Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this study, the author synthesizes results of studies about personality types of gifted adolescents. Fourteen studies were coded with 19 independent samples. The total number of identified participants in original studies was 5,723. The most common personality types among gifted adolescents were “intuitive” and “perceiving.” They were higher on the Introversion, Intuition, Thinking, and Perceiving dimensions of the personality scales of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) when compared to general high school students. Also, gifted adolescents differed within the group by gender and by ability. Based on the findings, the author discusses teaching practices for gifted students according to their personality preferences.
Although gifted adolescents demonstrate all personality types as measured by the MBTI, they tend to prefer certain types more than general high school students do. For instance, researchers (Delbridge-Parker & Robinson, 1989; Gallagher, 1990; Hoehn & Bireley, 1988) reported that about 50% or more of the gifted population is introverted compared to the general population, whose preference for introversion is 25%. Silverman (1985) found that 34% of 61 graduate students were extraverts, while 66% were introverts. However, some other studies have revealed different results about gifted adolescents’ preferences on the extraversion-introversion dimension. For example, Williams (1992) found that extraverts were more frequent than introverts in the gifted population. Yet, Csikszentmihalyi (1997) has argued that creative people have both traits at the same time, while the general population tends to be one or the other.
Research also reveals that most gifted adolescents are intuitive, as opposed to the general population, most of hom (70%) prefer sensing (Gallagher, 1990; Hawkins, 1997; Hoehn & Bireley, 1988; Mills, 1983; Myers & McCaulley, 1985a, 1985b; Olszewski-Kubilius & Kulieke, 1989; Williams, 1992). Since intuitive types are better at abstraction, symbols, theory, and possibilities, they outperform sensing types on aptitude tests. For example, when MBTI types of 3,503 high school male students in a college-preparatory curriculum were compared with the students’ IQ scores, all intuitive types had higher scores than sensing types (Myers & McCaulley, 1985b). Also, Delbridge-Parker and Robinson examined the MBTI preferences of 72 gifted junior high students who were finalists in the Duke Talent Identification Program and found that the gifted students showed strong preferences for intuition (75%).
SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?

Not a bad research... a confidence boost at the very least :D, but it has some implications, particularly the one which states that N's tend to be more intelligent than S's. Now this of course can be interpreted as "S's are stupid" but I'd say it's the tests that are slanted towards abstract reasoning, not senses, in which, guess what, N's excel.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Well thats certainly a boost to the ego! but im certain some Feeling or Sensing types could find arguments to discredit(or at the very least make up for) this if it ever reached their eyes.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats certainly a boost to the ego! but im certain some Feeling or Sensing types could find arguments to discredit(or at the very least make up for) this if it ever reached their eyes.
That's why I posted this here... otherwise I'd be typist, acting superior and whatnot. :bored:

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's why I posted this here... otherwise I'd be typist, acting superior and whatnot. :bored:
It isn't typist, acting superior, or anything if it's true. But like you said, IQ tests are probably biased toward intuitives.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Are these IQ tests like "How far can a dog run into a forest?"

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also found this, not exactly giftedness but another study into the relativity of IQ and MBTI

* Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person
(one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more
likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on
sensory details and the here-and-now).

* Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is
8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a
Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a
high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person
(one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than
a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).

* Moreover, if you encounter an INTJ (Introverted, iNtuitive,
Thinking, Judging), there is a 37% probability that his IQ places him
in the top 2 percent of the population. The probability is 20% for an
INTP, 15% for an INFJ, and 8% for an INFP. These four types account for
66% of the high-IQ population but only 6% of the total population.
Full article here: Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also found this, not exactly giftedness but another study into the relativity of IQ and MBTI

an N 27 times more likely to have a higher iq than an S... either we're missing something, IQ test are geared towards iNtuitives (intelligence as a measure could be geared towards intuitives), or S's are simply less intelligent.
But I'd say that if they measured EI or some kind of a social intelligence or work ethics, I bet S's would wipe the floor with us.

Reactions: absentminded

·
Registered
344 Posts
So, this is basically something we've known all along; now we have statisitcal evidence to back it up.

However, I still don't think that there is one real way to test intelligence, and it's hard to take these results seriously when the author can't spell "whom" correctly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
an N 27 times more likely to have a higher iq than an S... either we're missing something, IQ test are geared towards iNtuitives (intelligence as a measure could be geared towards intuitives), or S's are simply less intelligent.
But I'd say that if they measured EI or some kind of a social intelligence or work ethics, I bet S's would wipe the floor with us.
While I do love the emotional and physical threat that S's can wipe the floor with us, I usually see it the other way around in upper society where solving problems, creating new ideas, influence others, and pillaging gather the "wealth" and "power." Does that open a new dimension to N and S relations? I could be wrong, or I am just suggesting something...lol...what is crazy is an N manipulating another S to battle the S but a S can also manipulate another S to battle a N.

To not be bullied by a S dominant user, an N can imitate the S function!
To not be bullied by a N dominant user, an S can imitate the N function!

Don't know which is easier because I lay on one side. But if anyone ever does, tell us about it.

I do find S's more "physically attractive," or maybe I am just brainwashed.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
20% of INTPs qualifying as gifted? I'm not sure in which way this statistic is shocking... but it is rather shocking. I don't know if I would have said more or less.

Out of three I know, including myself, two could qualify for the top 2% of intelligence in society. It does seem like we would be in such a group. :bored:

I know several INTJs... one of them is gifted, possibly. He is less intelligent (damned well knows it), but at the same time, far above the general populace. It's strange.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would say that most aptitude/IQ tests are biased. The classical ESFJ would wipe the floor with the INTP when it comes to survival skills. If that's brilliant, I don't know what would be considered as such.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I do love the emotional and physical threat that S's can wipe the floor with us, I usually see it the other way around in upper society where solving problems, creating new ideas, influence others, and pillaging gather the "wealth" and "power." Does that open a new dimension to N and S relations? I could be wrong, or I am just suggesting something...lol...what is crazy is an N manipulating another S to battle the S but a S can also manipulate another S to battle a N.

To not be bullied by a S dominant user, an N can imitate the S function!
To not be bullied by a N dominant user, an S can imitate the N function!

Don't know which is easier because I lay on one side. But if anyone ever does, tell us about it.

I do find S's more "physically attractive," or maybe I am just brainwashed.
The old adage - knowledge is power - perfectly illustrates the fact that the most powerful people are intelligent and knowledgeable. However, they usually have to have good people skills and a wide social network, which would imply one needs a good mix of both S and N.
Regarding physical attractiveness, i also seem to be attracted to S's, esp. ES's, but only physically. I just don't think I could be in a relationship with them. They are gracious, really seductive and all that, but still - I can't stand them talking about what did they do last Saturday and how they saw this cool new purse blablabla... But they are really compassionate and accepting.
On the other hand, a lot of N's I know are so scatterbrained, and most of them are reserved and cold (probably NT's) which makes them so hard to get to know better. Those ENFx can be a tad too idealistic at times and a bit too hyper for me... But it's much easier to communicate with them, conversations are more fulfilling.
Alas, I'm more of a cold NT so perhaps SF's warmth is what draws me to them, I don't really know.
Just throwing some random observations.

I would say that most aptitude/IQ tests are biased. The classical ESFJ would wipe the floor with the INTP when it comes to survival skills. If that's brilliant, I don't know what would be considered as such.
I agree. I can shove intelligence up my arse if I won't be able to deal with social situations or be able to garden or do regular housework... because I'll "ponder the meaning of life" or whatever.
But those two are probably not correlated.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,817 Posts
My IQ is above average, but not in the gifted range.

My high school Spanish teacher actually used the word, "genius" to describe my ability to learn foreign language and had a meeting with my parents about it, and she wasn't even that fond of me, personally. I've also been told that I have a gift for writing since I was in elementary school.

I was a slacker from middle school on, for the most part. I've made some great, very random, academic achievements in high school but never did homework or attended class often enough to get good grades. I have diagnosed ADHD. I certainly don't use it as an an excuse but I do wonder if there may be a connection with certain types of ADHD( I actually have what's called overfocused/obsessive-compulsive ADHD. If you ask me this is closer to Asperger's syndrome but most professionals will argue vehemently that it is not) and the INTP type.

I am very passionate about a few subjects but never went far enough to be proficient in them which is an INTP as well as an ADHD personality trait.

Having said all of this, I am RETARDED in certain areas, and I really do mean it when I use that word, this is why my IQ is not in the gifted range.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I think of intelligence and survival skills as polar opposites though. Sensing types' minds aren't really built for time-consuming ventures like thinking and introspection. An ESFJ's quick glance, assigning something a label, and moving onto the next task better serves his/her primary interest--survival. But it deadens the ability to think critically and removes creativity. Without people who are unable to look outside of the box the world would have no progress. That's why I hold intelligence in higher regard than survival skills. IQ tests are biased towards intuition because that's where intelligence generally stems from.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The test results are no surprise to me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Giftedness programs for children seem to nurture N. Lots of Ne especially, for example a page full of circles and you have to use the circles to draw as many patterns and objects as you can. In a different one, they give you a future-based scenario and you come up with all the potential problems and ways to solve them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Hmm. But this article actually says"Most gifted adolescents are perceptive types according to this research synthesis."

Seems to go for IQ and aptitude etc. Everything but grades. Found that interesting... since I P a lot. Nice.

I don't put too much into it though... neither should anyone. But since we throw around stuff here....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts