Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are some of you guys impulsive sometimes? I generally think before doing things, but sometimes I do things without thinking of the consequences of my actions. This is usually when I am in a bad mood.

Do INTP's have a habit of always thinking things through, or do they sometimes let things slip instead of thinking of the consequences?

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I'm impulsive with ideas. Like I'll think something is great and just go with it, and when I run the idea past someone, I don't actually want criticism, I just want them to tell me that my idea is ok so I can confirm my already cemented view on it, and then I continue for a while until I get bored, and realise it was just another one of my short-lived whims. Not that the impulse is bad or incorrect, but I just don't ever commit for long enough. I think it's a major NTP trait.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
In a psychological test I had to do, it turned out that my impulsiveness was almost off the charts.

So yes, I believe I could be described as impulsive.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
... tend to think things through...

to others it often comes of as being more impulsive or spontaneous, tho.

more inclined to obsess afterwards than before...

patience isn't particularly a virtue for anyone, so, generally such decisions in scenes resulting with negative or life changing consequences is the reaction to being prodded or backed into a wall on a theory.

'course easier in the professional, educational, etc, sectors than say the personal... easier to decide on a decision that will affect millions than decide which place to head to lunch or to define/state how am I feeling.

more thoughts explored in the time it took to post these words.. eh.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ask my tattoo if I am impulsive

Reactions: that and badgers

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I can be impulsive. Especially when I'm shopping at the mall, that's why I need a friend who will literally drag me away from things I want.

My last impulsive buy (well semi impulsive, I did think it through for a few hours) was a Coach bag. I have always wanted one because part of me is superficial and I noticed a massive sale and well I went for it.

Other than shopping, I'm not really that impulsive, I like to think things through.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can be impulsive. Not sure if that is more the fact of my age (19) or of cognitive functions per se.

Also, sometimes my actions/thoughts appear impulsive to others because I don't always explain my logic, or I'm just arguing/representing/embodying some random view-point/action randomly. Most of my friends are somewhat used to it by now though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think there is a void of confusion lying between the INTP's impulsive thoughts and their non-impulsive actions. And we gotta sort it out mannn. And even if the actions are impulsive, the seeing it through element ain't up to scratch. And we gotta sort it out mannn

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think through my impulsive actions thoroughly while I am doing them. :p

For instance, I decided to fly from California to Florida this weekend. Because why not!? I really don't have a better reason... at least I bought tickets 3 days in advance.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Are some of you guys impulsive sometimes? I generally think before doing things, but sometimes I do things without thinking of the consequences of my actions. This is usually when I am in a bad mood.

Do INTP's have a habit of always thinking things through, or do they sometimes let things slip instead of thinking of the consequences?
I almost always think things through, to minimize risk.

However, I'm far more willing to take some chances nowadays in the cases of:
1. High reward that hugely exceeds risk.
2. Risk where you can probably maneuver away from any potential loss.

i.e., if the stakes aren't that high, I'm more "lob a grenade in the middle to see what happens," versus in the past where i used to be somewhat anal in calculating everything up front.

Most things aren't complicated to think through, at least on the broad level -- it's pretty apparent up front what the general reward vs the general risk is.

EDIT: Gotta mirror what others have said, about potentially looking "impulsive" to some other people, in the case where I think a lot quicker than them. Not impulsive at all, they just need to catch up to where I've already been mentally. Some people think through things very linearly and laboriously.

Reactions: eks

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Kinda depends. I tend to spend way too much time over thinking, but I also get bored easily, so I'll kind of spontaneous decide to go somewhere. My INTP dad seems to be the same. He'll just randomly (or at least it seems to us) come back with a new fancy computer or randomly decide we're going camping in two hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts