Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know generally INTPs don't care for the physical part as much as the mental, but I am wondering if any INTPs are interested or are currently doing any physical exercises or sports. For me, throughout all my schools years, sports are basically a big no. I can't even sit in front of the TV for more than a minute watching sports, let alone participate in one. But recently, I've discovered that I actually enjoyed swimming. It doesn't have the same feel as solving a difficult riddle, but it is an enjoyment nevertheless.

As we all know, exercise provides great benefits, whether it is to increase our serotonin levels, our physical bodies, or just overall well-being. With that said, any thoughts on exercising? Or is it just a general avoidance?

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Martial arts and mountain biking are my preferred methods, but I can't go crazy with it like I did when I was younger... my body is riddled with too many debilitating injuries at this point.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I used to be physically fit 5-6 years ago. But for that I had to do 100 pushups, situps, run a mile, jumping jacks, crunches...

You get the idea. Anyway, that happened for 2 months in a summer camp and afterwards, I've had an aversion towards exercise ever since. Luckily my metabolism keeps me rail thin or else I would be obese...

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
I do it. It's one of those things that's incredibly boring but I force myself to do it because to be in good physical condition is important. As boring as it is it's a rational choice and I'll stick to it. I'm working on motivating myself with goals. My current goal is muscle mass and definition and also stamina (gotta be ready for zombie apocalypse). Since I'm exercising, I want to look good. To have something to show for all the effort.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Yes, exercise is for me, better than sport. It just has more focus and takes less time. And I like the adrenaline rush without having all that sweat build up and the stink.

·
Registered
412 Posts
When it comes to exercise, weight lifting is the only thing I do. It's fun to experiment with different workouts and diets. But most importantly, there is nothing more bad ass than lifting a bar with 300 lbs strapped onto it off the ground.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have a decently high metabolism (don't compare it to the people that eat anything and stay stick thin). I was into sports as a kid, and as of today I go to the gym every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If possible, I jog on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weekends are for doing nothing.

It's not half as bad as it seems before you do it, especially if you have a great trainer. I find exercise a necessity rather than fun. The only sport I enjoy playing is football (soccer). I do need someone to pester me, and my trainer/mom/friend do it well enough or I get lazy really fast.

The gym trainers scold me because I don't fully focus on exercises, and they apparently can tell when your mind is wandering off. I've explained to them multiple times that it's impossible for me to stop thinking and fully focus on push ups...

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
I actually really enjoy sports: badminton, volleyball, hockey, cross country, running, swimming...

Gym is boring unless there are lots of attractive people to look at.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I used to like swimming too, actually. I was pretty athletic when I was younger. My brother and I were the fastest in our class in lower school, and generally pretty well built for sports, so I played soccer and biked, and did swim team during the summer. I sort of tended towards solo sports in highschool (I ran XC, and did freestyle mountain biking). I wish I could run, but I injured myself, so I'm pretty wary of trying.

I should note also (since it was part of the question), I got a great deal out of running in highschool. It really helped me deal with stress, and just made me sharper all-around, so mental health is a benefit of exercise as well.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I can't even sit in front of the TV for more than a minute watching sports, let alone participate in one.
I actually prefer doing sports over watching them.

I do exercises in morning and running, but not entirely regularly. I do downhill skiing a lot, even amateur competitions.
I do lot of physical stuff in nature and i like to play quite any kind of sport once in a while.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I'm not busy goofing off on the computer, I do like exercising in general. But I don't like mindlessly lifting weights or running on a treadmill. I'd rather do something interesting like go on a walk through the forest because I can look around at nature, throw rocks into a stream, swing a stick around pretending it's a sword, etc. I also like dancing, but they tend to play the same annoying pop songs over and over, at least at the dance classes I took.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Running every morning. Tennis, volleyball, wake skating, surfing with friends is pretty fun. Running is great. I reach a meditative state toward the middle of my run and it's just relaxing all throughout.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found out last year that I love river kayaking. It's healthy exercise that is inherently in a changing, interesting, secluded environment.

And racing cars and gokarts. A far more physical requirement at higher performance levels than many people expect. Cardio and upper body. 1.5-2.5 lateral G results in lots of muscle use.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found out last year that I love river kayaking. It's healthy exercise that is inherently in a changing, interesting, secluded environment.

And racing cars and gokarts. A far more physical requirement at higher performance levels than many people expect. Cardio and upper body. 1.5-2.5 lateral G results in lots of muscle use.
Those activities all sounds really fun! I think I would love to try all of those out if I had someone to teach me the ropes and get started on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I definitely agree with what you said about the mental benefits of exercise, since jogging for seemingly no reason oftentimes helps me think and gives me a clearer head. I enjoy archery as well, oddly enough, if you count that as a sport.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I not only love working out but I need it. I've been active my entire life but in the last 2 years I didn't do anything. Like almost nothing. I just sat around and did regular life stuff. I really wanted to die near the end of it - it felt like my body was a prison.

I'm back in shape now. I like biking, but frisbee, running, lifting and other things are good too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was a runner before I tore a hip ligament. I did long distance but a lot of sprinting as well. I played ultimate frisbee and then coached it in university. I've always lifted weights and never stopped. I bike sometimes and will a lot more because it's summer in the city and the peasant wagon isn't for me. When I was running in highschool I would run with the best athlete on the cross country team but I refused to join the team because I didn't feel like competing in something that was so obviously beautiful by itself. I looove playing beach volleyball but that chance doesn't come around super often. I took a round of yoga classes with my dad who also has injuries but I don't like my pace or even direction being dictated by a teacher.

I find it is meditative to focus on the present and the execution of lifting stuff off the ground. One of the first meditation techniques that people new to meditation are taught is to focus on one thing because It's much easier than nothing. With enough practice even the weightlifting, the one thing, goes away. The other is to focus on the many things your senses are bringing in which is also very helpful for realizing the connection to your body.

I'm also really big on stretching and functional weight lifting. I saw an osteopath for a while when I was recovering from my hip injury and she really gave me a lot of insight into how the whole body works. I had a good model of muscle structures already from artistic pursuits but I hadn't connected all of the meaningful interrelations. Balancing my muscular system has become an endless pursuit that we seem to be prone to, that hunt for perfection and adjustment.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I not only love working out but I need it. I've been active my entire life but in the last 2 years I didn't do anything. Like almost nothing. I just sat around and did regular life stuff. I really wanted to die near the end of it - it felt like my body was a prison.

I'm back in shape now. I like biking, but frisbee, running, lifting and other things are good too.
What made you stop working out for 2 years when you clearly knew that your body needed it?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts