Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTPs! Hello. I noticed that INTP's weakest function is the ENFJ's strongest function.

How does the INTP's Fe express it self (as in what does it look like) when you are:

in love

overjoyed

deeply sad

rejected

angry

confused

Often when ENFJ's express the above feelings, you can tell very easily. We emote like a lawn sprinkler until we are tried and fall asleep. It is rare that you won't be able to see the emotion in our face, bodies, and behaviour. I wonder how it is for our INTP friends - as in how does Fe, in all its range expressed?

With Fe being the ENFJ's strongest function, I am also trying to work on my Ti. Perhaps you can add some tips on how to 'exercise' this function to make it stronger.

I guess that's 2 questions in one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Fe manifests itself in giving INTPs a chameleon like persona in social situations whereby we mirror the facial expressions and often times the energy levels of whoever we talk to, for as long as our energy holds out at least.

Fe can also lead us to feeling often unempathetic and certainly unsympathetic but certain inspirational movies/stories and particular songs can bring out a great deal of emotion that we aren't too familiar with, it can be overwhelming.

I also think Fe makes us forget the level of attention that our partner can need in a relationship.

I find that facial expressions help me to communicate to people I'm not very close to, it certainly helps me give the impression that I'm connected to what the other person is saying

Weak Fe makes it difficult to understanding the effects that our words can have, we may be called cold when we didnt mean to offend anyone in the group. Now and again I can be very aware of who in the group feels left out which is maybe attributed to this.

Exercising Ti, hmm, practicing paraphrasing arguments may help, noticing the strengths and weaknesses in things more. Analysing things you previously thought couldn't really be analysed, trying to see things from the point of view of others.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
How does the INTP's Fe express it self (as in what does it look like) when you are:
in love

overjoyed

deeply sad

rejected

angry

confused

Excited about some new discovery or piece of knowledge

Often when ENFJ's express the above feelings, you can tell very easily. We emote like a lawn sprinkler until we are tried and fall asleep. It is rare that you won't be able to see the emotion in our face, bodies, and behaviour. I wonder how it is for our INTP friends - as in how does Fe, in all its range expressed?
I wouldn't equate Fe = emotions, although Fe people are much more comfortable with expressing emotions as a way to relate to others.

More seriously (as opposed to the cartoons), it depends on the INTP. Some INTPs with strong Ti (maybe strong Si) and low-key Ne tend to flatten out all of their emotional responses as a matter of course, it's part of retaining objectivity and remaining detached to better process a situation from the outside.

INTPs who are more comfortable with Ne and/or not quite as introverted will be more animated typically at least in the realm of allowing amusement to be expressed. The most common emotion would be amusement/laughter and getting excited about possibilities. Negative emotions still tend to be buried or restrained, since they are negative and the INTP not only feels awkward but vulnerable on some level.

It doesn't mean emotions don't exist, but that by nature we kind of see them as something separate from "us" and we set them aside in order to make clear-headed decisions (from the rational perspective). My personal thought is that part of being human is having emotions, and they are valuable in terms of making some kinds of decisions especially dealing with relationships and quality of life. But typically the INTP will either flatten external display of emotions or else use them as tools to relate; typically laughter/humor is the most common emotion to be extraverted.

I don't have an answer to the other question at the moment.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Whenever I'm communicating to someone an idea I'm interested in Fe shows itself. Essentially, it comes in the form of enthusiasm. The problem is even when I'm showing my enthusiasm I often don't consider whether the person I'm with is interested in what I'm saying or not. I guess I will have to develop my Fe if I ever want to keep friends :unsure:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Whenever I'm communicating to someone an idea I'm interested in Fe shows itself. Essentially, it comes in the form of enthusiasm. The problem is even when I'm showing my enthusiasm I often don't consider whether the person I'm with is interested in what I'm saying or not. I guess I will have to develop my Fe if I ever want to keep friends :unsure:
Bleh... :bored: I don't want friends with people who wouldn't want to be friends with me just because they don't like listening to my ideas. It would be pointless. I'd have to pretend to be something that I'm just not. I'd be better off not having any friends if they don't even know the real me. And yeah, I've annoyed people. I don't care. There is no point to having friends if they can't deal with me. After all, I deal with them and their weird preferences and habits, and I don't complain.

Reactions: BlackMoonlight

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'd suggest Fe is a very background function to us, and if we are overly stimulated (angry, overjoyed, etc.) we may end up preferring the shadow functions. At that point we'd be making decisions from more of an Fi perspective (which none of use would want to admit).

Naturally that's speculative and our brains don't simply "choose one or the other." But the theory is, stress = shadow functions, not our inferior function.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd suggest Fe is a very background function to us, and if we are overly stimulated (angry, overjoyed, etc.) we may end up preferring the shadow functions. At that point we'd be making decisions from more of an Fi perspective (which none of use would want to admit).

Naturally that's speculative and our brains don't simply "choose one or the other." But the theory is, stress = shadow functions, not our inferior function.
I agree. When I get stressed I act very Fi rather than Ti. Every time I take a cognitive function test I test almost as high on Fi as Ti. I'm very much "this is my internal value and everyone leave me alone about it" when I'm stressed. I'm not even particularly logical about it at that point. It might be a type six security thing at that point. I cling to anything that will make me feel secure. Not that I would ever show anybody else how illogical I am being. It's more of an internal thing going on. I'll just refuse to talk to people at that point, because saying illogical things would practically kill me. The Fi of other people makes me intensely angry when I'm in that state. They'll make some statement, and I'll feel extremely angry that they aren't being accepting of the beliefs of others. It's really not fun to be at that state.

Reactions: eks

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think Fe is misunderstood by a lot of people and inferior Fe even more so.

INTPs do have Fe. Its position in the stack doesn't mean it's barely there, it means that it's there but it's not functioning in the healthiest way.

I have been noticing my inferior Fe more and more lately. It's possible that the inferior function plays a bigger role than I first thought.

Not sure how to answer your questions though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts