a senior citizenship of developing new thoughts and ideas to present to younger generations.

Famous likely INTPs include Linus of Peanuts comics (who brings rationality to the contemplation of the theological implications of absolutely everything in the world and intimidates everyone with the universal questions he ceaselessly raises); C. G. Jung (whose revolutionary and complex theories of personality were comprehended by few, although his intent was simply to raise questions for all to explore); and Albert Einstein (an intellectual Goliath who devoted his entire life to exploration and questioning, and yet was known to show up at a dinner party having forgotten to wear pants).

Summary - INTP​
Contributions to the Organization

• Design logical and complex systems​
  • Demonstrate expertise in tackling complex problems​
  • Have short- and long-range intellectual insight​
  • Apply logic, analysis, and critical thinking on issues​
  • Cut directly to the core issue​
Leadership Style

• Lead through conceptual analysis of problems and goals​
  • Apply logical systems thinking​
  • Prefer to lead other independent types while seeking autonomy for themselves​
  • Seek to interact at an intellectual rather than an emotional level​
Preferred Work Environment

• Contains independent thinkers focused on solving complex problems​
  • Allows privacy​
  • Fosters independence​
  • Flexible​
  • Quiet​
  • Unstructured​
  • Rewards self-determination​
Potential Pitfalls

• May be too abstract and therefore unrealistic about necessary follow-through​
  • May over-intellectualize and become too theoretical in their explanations​
  • May focus overly on minor inconsistencies at the expense of teamwork and harmony​
  • May turn their critical analytical thinking on people and act impersonally​
Suggestions for Development

• May need to focus on practical details and develop follow-through​
  • May need to make efforts to state things more simply​
  • May need to show appreciation of others' input​
  • May need to get to know more about others' personal and professional sides​
Order of Mental Preferences

1. Thinking​
  2. Intuition​
  3. Sensing​
  4. Feeling​

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with the parenting thing. With my daughter im always trying to get her to try new things. Painting, writing, acting even. I want her to experience everything, but I don't push her to do anything. I don't really know what personality type my daughter is so maybe im not doing it right? Maybe she does need to be pushed. lol have no idea. She is only seven but seems to except and explore all of the different options I set out for her. Even wrote her first little book the other day.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow, I realized that my post was never sent, ohh well. I had originally said that my cat was demanding my attention, tv was on a good show, and I had just shocked myself while trying to fix my messed up internet connection. Not that important:mellow:, where did you get this? It is more or less 100 % true

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes I want Marino to tell something from himself, I get the feeling he's kind of a bot in the forums that only serves the purpose of posting articles from other sites. :mellow:

INTP - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving

For sure, I am only here to serve people like you, Tlatoani.
Usually, none of my posts are actually written by myself.
Count my posts. All 800+ are copied and pasted from other websites.
Keeping articles fresh and exciting is difficult but
Ordinarily my sole and extremely important
Function is to keep you happy.
Feel free to critique my services more. The reader is always right!

·
Registered
532 Posts
tell that to the other types, or back to someone in the 'dark ages', you would get killed! Marino is a robot, don't you know that Lance programed him to spread fear among the people, and CafeBot to be her eyes and ears, her captive? Maybe even some kinky robot-human female kind of thing! Anyway INTPS ROCK! JOIN THE NEW INTP CLUB TODAY!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Now, may I ask.

Where in the INTP description are the so called artistic INTPs?
Found frequently in pure sciences, mathematics, research, engineering, college teaching, computer analysis, or any field involving theory, such as philosophy or psychology

Art is full of theories. Every scale in music is a theory of harmony... every technique in painting... every movement in drama... nothing is concrete and real, but rather intuitive and theoretical.

Extracurricular activities usually involve lectures, drama, and music

Duh

Because they follow their curiosity, work is play

Yeah... this can be explained, but I won't. It's fairly obvious

Learning Style
  • Intensely curious
  • Global and abstract learners
  • Understand theories and underlying principles quickly
  • Can get so absorbed in reading or research that they forget time and people
  • Report 3 to 9 hours a week of non-required serious reading
Every one of these characteristics are easily attributed to musicians. A musician is nothing if he's not curious about rhythms. He's nothing if he can't grasp the abstractism in musical theory. And has to practice for HOURS if we wants to be good at it... all while still having fun =)

There.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
OP is 100% accurate. However, my mom won't let me study psychology. I have to get a "real career." The only other thing I have interest in is languages, so I've told her that I want to become a polyglot interpreter.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
OP is 100% accurate. However, my mom won't let me study psychology. I have to get a "real career." The only other thing I have interest in is languages, so I've told her that I want to become a polyglot interpreter.
I was in a similar situation upon entering college. I didn't study what I wanted and ended up dropping out almost immediately. You don't need your parents to get through college. Where there is a a will, there is a way. Take the path you know you'll be happy with.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're probably are not, you're probably an artistic INTP or something.

Myself, there's no better type to be than INTP.
hell yea motherfucker

Reactions: JordanAshwin

·
Registered
457 Posts
I can't believe how well that description describes me. I only just started to think I was INTP a couple hours ago from all the reading on all this, as I originally thought I was INTJ actually. I wanna send this to family now but they wouldn't get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts