Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some reading. I know that 4 and INTP is basically impossible, but I have tested as a 4 a few times, more times than I have a 5. (I've actually tested as 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9. Ugh.) I feel like I'm SO in the middle between 4 and 5. I think maybe I'm a 5, but once I get into a really deep relationship, I open up more and become more emotional, and sometimes clingy because I'm afraid of rejection once I have reached the point where I open up, which happens rarely.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I 4w5 or 5w4? :confused:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Guess is you're on the right track. 5w4 is likely but we really need more information to give you any good judgement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. I am INTP, so 5w4 is the obvious choice, but as I said, once I actually get into relationships with people, which is rare, but once it happens, I think I definitely take a turn towards 4-ish behavior. I need to feel special and wanted. I can be kinda dramatic and clingy when under stress. But typically, on the surface, I suppose I am more a 5. How important is it to take into account how I am under stress or in close relationships? It seems like that would be very important. I feel like how I am in close relationships is more true to who I am once I open up to people...?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been doing some reading. I know that 4 and INTP is basically impossible, but I have tested as a 4 a few times, more times than I have a 5. (I've actually tested as 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9. Ugh.) I feel like I'm SO in the middle between 4 and 5. I think maybe I'm a 5, but once I get into a really deep relationship, I open up more and become more emotional, and sometimes clingy because I'm afraid of rejection once I have reached the point where I open up, which happens rarely.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I 4w5 or 5w4? :confused:
Why you "know" that INTP and 4 is basically impossible?

It is possible to be INTP 3, 4, 9, 5... and basically all others, but these are common.

You are more likely 4 because as INTP you relate more to 5.

Enneagram is about motivations; when you have a fight with someone how do you react: make drama and fight, or withdraw and analyze?

first is 4, second is 5.

NOTE: Dont listen to those who told you what's impossible.

Here's a chart explaining INTP and 4.
Imageshack - gviewhe.png

diagram explanation:

DIAGRAM EXPLANATION
The Correlation Diagram represents how the two parts of personality interact. The
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) system of personality typing provides a profile of
the Core Self. The Enneagram system provides a profile of the Defense System. Each
type in each system has a distinct set of characteristics or traits. Sometimes these traits
are compatible and reinforce each other. Sometimes they are oppositional, causing a
sense of having a continual internal war. The two circles in the diagram represent the
two parts of personality: Core Self (MBTI) and Defense System (Enneagram). The
degree of overlap of the two circles indicates how compatible or oppositional the two
parts of personality are.
Appearing on the top and bottom of the diagram are the lists of corresponding
compatible traits. These traits are present in both the Core Self and the Defense
System of the personality and reinforce each other. This makes the expression of
these traits “exponential” and very marked in the individual. It also precludes much
flexibility in the areas of the compatible traits because the individual does not have much
experience living any other way.
The lists of corresponding oppositional traits appear at the left and right. These traits are
in diametric opposition to each other. When control is located in the Core Self, one trait
is evident. When control shifts to the Defense System, the opposite trait appears. This
type of radical internal contradiction is often confusing for the individual causing, at the
least, self-doubt and consternation.
Traits which neither reinforce nor oppose are called “neutral” and are not included in
the diagram. If both the compatible and oppositional lists are short on the diagram, it
indicates a great many neutral traits which causes the individual to feel as if there are two
distinctly different personalities living within one body, neither seeming to recognize the

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enneagram is about motivations; when you have a fight with someone how do you react: make drama and fight, or withdraw and analyze?
It depends on who the person is and what my mood is, I'm prone to do either. It depends on how emotionally involved I am, how stressed I am. If I'm stressed I can either emotionally withdraw, or totally explode, just depending on the specifics of the situation. I honestly feel like I'm a 5 and a 4. I still can't decide which is my primary and which is the wing. But I'm going to stick with 4w5, I think. I think that combined with INTP will give people a better sense of who I am.

Reactions: AkiKaza

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's not just you, I'm also borderline between a 4 and a 5. I test as more of a 5, but that could just be depending on the day honestly. Then again, most times I take the MBTI test I border between a T and an F so maybe that has something to do with it? How are your scores in that regard?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not just you, I'm also borderline between a 4 and a 5. I test as more of a 5, but that could just be depending on the day honestly. Then again, most times I take the MBTI test I border between a T and an F so maybe that has something to do with it? How are your scores in that regard?
I score pretty high on the T side most of the time. I've never scored as an F, except the first time I took the test I got ENFP. Typically, I see emotions as an obstacle to be overcome. I don't understand them. I don't like them. My relationship with them in general is pretty unhealthy. As you can see in my signature, I have limited use of my Fi, and virtually no use of Fe. But, nonetheless, deep inside of me I have this longing to connect with something bigger. I want to feel special. I can definitely be dramatic in romantic relationships. Once I allow myself to feel, I feel very deeply. I feel like I'm constantly searching for who I really am. I love beautiful and symbolic things. All of these seem to be more 4.

Being a 4 and INTP would certainly make sense for me, actually. I don't always get along with myself very well. At all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've been worrying about this for the past few months, whether or not I'm a 4 or a 5, because I resonate with both, and it's extremely difficult for me to tell which one is the wing. I went with 5w4 because I hated the inconsistency, but I still don't know. Sometimes I think all the 4ness is just that dreaded teenage angst, and as I grow up, I'll realize I'm more of a 5...still no idea though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I was kind of on the fence until I read about melancholy and how that feeling drives a 4 and I instantly knew I was a 4w5. Basically what I have termed "the 4 melancholy", actually I didn't coin that term but that's what I'm calling it for now, is that enjoyment out of emotional pain. To give an example there was this girl I used to like and I never told her got into the friend zone blahblahblah eventually this huge douchebag came in and she fell for him and I felt so horrible, but I loved it. Just that horrible pit in your stomach feeling, I just can't seem to get enough.

Also, there was this other girl at my work that really made the day easier, she was just really silly and made me realize that there was at least one good thing about the universe (as I see it rather nihalistically) Then she quit and I re-ran that last night I worked with her and we just went through all these different accents when we greeted customers, but now she's gone and I just revel in the melancholy that memory brings me, knowing she's gone now.

Hopefully that made some sense :D

Also, I find myself not really getting along with more intellectual types, for example all my friends have been ESFP. (kind of weird actually), not sure if that has anything to do with it.... good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts