Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 20 and I'm about to apply for my first job. I tend to stutter a lot when asked about myself (or anything at all really) and sometimes, I tend to sound stupid because I can't get my words right. Advice or tips for my first ever interview?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I applied for a lot of jobs just some years ago and was pretty much wanted.
My ISTP stepfather taught me to "fake it". Because none INTP people usually understand the INTPness as insecurity and/or an indication that you're not a useful worker.
Though instead he told me to "fake it", which actually meant to "pick one of the multiply perspectives you think they might understand and go along with it, try to play along with that one".
So in short. Try playing your interviews or CV as if you were acting a shakespeare play.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
102 Posts
my first job was the electrictian... i HATE that job. and every job that you have to work with other people to complete your tasks. construcions jobs are totally NONONO.
my "favourites" are the ones where you have to deal with machines only and you can do (almost) everything by yourself.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
My first job was a data entry clerk at a cemetery. It was a summer job out of high school; quick 2-3 month task. No pressure to sell or make calls. I just had to restructure and create a better filing system for everything.

My next jobs were related to banking institution departments pertaining to retirement planning and the likes. Again data restructuring and filing.

People left me alone, and when I had to do daily tasks, it would be easy as pie.

If you cannot find a job straight up going the interview route, go check out temp agencies. Sure they they a cut of your hourly check, but they do a fantastic job at getting your resume and your talents out there to prospectives. If those places like you, after you work a certain amount of hours, the companies will buy out your contract and bring you in from temporary worker to permanent hire.

Once you're in, you can progress however you want to work your ass off to; climb corporate ladder, etc.

If you don't like the place you're currently working at via the temp agency, you can contact your account manager to reassign you elsewhere. It's their job to look for a job for you. It's your job to not do anything stupid so that both companies you're working for kick you out and not be eligible for rehire.

Then again, all this is still theory unless you experience it for yourself. Or disregard this altogether and pray on luck that you'll get accepted by the interview from the get-go.

Just my two cents.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
@qingdom is right. This is how I got my start. It also gives you the opportunity to check out a place and get a feel for it before you sign on the dotted line. There were several places that wanted to keep me, but I knew it was a bad idea. It's also great for fighting boredom, building your resume and references, and having some freedom.

Word of caution, sometimes, a place will try to keep you in place by promising a permanent job, but they keep pushing forward your hiring date. Unless you really want it, don't be afraid to give a deadline and walk if it hasn't been met. Again, the agency's job is to find a job for you. As long as the reports on you are good, there shouldn't be trouble getting a new place.

When interviewing at a temp agency, highlight your adaptability. They really love people that are laid back and change easily. The recruiters I've dealt with have all been easy going and appreciate when they meet someone similar. Adaptability is important. Also, all sorts of people tend to walk into these places off the street without preparing. I know that if you show up well-dressed with a proper resume, you're pretty much hired on the spot. If you can demonstrate skills (they may have you take tests there on-site to help with placement) you're in and they often can have work almost immediately.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I worked with a snake breeder for a while last year, very rewarding, lots of fun, many snake bites and much feces to deal with, but no job's perfect. Anyways, for the interview, focus on an aspect of the job you might like. Find some part of it that interests you, even if it's something along the lines of being interested in the different varieties and flavors of coffee beans if you were going for a coffee shop job, find something. Make it apparent to them that you want the job without coming across as desperate. It's a tricky balance, but it's possible to achieve it. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I'm 20 and I'm about to apply for my first job. I tend to stutter a lot when asked about myself (or anything at all really) and sometimes, I tend to sound stupid because I can't get my words right. Advice or tips for my first ever interview?
Go in with the mindset that you already have the job and the interview is just a formality... it'll help you be more confident and relaxed. Also, ask some questions of your own during the interview... it doesn't have to be anything profound, just something that gives the interviewer an opportunity to talk about you being in the position.

Don't negotiate salary until the end. If they open with a number, relate back some of what they told you about the position and your experience along with a counter-offer. Something like, "I think we're in the same ballpark... you mentioned earlier that [whatever] is a key duty in this position, and in consideration of my experience in [whatever], I think [higher dollar figure] is a salary more representative of the value I'll bring to your company." And if they want you to throw out your salary expectation first, do it basically the same way, except go a little higher than you expect to get and negotiate downward if need be.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Interviews are very hard.

Its a proces that can't be learned from reading about it. You have to go through it and make mistakes, then try again and make more mistakes. It's just one of the social norms that are biased against introverts and rewards extroverts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The thing that I find is take a breath before answering and gather yourself. Make sure you have a thoughtful face rather than blank face on for this. Talk low and slow and try to make eye contact. Again practice with a mirror.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I had always an adventage in showing what I have done.
My first job was game designer in company that opened international Mission Editing Competition which I had won.
I did some part-time programmer job for university spinn-off company when I was studying so I could later use that in portfolio.

Show that the job interests you. First thing they will try to find out whether you want to really do this job and learn to do it well or whether you just seek wage for doing the least you have to do in order to keep the job.
INTPs have certain adventage in that they calmly focus on the things to be done rather than office politics etc.

Try to imagine you are going to hire someone. What are you going to look for?
Do not forget that proven experience and excellence is costly and in high demand. Often you have to find the not yet recognized potential in people. What would you be looking for and what would be red-flags?

BTW if you want to practice, use real person who either employs people or at least has some experience in that area as employee.

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
My first (and only) job is at a fast food place. I'm not really suited to it in any conceivable way (being an INTP and all), but I've managed to be there for almost 2 years now. I'm constantly fantasizing about walking out of there mid-shift and just not answering my phone, never coming back into work... but I don't want to be homeless, and my family can't just support me while I have no job.

I have no degree, "transferable skills" or even a desire to wake up in the morning, so I just kinda have to live with it until I get fired some day. This "temp agency" thingy I'm hearing about seems kind of interesting, but I'm not sure if we have one where I live. Honestly, I'm not even sure what they would consider my "strengths" to be (in order to place into a job that I'm actually suited to)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts